Pimax Time to answer the CES train wreck

Wait a minute Xunshu, what feedback are yout talking about ?

You wanna say that you were waiting for someone to tell you that tracking is not working, there is a bad image and artifacts on screen, and so ? You needed someone to tell you about all of this ?

If accidentaly nobody was reviewing this headset at CES , you believed that it was good and started shipping ? This is what you are doing there and the way you think ?

Are you Pimax staff working on this project anymore ?

11 Likes

People from different countries and backgrounds are not identical in terms of vision, sensitivity, and preference.
It’s not our plan to hide the prototype in the lab until the product perfectly done.

12 Likes

Wow so much negativity atm, and all basically based on one RoadToVR review…

But do you remember the v2 prototype? Hundreds of people were blown away on VR Days, including me. We saw practically no issues, we just experienced a very well working headset with FOV, resolution, colours, tracking and functionality being just as promised. We loved it!

But for some reason the “big” Tested guys did see distorsion. The “almighty” Linus as well… and he even got nausea… lol

Well… I wont worry about v5 prototype before I try it myself. You shouldn’t either.

Just sayin’… :wink:

16 Likes

Man I like your YT # but for you every new game and other stuff is just amazing , wow and awesome… Seriously I prefer recive feedback from neutral attitude and analiticaly thinking person. No offence…

1 Like

Yeah i can totally agree with you. ONE BAD review and the whole community went crazy ffs. This is fucked up. I’m confident that the Pimax will address all the issues and they will fix them if its the case and release a good consumer product.

1 Like

There are actually 3/4 other reviews on Reddit which concord with RoadToVR review.

in contrast i remember the days when all the reviews for the CV1 was so perfect when the actual product had so much unrevealed problem when we received it, it took Oculus 6 months to fix most of these issues through software updates.

1 Like

Yes it’s just crazy how people are reacting here, I found the R2VR review had a very sarcastic approach to it from the start as well. Unfortunately this is the result of people parting with money they can’t afford to part with. They have a false belief that Kickstarter is like a normal store and they have purchased a product and should receive that product as described ASAP.

BTW love your YT videos, you’ve got such a great positive energy about you which makes watching you so enjoyable.

1 Like

Yes but at the time there was noting to compare it to, it was the first of this new Gen of VR so of course people would have nothing bad to say about it. Be realistic please.

@Yata_PL Life is too short to play bad games. The videos of VR games you see on my channel are hardly 20% of all games I try. Poor VR games are just not worth my time. I spend normally 8-12 hours or more on every video. I prefer to show you what really IS great, the hand-picked games I decide to record.

So if you assume Im amazed about all games you are very wrong. I would say 80% is crap, the rest is great. Sad but true.

Same goes for hardware. This is one of the reasons I prefer to invest 1200 bucks on 2 Pimax 8K headset sets instead of 500 bucks on a Microsoft MR headset that didn’t impress on me at all.

No hard feelings :wink: cheers

13 Likes

i dont get that , you need others opinions to fix basic issues with optics ,and tracking… this is hilarious
If you took 2 products for example - 1 with 180 fov but super sharp image and 2-nd 200 fov but less sharp but still working great I would understand that[quote=“xunshu, post:62, topic:4955, full:true”]
People from different countries and backgrounds are not identical in terms of vision, sensitivity, and preference.
It’s not our plan to hide the prototype in the lab until the product perfectly done.
[/quote]

1 Like

Why do you think companies send out products to Testers? If you want your product to work you need feedback and you only get feedback if people can test it. Thats also one reason why companies bring their prototypes to exhibitions to see how casual people react to your product outside the test environment.

Like the nose gap on Asian HMD’s for example. Sometimes it is (was) a real problem for west customers because the Asian noses are smaller so the HMD was sitting on the noses of west customers and were very uncomfortable to wear. Or like on the last prototype there were reports that the lens was to close to the eyes on the Pimax.

If no one reported those problems or gave feedback you can’t resolve those problems.

1 Like

Yes , I agree with you but there are things that are obvious and you do not need opinion from anyone you see them for yourself

3 Likes

In guess it is not only the RTVR report, as others have pointed out, and I have not seen any single good review so far, which is different to e.g. VR Days (and I was in Amsterdam too and impressed enough to back the 8K(X) and 8K). So there clearly is something wrong with the V5 prototype they brought along, which is a pity because we all had little news on the progress since KS ended.

