PiTool 1.0.1.275 Discussion

You just explained it.

People whom have little to no issues with each update will have difficulty understanding those whom do. As it is not within there experience. And will seem odd that some report otherwise.

Much like others in the other camp will be frustrated that some seem to have a 4 leaf clover experience.

3 Likes

Ok…I have a pimax 5k+ and a 8kx.

Those have been working perfectly since day one , on a 2500k/Asus p67 sabertooth/GTX 1080,. On a i5 7600k /MSI Z270/ GTX1080 ti,. And now on a MSI Z390/9700k /2080ti.

All of them always overclocked on CPU/GPU/RAM

I had the bad firmware update problems because i have Thrustmaster devices and my computer sometimes thinks my pimax 8kx is a “Guillemot” thing.

Im not a profesional computer engenieer or a programer, i just read and follow the steps here on the forum to manualy flash my device when that happens.

I had the 299 firmware autoupdate problem
on 90hz mode with was solved 5 minutes after ,because i read the notes they gave us and did what they said to do if that happens.

I dedicate time to check what is the best DP port of my GPU, what USB 3.0 give me 0 problems (because i had two of those 5 second disconections, but i found where to plug It and never happen again, and my rig have 13 USB on use) what Hz mode on my monitor give me 0 conflicts, how to put and separate pimax DP cable from any other of the cables my simracing/flying rig have.

I play all Racing simulators whitout a single problem, DCS, Vtol ,SW squadrons, war thunder,

Also Alyx, BS, ping pong, Medal of Honor, hot, the lab… all games i tried , works whitout any problem.

Apart of Aircar that freezes on startup.

My only problem is that i had to buy 4 basestations on the last 2 years, because they dont stop selfdestructing.

I guess im one of those without problems , but i just say It.

4 Likes

If i close and open again SteamVR verty quickly , It doesnt find my pimax headset, no matter if i uninstall everything VR related and start over.

I have to go to steamVR settings and actívate the “pimax plugin” It also happens with FpsVR

Steamvr > settings > startup/shutdown > manage add-ons.

If your oculus games works fine but Steam VR doesn’t , maybe is that.

Try to avoid the use of overlay programs like MSI afterburner or Nvidia/AMD ones if you have SteamVR problems.

Also try to turn off any external motion compensation plugins

4 Likes

Yeah that’s always been a thing for me not just with recent Pitool versions

Hi,
As my index controller were not recognized anymore I tried to install the last pitool as pitool was telling me there was a new version. So just clicked update… and then it falshes my 5K+ without asking for permission and now it’s bricked.
It failed many many times after hitting retry.
I’ve seen the guillemot issue. But impossible to find the firmware as PImax VR download page i private…
Anyone having last 5k+ firmware somewhere?

EDIT : restarted PC and Pitool, flashing happens autoimatically, success… You really need to have nerve to run PiMAX…

1 Like

which is fine unless you need them.

1 Like

I have also been ok Pitools

1 Like

You might want to check device manager, i used to have an issue with vr headsets deactivating in device manager whenever they went to sleep so i had to manually enable it again, or disable and re enable for it to work

3 Likes

Okay, I am playing with .275 since almost one month now, and after the first problems I mentioned above, I can say that .275

• is working 99% flawless, and
  • seems to provide a little better, smoother performance in both truck sims than the former .270 I used before.

Only major issue still:
pi_overlay.exe creates critical errors everytime when being closed:

=> 100% reproducible.
… and did not happen at all with .270 before (or only once or twice in a couple of months).

(And besides the still persisting firmware flashing issue also mentioned above.)

2 Likes

It’s been stable and working well for me, too.

I get this crash only if it’s being shutdown because I’m shutting down Windows. Like you, I get it every time in that case. If I just quit Pitool itself, it never crashes.

SteamVR causes problems if I try to shutdown while it’s still running, too. So my habit has become to manually quit SteamVR and then quit Pitool and then shutdown Windows. And this seems to avoid having any problems.

Also be wary that Pitool doesn’t just close to the system tray but is still actually running. It needs to be actually quit manually to avoid this crash on Windows shutdown.

I know :slight_smile:

But it is exactly and only when closing it manually and completely that the critical error occurs:

grafik

… or perhaps when shutting down Windows, too, I don’t know, since I do it always directly this way after a VR session as I do not want the HMD to draw power for nothing for hours:

1. closing SteamVR
  2. closing PiTool manually
  3. switching off USB-power and lighthouse

As mentioned, this worked without major issues with .270 before. But not so since .275 …

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.