Pimax Roadshow-Second stop: Yullbe Wunderland

I can try. but our pimax reps need to also make this easier by not posting Several topics for the same Roadshow stop.

I will see if zi can make sometime to organize maybe a closed megathread of just quoted impressions. As long as a Topic is open ppl will post and with The Crystal not released as stated it was at the end of Sept People will mildly veer off.

Best would have been Pimax Rep to have created the core topic in Announcements with a linked Discussion Topic. Then simply adding a review when posted to the Announcement category for easy uncluttered reading.

If you can do me a base favor and give me links to the is 3 main discussion topics for the EU and when I have some free time will try to sort it. Any help to particular impression posts would be Awesome. A pm can work.

It’s called Yullbe Wunderland because you’ll be wundering when the rest of the Crystal will be operational. :grinning:

The controller tracking method in no way dictates whether a headset is PCVR or not. Are WMR and Rift S not PCVR headsets?

Focus 3 is an enterprise standalone headset that can also do non-native PCVR, Crystal is a consumer PCVR headset that can do standalone as an afterthought (…someday).

What’s your point? That better headsets might come out later with better feature sets and/or price? That’s always the way. Like you’d never buy anything, especially in a fast moving hardware space like this, if you’re hanging onto what the next thing is.

Well…yeah? That’s just how things work. There’s no way for Pimax to stop competitors coming out with competition, but for us consumers that’s great.

1 Like

Speaking of which… I never got clear on whether this is a matter of Pimax bringing an Aero, for comparison at all the locations, or a matter of this opportunity arising incidentally, due to some of the host venues happening to own one… Anybody?

1 Like

MRTV had one and they were using it here but I do recall Sweviver mentioning they would be showing the Aero side by side at the road show, my impression was that they were bringing their own Aero also. Iirc I think someone at Berlin mentioning seeing the Aero side by side, which was obviously before the MRTV event.

1 Like

To be precise, the feedback about the displays was very positive - resolution, blacks, colors. The lenses do their job, but there’s the issue that some, including me, mentioned of them feeling somehow a bit off. Then you could add the material feeling pretty solid this time.

So where are they in the process?

Pimax are most experienced in displays and lenses because these are core components of every headset ever produced. Good.

But eye-tracking/DFR, wireless and mixed reality are not there yet. Three of the major and most challenging components of their new product line. Honestly, this might take just 2-3 months or another 18 months, we simply can’t tell at this stage. And from experience we know that Pimax will only tell us that it is delayed for another couple of months if a deadline they set expires in 5 minutes. Not earlier.

2 Likes

@Atmos : “If I worked for Pimax you would love me. No doubt.”
I don’t know about that. You’d probably be fired before I had a chance to dislike you.
OR… maybe you’d be a good employee and a devil’s advocate to keep the Dev and marketing teams on point.
I think all companies need some people who can be a little adversarial in the interest of improving the product.

Also currently no headset in Standalone mode uses Lighthouse Tracking.

Except that it is being demoed even if not released yet for reasons that it is still not ready. So it indeed exists.

1 Like

This is an excellent question as we know that the Crystal is not as close to being ready as reported at the end of September and no updates on the original “worldwide release in November” to purchase.

Since from my understanding ET and even the basic WiFi 6 wireless mode is not being demoed. Maybe @PimaxQuorra can inquire on the next estimated Release Date from the Team.

I think I’d go deeper than keeping poeople on point. I would change Pimaxes whole structure from top to bottom. Management, product design, marketing, sales targets, etc. It would be a company with a future for sure.

The displays are off the shelf. Pimax don’t develop panels.

:joy: I don’t think so, otherwise you would have had your own VR company long ago.

1 Like

But they are looking for the right ones from the mass of existing ones. Just like everyone else. This, too, is work that needs to be considered and done.

Who owns Pimax? I think the people who stumped up $40 million.

Who knows. At least not the Kickstart bakers. :wink:
Even if you sometimes get the feeling here in the forum. :joy:

Most manufacturers take the BoM v sales to equal profit. Pimax have a high BoM and relitively low sales. Not a good combination which is why you avoid the 7% kickstarter fee at all costs.

If we simplify matters, that‘s true. But then you‘d be a master chef too if somebody just dropped you the ingredients for a delicate meal and voila, it‘s certain to end up being delicious.

Eye-tracking is from Tobii, so surely no issue, it will work in the new headset right away, he? No, because Pimax don‘t know too much of integration of eye-tracking into a headset. The Droloon ET module was a failure.

I believe the true challenge for such systems lies in the integration of its components. From big naval projects I know that the integration responsibility was always a very sensitive subject and added substantial amounts because while on paper things are supposedly fitting, in practice you‘d find all sort of non-specified elements which caused issues in their interaction with other components of the system, while working perfectly stand-alone and not being in breach of the specified parts of their component either. Sorting all of that out is no easy feat - and sometimes simply cannot be done w/o major re-design work.

And my guess is that Pimax tend to underestimate the challenges, just walk around and fill their basket in the big virtual store of tech components and then assume, they‘ll just do some trial & error and it will work eventually - „just give us 2 months for integration, then it‘ll be ready for release“.

5 Likes

Stop meddling in company affairs. That does not concern you. Unless you are a major shareholder. Are you?

1 Like

If I was Portal would not exist.

Thats pretty much what Qualcomm does. They give you their reference design and anyone with the money can buy in. The thing is, easy in is easy out when a competitor does your USP better than you. Crystal has deminished Pimaxes USP which is FoV and it’s open to companies like HTC to nudge their next Focus HMD up from 2448 x 2448 to Crystals 2880x2880.