Pimax PC Client Beta

Yes, with the PiTool I had an offset of +1.4 in the Right eye and 0 in the Left.

With this new client, I have -1.1 in both eyes. So at least now is simetric, which I think is good news, because that means that maybe is a fault of the IPD knob which is not well adjusted.

2 Likes

How do I stop it from asking me for a pin every time I start the app? which I already did, and I donā€™t want to open or give my Paypal info?

3 Likes

I really want to play around with this, but Iā€™m increasingly skeptical of Pimax software releases. So a couple quick questions before I try:

1. Is there a normal mode? Dark Mode looks cool, but it does make text harder to read.
  2. Does this do away with the 1/3 rate smoothing option or allow us to disable it?
1 Like

Haha I really hope it does.

1 Like

I got form +0.6 to -2,4 :laughing:
i did also not unterstand that.

Anyway it is nice to have everything in one place.
@mr_spongeworthy You can install and reinstall pitool without problems.
i did not set it back to green , black to white seems clear, just try it out and is your hmd goes black or flickers you have to setup stuff again like always.

1 Like

W A R N I N G ! ! !

There is potentially a problem with the software.
Not sure how other peopleā€™s systems will react but I had bazillion explorer (processes) open up which made my system basically freeze. Iā€™ll attach a screenshot to show that Iā€™m not exaggerating. You can see the CPU usage is up to 100%.
(Refer to 1st screenshot)

When this occurs, all I could do is hard reset it.
The screenshot is from my third reboot. If you donā€™t act quickly, you canā€™t even open the task manager and windows will just give a ding sound for any input.

Turning off the auto start fix this issue completely. Well, maybe ā€œalmostā€ since it still opens 2 explorers.
(Refer to 2nd screenshot)

It also asked me twice to set a pin even though I did it on installation. After that twice, I couldnā€™t replicate the problem.

I almost forgot to mention, but after installation, the game I tried (Elite Dangerous) had a parallel projection problem (even though the setting was correct) so I rebooted and this issue occurred. And also on the first reboot, for some reason, the program asked me to log in again but couldnā€™t. And as time passed, the PC went to a crawl and needed a hard reset.

The PC is a Ryzen 5800x with 32 gb of ram and a 3080 JFYI.

Just when you think itā€™s safe to go back into the watersā€¦ =(

Edit: Additional info

Uninstalled Pimax PC Client Beta and reinstalled Pitool 280.
Seems Pimax PC Client Beta changed the settings for Steam so Steam doesnā€™t start up on boot. Not sure why they would do that, but since I donā€™t know what else it does, reverted back.
JFYI, Pitool does not show any extra explorers.

The parallel projection settings in PC Client Beta will turn on if you turn on the global settings. Interestingly, if you turn it off after that (I believe provided that you keep the individual gameā€™s settings on) the parallel projection still works.

Last time I had explorer open that many times and continuously it was a sticky keyboard key. Not to say yourā€™s is the same issue but thought worth a mention since it seems unique in terms of whatā€™s being reported so far.

If it was a sticky keyboard, I think it should keep dinging in OS. That didnā€™t happen.
When I pressed a key or clicked my mouse after everything went to a crawl, then it dinged (with considerable lags), and when I stopped, the dinging stopped. So thatā€™s kind of a double check on that matter.

Wonā€™t pretend to know whatā€™s going on though. Not a programmer here. Used to be a hardware developer and had my share of bug checking, but software isnā€™t my expertise for sure.

Itā€™s not, this is a known problem with the autostart. @hammerhead_gal mentioned it I believe (I think in this thread actually) and said it will be fixed in the next update.

Just checked, itā€™s this post here in this thread, a few mentioned the issue already: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-pc-client-beta/39192/37?u=smallbaguette

I ran into it myself too.

4 Likes

With pimax client choose to not start when Windows boots. This issue was recently reported and confirmed.

I always turn that startup option off.

1 Like

I can also confirm that i had to hard reset.
just to mention it.

1 Like

I may be the only one who is not happy with that combination of store and driver feature, just another SteamClone.
At least, you can disable Steam autostart and auto login, run offline, no need for SteamGuard, too.
My first test showed a combined PIMAX driver and store blob.
I donĀ“t like at all. It has to be separated. AND THERE I AM FORCED TO GO ONLINE, just to use my bought (!) hardware, I will never accept to leave control to a cloud service, not being able to run offline. Neither I will allow Steam to do.

1 Like

This client broke something for me, I had the million explorer.exe issue aswell, uninstalled went back to pitool, and it now crashes my AMD drivers everytime I close. Just installed the new .281 beta and its still happening :frowning:
AMD 6900xt
i9 9900k
ROG Maximus Hero XI
Windows 10 190434
latest AMD drivers

Maybe not set a Pin in the first place, though I have no clue what to do to remove it, Auto-Launch on Windows Start-up is buggy out badly on my PC. Really canā€™t help if that even helped.

You already allow this when you choose to still support STEAM, STEAM is mainly an online service storefront and buying & redeeming games is online only, isnā€™t it?

sugesstion :killall pi processes, clean uninstall with reg all pi software and restart your machine, Install the new pitool and it should work again.

1 Like

Did that and uninstalled all AMD drivers, then reinstalled the old pitool 270 software thats still on the main page and it works again.

I disagree. You CAN use STEAM offline, no need for online, only for download and buying. ItĀ“s a launcher then, even not required in most cases. For PIMAX PC Client, I missed the logout button and no-autostart and no auto-logon feature. They all never learn.

1 Like

Are you sure you canā€™t use it offline? Not at my main PC to check right now but Iā€™d be surprised if you needed to be online to use it, bar the initial login I suppose.

If it does need to be online then I agree that an offline mode would be pretty necessary.

Here I report a small issue of the PC Client.
When I used the Pitool, once I launched it, it will recognize my 5K super automatically.
But the PC Client will not see my 5K super after launching. It will only see it after I click on ā€œRestart Serviceā€, then I will heard some chimes, indicating some drivers are installed, only after that the PC Client will see the headset.

I generally donā€™t shutdown the computer. Iā€™ll put it to sleep most of the time. Maybe it has something to do with it?