And I was convinced of the 8K during my hands on, but it still had the convergence thing going on nevertheless. But it was not that disturbing to me although I did notice it, and I was convinced this would be dealt with by adding the IPD adjustor, so considered it a flaw of the prototype iteration and something they would surely resolve in their next iteration. Well, that apparently has not happened. The big question now is, is this a bigger issue than I thought ? Is the level of discomfort or distortion caused depending on the individual‘s IPD ? That would probably be good news for me, because I found it okay-ish if not ideal; but for others that may kill the experience.

So I think it is fair to be somewhat concerned about the state of the 8K, but not to now conclude that it is trash and will never be a good product even if it takes them a few months longer than we hoped for.

As to the RTVR review: put yourself in their shoes. They are to review a near final prototype, which you then expect to only have minimal flaws, if any, at such late stage before release of the product. And then you experience a number of really noticable flaws. I think this is where then the effect of having used very bold promises (8K, delivery starting in Jan, controllers to be added by March which only exist in concept drawing at the end of KS, promise to add eye-tracking, wireless) start to haunt Pimax because the reviewers, who talk t many other VR companies may start to feel that the guys just promise way too much and then come to a show CES weeks before scheduled delivery with a product which has a whole list of deficiencies to address. I do see how this can then kick off a negative review, to be honest.

I certainly still have hope, because at VR Days I felt it would even be not ideal, but acceptable as worse (not worst) case scenario to get a product more or less like the V2.

2 Likes

I’m not talking about playing bad games but even good games have issues. The same with hardware … For example for you TP-Cast is great but for me this tech is not worth buing at this stage. I have more examples but will not post it here. I really like your attitude and I know it serve you and your # well
Whatever you say I noticed that you are not very analitical in observations :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dunno- I agree with SweViver because of the price of the Tpcast. Otherwise it is amazing. But it is easier to say that if you own one, you know? That doesn’t have bearing on if he is analytical in his videos. I think his view is reasonable though because VR just isn’t the same tethered once you are untethered, but 300.00 is steep for the package.

Thats the nature of prototypes they have their problems and i am 100% sure the devs are aware of 90% of them.
The other 10% are the things like the space for nose and eyes, weight distribution… things you can’t test in the lab because people around the world have different needs and wants.

So option 1 is to not show up at any show because your prototype has problems you are aware of and you prefer to work in the dark and hope that your final product works like it was intented on paper.

Option 2: Take your prototype with the flaws you are aware of show up at shows get feedback from random people take the feedback and improve the product further.

Option 1 is done by companies and there is a german proverb for it " Friss oder stirb" basically meaning the customer has no say in the final product and has to take what is finally offered with no alterantive.

Option 2 is more risky for the company because it offers more inside in the R&D process of the product and as we noticed now can cause outrage if the intention is not communicated well enough.
But in the end Option 2 is more userfriendly and also if done right benefits the company because they can rely on the feedback they got from users.

If you wonder why many developers go with option 1 and only use their own selected testers with a strict NDA just read the last threads in this forum.

Just remember Pimax doesn’t need to give us status updates at all if they want to they could go dark for the rest of the dev time and just release a final product no matter what the people think about it.

If you ask me i like their approach more because these days you seldom get that much of a say in a future product.

Questrion is how much do they listen and how much of the input can be realised in the final product.

We will see…

2 Likes

I get why people are upset about v5 having a lot of issues. But what I don’t get is people being upset about the company not communicating enough. You think HTC, Facebook or Sony gave any progress of their CV1 or answered questions about it every single day before it got released? No, they didn’t, they were closed off to their consumer base completely. I appreciate how open Pimax has been about production of the product even if there has been some miscommunication a long the way. I just hope they take feedback they get from this event seriously and know that they need to fix all of them if they want to release a successful product.

3 Likes

If it’s so obvious, why don’t all the reviews point out these flaws?

I speak of obvious in this last prototype, not in the previous ones, or have they gone to CES without trying this latest version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=g57LxM-GcSc

5 Likes