Pimax Roadshow-Second stop: Yullbe Wunderland

This is because you may be an enthusiast, but not an enthusiast like me, as I wrote. I understand that answering on the Internet “you can’t speak for everyone” is a great satisfaction, but it shouldn’t be used even with those who obviously aren’t speaking for everyone.

Portal is not a VR headset, although it can be slipped into a cardboard, it’s a gaming console that Pimax produces for just one purpose: increasing components orders. I’m not going to mix Portal talk with VR headset talk

Despite of seeing very few similarities between Focus 3 and Crystal, HTC’s product is business-oriented, not consumer-oriented, and uses proven and consolidated (and often poor) non-innovative technologies

Impossible, you would take away all the most innovative functions to get a product to market faster. The reason I don’t hate you is that your words fortunately have no practical effect :grin:

3 Likes

@Atmos That would be too bad since I’ve signed up for one. I think there could be a huge market for this in many markets.
For me, the attraction is a low cost VR setup that I can demo without fear to my friends and relatives.
I have this feeling that if Pimax bio-engineered a goose that laid gold eggs, you’d criticize it because egg shapes don’t stac as well as cubes.
There’s a difference between fair criticism and unremitting hatred disguised as criticism.
You consistently choose the latter.

2 Likes

I made a chart showing the differences.

2 Likes

Even by the standards in your table, the crystal comes out on top. Aspheric lenses are really nice tried and true optics, it has the same chipset as the quest 2 but with active cooling, it’s higher resolution, and something that your table doesn’t address hot-swappable batteries.

The crystal’s competitor in the mobile space would be quest pro.

You’d be spending the same money as you would on a quest pro but have a dedicated display port connection to actually get native PC support.

The only thing quest pro has going for it are the pancake lenses, but because the crystal has the exchangeable lens design, PiMax can update those at their leisure.

The fact they have local dimming working on their prototype right now is insanely impressive.

With regard to a storefront, I think PiMax can get there. Since it’s the same chipset, porting should be easy.

I do wish that we could get some Pimax 1.0 level cross compatibility with other vendors devices.

I think it would be insanely smart to see if you could get a an old oculus, go, or gear, VR translation layer for those old-school apps. Just something that could get PIMAX in the door without having to establish a storefront of their own first.

3 Likes

I know and people call me a hater! That’s the thing people missunderstand about me. I’m not criticising Pimax for making Crystal if it all works perfect. Fantastic I buy the 12k when it comes. I criticise the premature videos they make, the timelines they break, the specs they fake and the denial they make.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say you’re a hater, it’s just that this brand has established itself as a top tier PCVR option, so some people see the focus on mobile as a distraction, and pointing it out as a bad thing, lol.

One thing that I thought was interesting as a possibility with the built-in XR2.

If you could plug the headset into say a Blu-ray player, or a PS5 and have a theater screen run on the built-in SOC.

Like big screen, but for your analog devices. Some kind of interface with Plex could probably make that a possibility.

The companies communication is always more optimistic than what they deliver at first, but they also don’t abandon a product right away as a Google might do. I think they will be just fine utilizing the mobile features on the Crystal, they just need the Fanbase to get out and beg their favorite developers to port Quest two software

I think they should plaster Tobii’s name all over when trying to get support for their store. That company wouldn’t waste time on something that they didn’t think would do well.

1 Like

I could of made more reds for Crystal like size, build quality, OS, plug and play, battery life but we just don’t know until we get a production unit.

1 Like

Hehe yeah that’s typical Pimax. You can see it in this video too at this timepoint:

Where Sebastian brings up the lens problem. While he’s talking you clearly see that someone is trying to give Josh instructions on what to do. And then when he has a chance he completely tries to change the subject. So I bet Kevin was there holding up a sign: “CHANGE THE SUBJECT”, hehehe. But yeah this is SO typical Pimax strategy. Instead of fixing the problems, just pretend they’re not there or blame the user (just like Sweviver says “That’s what YOU think”. This seems to be company policy since they’ve been doing this a long time. I remember how they blamed distortion on the user for example, I think Kevin said it was due to ‘weird facial shape’ LOL. You’d hope they’d listen and fix the problems but they seem to prefer to blame the user instead.

5 Likes

@Djonko @Axacuatl Just confirmed by MRTV, there’s a new PCVR DisplayPort headset about to be announced in the next few days

5 Likes

Probably that HTC headset.

that reaction was so annoying to see. In stead of being professional and say thank you we will look at this, they got offended and try to escape, even blame it on the user. Very dissapointing,
I really appreciate Sebastian’s honesty, adressing this, you can feel the pressure.
(Edit) it’s good to say i have nothing against Martin and co, and it’s very special they do this and make direct contact with the community and work this hard. But just be prepared and even gratefull these things come up before mass production

5 Likes

Huge props to MRTV on this interview btw, I think he pointed out a major problem with geniune hope for it to be improved while also being sure to point out how many others things are good. There was absolutely no malicion or such, I think he does geniunely really like the headset and just wants that issue fixed so that it’s great for everyone.

Thankfully the issue should be fixable by the lenses and the lenses are interchangable so that’s pretty positive.

I don’t think that’s true tbh, what you’re seeing Josh looking at is the live chat as he references it multiple times. I was expecting him to pull out his phone or something based on your comment. I think it’s a bit unfair to assume that someone was telling him to change the subject, I think he just done that himself. They definitely were doing damage control but that’s pretty understandable I think. Overall I think Pimax deserve credit for the roadshow approach and going for livestream discussions like this etc.

1 Like

Aka The Flocus.

This was one off the better interviews from @mixedrealityTV ,i enjoyed it…

I REALY hope they listen and fix the lens,then i want the unit again if the steam vr facelate works great …

2 Likes

If I was going to guess a new headset in two days I would guess a Reverb G3.

The G2 has been discounted for the last few weeks. HP could dump WMR and go XR2 for simplicity and go 2880x2880. They have a semi relationship with MRTV and he’s getting A headset to try in 2 days.

If it is the above - Crystal is doomed.

2 Likes

i hope it is a G3 with that res i would very likely buy it, i owned a G2 for 10 months and rated it apart from some hardware issues i had. personally i don’t think it will be a G3 though, i think Seb would be more excited if it was. hope i’m wrong though.

3 Likes

I guess considering they partnered with Valve to make the G2, it could be that they continue that partnership and release a full on lighthouse tracked headset.

But uploadVR’s David Heaney, and a few other reputable sources, seem to be off the impression that HP are leaving the VR market which could also explain the large discount.

1 Like

wow that would be great…

1 Like