Pimax VR Experience - 0.85.0.0 Public Beta - Discussions šŸ’¬

Itā€™s unfortunate that you have experienced such issue with PE. I cannot speak from PiTool side, why this has happened.

Sure! Added to backlog. Am I correct to assume that you have already tried running the PE executable yourself and it run it? In other words, running PE exe works fine when PiTool is running, but PiTool itself never runs PE, no matter how often you untick/tick the ā€œStart Pimax VR Homeā€ checkbox.

You probably just need to reinstall Pimax Experience after updating PiToolā€¦ Unless they included it in PiTool this time?

Just confirmed. PE is not included in the new version of PiTool.

OK I did re-install it with no change but as I did so I noted where Experience is installed and created a shortcut on the Desktop. That briefly started Experience but it closed after a few seconds.

I have now tried unticking and ticking ā€˜Start Pimax VR Homeā€™ as someone else suggested. That seems to work. Watch this space.

When I installed Experience I read that I should tick ā€˜Start VR Pimax Homeā€™. I took this to mean I should turn it on as a one time excercise and leave it on (I was advised in the early Pimax days to turn it off). I did not realise it was an off-on ā€˜switchā€™ to turn on Experience and had to be repeated anytime I wanted to restart Experience. The instructions are not at all clear.

Someone else made a smart comment about reading the instructions. None come wth the downloads.
and instructions buried in forums are not the way to go.

3 Likes

It should be a one-time thing. Enable and leave enabled. Butā€¦ If You ever close Pimax Experience You can start it again by toggling it off/on in PiTool (stopping/starting PiTool or rebooting would do the same thing of course).

If Pimax Experience is running You can restart it from within the VR GUI.

That said, it seems like itā€™s a good thing to reboot after updating/installing PiTool (and re-installing Pimax Experience).

2 Likes

When this issue happens, it indicates a problem in PiTool and/or PiService (made by Pimax).
In simple terms: the PiTool app controls the launch of PE. Pi Service decided at what point PE should be stopped or started again.

Yes, unfortunately PiTool still has the same bug as about a year ago, where it does not start PE automatically, even when the checkbox is ticked. Considering this bug, I mentioned to untick and then tick the checkbox ā€œStart Pimax VR Homeā€, in the setup instructions.

Since PE is currently in beta and not officially released yet, we try to gather bug reports, solve issues, add new features from backlog, till we have a robust app. I hope everyone takes into consideration that beta builds are meant for testing and gathering feedback.

Once PE is ready for public release, we hope it will be bundled with PiTool properly, where the users wonā€™t have to bother coming to the forum for instructions.

If anyone else ever experiences issues where ticking the checkbox in PiTool does not start PE for them, please make sure you report this issue to Pimax so they become aware and hopefully fix it!
(Iā€™ve mentioned it before that I do not work for Pimax, nor do I have access to any of their teams.)

2 Likes

A new hotfix 0.85.0.1 is available:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-vr-experience-version-0-85-0-0-public-beta-available-now/34964/2?u=arminelec

3 Likes

So V84 works best for me so far.

V85.0 ran very badly, and V85.1 doesnā€™t run. Games start with extremely higher resolution. 123434343434 x 2323232322335 LOL

V85 is full of bugs.

1 Like

Iā€™ve asked users before, when you find a bug, kindly report it under Bug Reports, with proper title and description, along with the log files. This way the bugs can be tracked and investigated properly.

5 Likes

arminelec, thank you for the explanations and I wonā€™t take up any more of your time. I have found the whole Pitool/SteamVR/Experience process clunky and would love an automatic PC startup routine that took care of all that without me having to even think about that chain of apps, and a one click desktop icon that removed all of that from my hands and simply restarted Experience when necessary. btw I used .85 last night with no obvious problems although curiously when I closed my game (DCS) Experience closed as I have come to expect and unticking/ticking Start VR Home didnā€™t activate it although when I re-started DCS it started again. Iā€™m not reporting this as a bug as it was probably something I did. Iā€™ll wait for future releases.

What kind of log?
Where can I find the log?

hi

there is a bug when setting the colors.
the slider remains blocked to the right

I tested out the Alyx cloud profile last night. I think it looks goodā€¦visually look nice for the RTX 3090. I played for 2hrs. But I got to say, the blood doesnā€™t look rightā€¦it looks like 2d or 4d or somethingā€¦I cannot see the blood. Do I need to turn on Parallel Projection or something?

Can you add Arizona Sunshine and Phasmophobia on cloud for RTX 3090.

You need to add arguments to the steam launcher for Alex.

How? Why? Whatā€™s the arguments?

https://community.openmr.ai/t/half-life-alyx-guide/34371/2
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8kx-half-life-alyx-no-pp-large-fov-with-fog-really-amazing/32630/2

1 Like

Those command line parms are already built-in to the HL-A cloud profile.

3 Likes

Ah, I didnā€™t realise. Must not be working though if the blood is displaying incorrectly.

How do you NOT load PE in full screen mode? I remember when I start using it, it was in small window mode and I like it that way.

Can somebody create cloud profiles for Project Car 1 & 2 (RTX 3090)? I am about to start playing them.

Okay, the blood looking weird is now resolved, thanks.