Pimax Frontier October 25th, 10am PDT

Haha thats the spirit, my friend @mirage335 :slight_smile: We have some great things coming. And all I can tell you is that there are many more surprises that haven’t been revealed yet. Can’t wait for CES and next year!

10 Likes

I’m apparently German now… :joy:

I do think that Wilken might be German though… :wink:

2 Likes

Hope to see you there. :wink:

1 Like

Thats great, and Im not surprised it was Xiaomi. They do really take care of their customers and I have only good experience with them.

3 Likes

@SweViver
Thought about it :wink: it’s a great offer it truly is

Id like to return my 5K+ my Droolon Pi $149 IIRC (that is sitting in it’s box, since it’s not working well) DMAS $100 (that is lost in the mail), use my 5K+ $100 downgrade and stack my $100 Wireless upgrade.

That will be a $995 deduction in price :smiley:
Can’t blame me for wanting it to be like that though :rofl:

2 Likes

The basic business model doesn’t make sense to me. With the offer of the discount based on the cost of a previous Pimax headset, Pimax are effectively offering a large chunk of 50% off to their existing customers. Now, that has to either kill most of the profit margin to these customers or mean that their margin is too high and won’t be sustainable in a competitive market (i.e. if they can make these for £500, and hence still make a decent margin after the discount, then so will other companies (clearly not the exact same headset but comparitively powerful) and those other companies will be selling them for £800 and not £2000). Now, given a large part of their sales will be to existing Pimax owners (given how expensive it is to new customers) if they are not going to make much money from these sales after the discount where are they going to make money from - I doubt from new customers given the price?

For any other company other than Pimax I would have assumed that they would have thought all this through, studied the numbers and be confident that there was a clear road to profit. But given it’s Pimax we are talking about I wouldn’t be surprised if they hadn’t and are making up the marketing and pricing strategy on the fly!!

1 Like

Pimax still seems like a growing company to me. No doubt, investors are valuing revenue and customer numbers, rather than profitability. So I would guess Pimax is just trying to get customers to buy in, sooner, while still making enough money not to need more investment sooner than possible.

Now I might grant that logic might not be obvious to end users, but most such accusations of business model unsustainability made on these forums are not only wrong, but have been disproven by eventual production of hardware by Pimax, over and over again.

Stop looking at the past of innards of business models. Start looking at a future in which VR headsets can finally kick away our 65inch screens and the desks that support them.

all virtual items you buy later in the metaverse cost real money. the platform and its size make the piece of cake.

@SweViver

I hope you guys will come up with a logical trade in return program then. Can’t say I’m thrilled about returning stuff overseas as in some countries the cost is high and the time taken is long with risk of losing the parcel.

Also I hope the team would be including dmas included as the purchased unit because, what the hell are we suppose to do with a dmas when we return the 8kx or any other headset (and it whines, pimax might as well take it back and start over )

Hope the team come up with something that makes sense and reward long term owners.

2 Likes

Response to Mirrage335

Exactly, they need customer numbers but that means NEW customers, lots of them, and the proven way to get lots of new customers is to price your product well (unless you are Apple of course). Pimax is going nowhere if it focuses on selling profitless products to their existing customer base and at the same time pricing new customers out!

I think the deal applies to people who buy the 8kX now, for a while longer. So, more 8kX customers, and proven loyalty of existing customers.

Yup, that could be seen as a smart move but, as I mentioned in a previous post, I think that’s a bit of dodgy selling given new customers may not be quite up on how likely/unlikely this new headset will materialise in a reasonable timescale!

Loves beer, loves sausages - same difference. ;9

Ach sooo… Hmm… So we had one Chr. Wilken, and an unknown brother, separated at birth, presumably, of Christopher Walken’s, both in the same video… ;9

2 Likes

No need to be confused, this is still early days and things can change back and forth and do a few 720degree turns

Just sit back and relax!

4 Likes

Did anyone ever mention a time frame for taking orders, other than Q4, 2022? Usually businesses like to get ‘pre-order’ money but I haven’t seen any mention of it.

Edit: found this post by PimaxUSA:

Cool thing is you won’t have to invest. We don’t have any preorder campaign, prepayment, deposits etc. for this. We don’t ask for money at all. You will get to read reviews, see devices at CES and then if all is well potentially pick one up some day.

1 Like

PimaxUSA’s said they would prefer not to take money until something like 72 hours before they ship. That’s not confirmation, mind you, but their thoughts. Considering their role in the company that’s something good to go off of then though.

4 Likes

we come in peace… Hallo Nachbar :smiley:

2 Likes

Is there Index controller support and pricing for just the headset?

Well color me Black, Red and Yellow then too :smiley:
Ahlefeld is a German name too, so hallo mein freund :wink:

2 Likes

Just yesterday I flew over your kingdom for a few hours from home (Rostock). (Thanks FS) Looks like here in Mecklenburg. :joy:

2 Likes