Pimax Time to answer the CES train wreck

:laughing:

I understand that the nature of the prototypes is to test the operation , but Pimax goes to CES to show the headset, I do not think you spend $ 200,000 to receive a fedback they know.

How many companies are there at CES with non-functional products?

it’s my humble opinion.

7 Likes

I’m asking why if they’re so obvious, aren’t all reviewers seeing these flaws? Could it be that these flaws aren’t as glaring as the roadtovr review made them out to be?

They had to book the place way before CES started and their estimate was that they have a product to deliver in January 2018. Things didn’t went as they thought but the money was spend already. So if you don’t show up you just blown 200k out of the window. Also don’t underestimate the guys with big money in their pocket that run around those shows to look for products they can invest in. If you don’t show up you can’t run in those people.

3 Likes

it’s possible, but there are more opinions that speak of the same defects.
We have to be patient and read more opinions, I think criticize it’s good to do a good work.

1 Like

And would not it have been easier to say that they have problems and show v3?

1 Like

If you want feedback on your latest prototype you don’t show up with the older prototype… pretty useless.
Also if i tell you beforehand we have this and that problem users actively are looking for exactly those flaws and eventually overlook the other flaws your device might have.

Somtimes in development you think you run into a problem that needs to be adressed and waste all the time to fix it but if you would have given another person the opportunity to test without telling them the problem you saw, it suddenly turns out that there is no real problem but instead some other things need to be adressed.

Just think about it like you are renovating your flat or house while doing so you see every flaw and you know every place where you screwed up but your visitors or guests would never notice them without asking them to have a look.

1 Like

Hi, xunshu:

Regardless of the reported problems, has anyone been able to try an Oculus Rift game through Revive?

Thanks.

6 Likes

the backers read in a post to Pimax that if it seemed good this prototype would be the product to send. There are no things to solve to talk about shipping.

1 Like

Afaik they don’t.
They delayed at least till march because they are not ready but they offered to deliver a few preproduction units to guys who are willing to take the risk to test a not finished product.
The reason why they delayed doesn’t matter the only important thing is that they are aware of their problems and that there are ways to fix it.

1 Like

There are more opinions that speak of the same defect? Can you post more than 10 of them?

I’ll give you the easy way out, can you post more than 5?

The only reputable (vr) publication to outright dis pimax was roadtovr.

Road to VR has been pretty useless at reporting on the Pimax 8k. They haven’t even tried the V2/V3. Their heads are right up Facebooks ass

The V5 definatly has some issues though. Hope they get it sorted quick and try droping the FOV

Now what would be interesting is if Norm and Jeremy give it a try

5 Likes

It seems that the crew of UploadVR will go to try the Pimax this Thursday, at least they insinuate it, showing an image of the Pimax 8K before the update for this Thursday 11 “Updates coming soon.” .

4 Likes

HTC has won the award for best vr device of CES 2018, why?

• Did they have a much more promising device? not…

• Did they have more resolution? not…

• Did they have 200º of fov? not…

• Had they passed the Oculus kickstarter campaign? not…

• Do they understand what the CES means? of course, yes!!!

Here I am 100% in agreement, but if we are so different despite being of the same species and living on the same planet, why not have a group of testers that have these different variables?

It must be very frustrating to be working for 3 months wondering if that job would please the majority, go to an exhibition and confirm that doubt negatively…

3 Likes

V5 is the first prototype after the tooling for mass production. It requests lots of tuning works.
However, we still decide to bring it to CES to showcase the backers the latest version.

We made several changes with v5 before CES.
For example, the lenses and the mechanical design of the lenses are both new tooling version. The change may lead to new issues, e.g. the reflections, but the issues will be eliminated and the benefit of the new design will reveal after fine tuning.
To reach approximate 30% increase in terms of brightness level, we added 3 more LEDs in the backlight panel from 12 to 15 and increased the LED current supply to the panel as well. As a result, the current supply in other parts decreases and new issues occurs e.g. tracking performance. It’s not hard to resolve, the team is working on it.
We use valve tracking technology, the tracking performance won’t be an issue at all in the final product.

After hardware and software fine tuning and all the issues resolved, we plan to ship limited number of testing units to selected backers, and may bring the units to more backers to test via roadshows.
The details of the issues and analysis, along with shipping schedule will be updated later this month.

56 Likes

That’s very good that you’ll fix the tracking by the end. BUT, can these be fixed:
1-Weird distortions and convergence issues that many reviewers noticed in v5.
2- The fish eye view and latency that were noticed
3-the mura

These are the most important things to fix. If these aren’t fixed by the end, the rest won’t matter much

5 Likes

Yes we will make sure to fix those. needs more tuning on the new machine.

9 Likes

These COULD both easily be software issues. New lenses also need new software to process them correctly, it’s very well possible that they didn’t have time yet to match the software to the lenses. Anyway maybe @deletedpimaxrep1 can elaborate

7 Likes