Pimax Frontier October 25th, 10am PDT

Well this is something to indeed pressure them on. As doing things like this will cast doubt on the advertised specs of the 12k. Is it 200H or 185 to 190? For me even 185 will be plenty compared to 160. :wink: As even 160 if made near completely clear with edge to edge clarity would be phenomenal.

I look forward to seeing @risa2000 's hmdq deep dive for what is being rendered vs advertised specs to see if they align or deviate.

1 Like

They thought the 12 months return policy was before release instead of after…

2 Likes

12 months would technically be right now for christ sake! Lol

2 Likes

Sabastian was actually very good. Sim flight guy was excellent. The guy Anthony was Facebook shill
The woman wasn’t very knowledgeable…just my thoughts

2 Likes

I wish you have watched Helio…so much bad information

2 Likes

This where the general vr public get there updates? I posted many times to come here if you want what’s happening as far as pimax

1 Like

If you can share a link. Bad info on a vr table these days seem more common than should be. :laughing:

2 Likes

VR Youtubers propagating mistaken notions, especially around technology, has been the rule for as long as I can remember… :7

4 Likes

I think this is it

3 Likes

Skip to hour 1:20 at least

1 Like

I’m so tired of supposed vr talking heads who haven’t even tried headset talking like they know it all…

4 Likes

I’m defending pimax here. I know the short comings… but at least spend time to research topics

2 Likes

At 1:31:47.

I understand how the misunderstanding has arisen, but they clearly need to re-read the terms.

The offer is valid for 12 months AFTER release. Anyone who buys a headset before “this shipping date” (can’t be any earlier than release) is eligible.

I suppose for the odd case of someone ordering an 8K-X JUST before release (and assumedly before dispatch - although I’d hope they’d get some warning at that point) they could upgrade their order, rather than mess around with trade-in.

I suppose the only risk is if Pimax releases 12K early (which nobody is currently predicting), people might miss on the “chance” to figure out this trade-in process, and maybe have to wait 3 more months.

That said, if you’re willing to pay more ~500 Euros (for Artisan, cheapest current headset I can find) just to get into first 3 months, without actually wanting the headset, then I assume you’re the type that makes scalpers rich.

2 Likes

I guess that’s my thoughts. If your going to talk about subject at least have some knowledge of what your discussing

1 Like

I have now listened up until just before 1:40, and am cutting there, and going to sleep, but I must say I am somewhat lost on what has you quite so upset, and this is from somebody who has had no lack of disagreeing with things said by Anthony in the past.

Whilst I most certainly would expect general know-how and interest in the field, I do not expect deep journalistic research on the immediate topic at hand from, not the BBC, but from a speculative roundtable show of amateurs, when this topic, that discussions are going to be had about, is something brand new, that is inherently more rumor than it is anything else, to begin with.

There were some misfires, but overall I saw basic healthy consumer savviness from all participants, along with sincere-sounding hope for Pimax to live up to at least a fraction of their promising the world, which was unanimously declared something that would be amazing alone; And I saw the perfectly valid point made, that however excited they may make us, no HMD priced in the thousands of dollars is going bring in the masses, which are vital to establish a software market large enough to sustain a developer’s living wage.

Ok, so Ant didn’t know who would shop in Pimax’s store? -Every Chinese Pimax customer, to begin with - that’s who; There is one or two people in that region, I hear… :7

I Don’t know how the heck the trade-in program is going to work, and I think it is more than sufficiently demonstrated that neither does Pimax themselves – the messaging has certainly not been consistently disseminated across the work force, much less the messaging to customers, which is just as confused as every other Pimax message.

The very comment Kevin shot them, was one that stated things are somewhat up in the air, given difficulties and trade regulation in certain regions having been pointed out to Pimax, since the presentation.

Only the other week, there was an announcement, in unfocussed writing, about what I believe I have concluded to be about Pimax finally beginning to sell boxes with both 8kX headsets, basestations, and Sword controllers in them… I’m still not 100% sure, though.

Noteably, that announcement also still proudly prints the old 200 degree (diagonal) FOV claim, which remains geometrically impossible – at least we’re still waiting for somebody to demonstrate otherwise.

The 12k specs list hfov, and vfov separately, as well as binocular overlap, and resolution in ppd – one would think such specific measurments should be harder to fiddle with, but we’ll see… :7

If nothing else, the program should serve as an Osborne effect preventative measure, so that the company doesn’t cut its own cash flow out from under itself, with such an early announcement. :stuck_out_tongue:

(EDIT: I cut something about Seb and Ant having tendencies to waffle on, when I noticed where my wordcount was going with this post… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

5 Likes

Pimax is in need of formulating a clear plan within the organization. It is their tendency to preemptively make under planned announcements that are not clearly presented to their publicly facing representatives in a timely manner . They have all made statements in the past that they have had to back track on. Regardless their products have materialized after some time and always come close to declared specifications. Promises made have altered in context and delivery but approximately always come through. They have grown and learned many lessons. All this makes these announcements very exciting. We can expect interesting and comparable results with the 12K and the entire lineup of devices they release. I may be interested in a 5k or 8k employing such features. Especially if they develop and incorporate the micro display on top of these lower level devices for a lower price. Congratulations to all of you at Pimax for grabbing the attention of the public eye. You have deserved it and I hope your new products dominate the market and make Pimax as well known as Oculus. Nearly everyone I mention Pimax to has never heard of them and I think some lie if they say they have. I know I can always come here for interesting chatter on all devices VR related. You have built an interesting community and I look forward for interest to peak again over the next year. Keep it up! Look forward to seeing you all around and maybe allow some old trouble makers back around now that Pimax is more on top of the Game! Great work!

4 Likes

There sure were a lot of IMAX branded things at CES a couple years ago. And now both theaters and Blu-Ray seem to be going down.

1 Like

That also my thought. Anthony seems to have mission in every podcast. His giving up privacy becous of using advanced tech is completly wrong…

2 Likes

Reading through the comments, I guess a lot of people are unaware of the circumstances that ended up taking down starvr.

Starvr was a partnership between Starbreeze software and Acer. Starbreeze really had insufficient capital to truly successfully participate in the deal. Acer invested more and took a lead position in 2018. They had a deal to provide VR headsets to IMAX for IMAX VR arcades and experiences.

IMAX opened these VR locations up but there were serious issues. The headset couldn’t run most software in it’s most advanced mode, the custom experiences were lacking for a paid experience and they were not able to produce enough headsets.

As a result IMAX VR had to turn to using mostly regular VR headsets, people were mostly not willing to pay $40/hr to play beat sabre. The venue endeavor did not work and IMAX walked away from the entire thing. This loss of most of the future revenue caused some of the Starbreeze executives to attempt what looked like insider trading (they were actually convicted of this and later released on appeal).

This sequence essentially destroyed starbreeze and acer had to pick up the pieces. It was thought Acer as a hardware manufacturer would pursue it but it seems they had enough (or at least haven’t pursued any active VR position since 2019).

Starbreeze was then reconstituted as a new entity that might be able to release Payday 3 in 2023.

10 Likes

Do you see Valve or any VR company revealing their strategy to the public? That type of plan is generally kept internal. What you see is merely what is released to the public and general speculation about what that might mean. I assure you all public facing businesses including us have detailed plans that extend for years.

6 Likes