Pimax Frontier October 25th, 10am PDT

sigh… tosses a pg-tip into a cup Damned monkey.

Sooo, with one specific one of our dan…germans in place, I wonder just what sort of feature support we may see from developers, what with Pimax talking to them, and possibly more importantly: Whether budding standards (I’m looking at you, OpenXR) have the required formats and frameworks defined/promoted (preferably core functionality, rather than relegated to extensions), to facilitate them, without need to “hard code” anything proprietary?

As some of the keener followers of the forums may have deducted by now, I am for starters referring to colour profiling; We are anticipating a device that is ostensibly the thickness of just one or two razor blades, stacked, from filling bt.2020 colour gamut, and able to reproduce low light conditions without banding (I haven’t really looked at specs, so don’t know how high its dynamic range goes, but please consider that part and parcel of this rambling).

Will developers balance their games for this gamut and value resolution, making full use of it, from art -direction and -assets, though rendering pipeline, to output; Will VR runtimes preserve this more detailed information all the way to the viewing device, and possibly take care of any required tonemapping for any connected device; And will the new device actually make use of it, or just consider everything srgb anyway? :stuck_out_tongue:

Similar questions arise for all kind of other things; Am I hearing solutions for foveated -rendering and -image transport may already be part of Tobii’s software suite?

2 Likes

HDR rendering in games (128bit color, separate red/green, bloom, etc) has been around long before so-called ‘HDR displays’. HDR displays just separate red/green instead of red-orange/green-orange. AFAIK, film production, TV broadcast studios, etc, have used very expensive ‘professional’ HDR displays of sorts since ~1990, if not decades prior to that.

Well, yes, but to this day, most video games will, as far as I know, still individually tonemap their internal HDR rendering to srgb, un-optionally, in accordance with their own sets of rules, including some sort of iris “simulation”. :7

3 Likes

Not so many that use CryEngine, Unreal, Unity, derivatives thereof, etc, - and are actively maintained - such more modern software has long been the future.

Ok. We’ll see… What about OpenXR and OpenVR? I am pretty sure Oculus wrote something at some time, about supporting HDR formats in their runtime… Come to think of it, as I recall, it was Oculus’s proposal for the base of OpenXR, which was chosen by the relevant Kronos workgroup…

EDIT: …aaand it appears the whole foveation part of my line of inquiry is simultaneously being discussed in another thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

They still have said that full price will be deducted…no statement has been made saying otherwise…the only thing that is still being decided is how the details of the program will work. If you have to return your headset in order to get the full price deduction then no big deal. I personally think it would make more of a logistical nightmare for them to do it that way, but it is still a very generous thing for them to do either way.

2 Likes

Agree as I already said. But still it’s a communication mistake, “forget” to mention the trade-in, that’s not a small detail, why not telling about it directly…

At least on the e-shop now it’s clear.

But now we just need to wait until more details are communicated

I wrote this in June 2019 here on the forums LMAO!

"What they need is a hybrid design where you have an aspherical lens in the center, and then fresnel in the outer portion.

I don’t think it’s physically possible, but what I have heard is that the clarity on the current design is best at normal FOV, and that’s because with fresnel lenses (all optics really) it gets harder to have clarity the higher FOV goes."

5 Likes

Awesome! Maybe Pimax is listening after all? :wink:

1 Like

Classic Pimax, they really should think about what they say when the whole world is watching.

Remember what I was saying about Pimax being their own worst enemy?

Now thrill seeker is repeating the Loyalty Announcement on his channel , just like every other major outlet. And they most likely are forum dwellers like us to get the news that its now a return program.

Screenshot_20211026-225156_YouTube

This was Pimaxes most awesome event ever, even the haters like UploadVR tuned in. Pimax has got more eyes on them than ever.

EDIT: Weird the pimax store is making the same claim and making no mention of returns. So confusing.

EDIT 2: I just noticed that their entire website also says it’s a return

what’s really going on here ?

Yeah, something about that term bothers me too. I’m not sure why exactly. Possibly because someone else is labeling me or maybe because it implies fanboi status.

4 Likes

If everyone keeps repeating it’s a loyalty program and putting that expectation for months till they decide, maybe Pimax will cave on that rather than deal with the bad PR :rofl:

I edited my post above. seems like Pimax is slowly erasing history. It now says trade-in instead of loyalty.

That graphic leaked on discord hours before the event and said trade-in then too.

But yes - the mechanics of this program are not determined. Since there is no preordering, deposits etc. pages to make an advance purchase. We didn’t feel like it was particularly important right now to create the full mechanics. Big item will remain the same and that is you can subtract the full price you paid if you are any pimax owner.

6 Likes

I don’t doubt it. And don’t get me wrong either way its a great deal and way to incentivize people not to wait until the 12K to buy pimax headsets.

But I guess who ever made that website graphic and yourself were the only one who knew that.detail.

Shame it didn’t make it into the Keynote that everyone was watching and saw this

As long as you update it everywhere on the site and correct people before it gets out of hand it wont look too bad.

2 Likes

It was more than that sort of thing, it was we wanted to address buyers remorse if you bought a headset and some new models appeared etc.

We felt it was a neat way to reward anyone who owns a Pimax.

16 Likes

The money off a 12K policy for pimax owners has stopped me considering returning my 8KX to Amazon, I bought it Oct 3rd and had 30 days for a no quibble return. Just after I bought it Pimax announced the Frontier event and I immediately thought oh no I’ve got an outdated hmd after only a few weeks of ownership.

I’m not 100% certain I would’ve returned it even without the money off policy. Tbh I probably wouldn’t have as I really like my 8KX and the 12K is 1 year away. But the money off policy is a nice surprise and makes it certain I will be buying the 12K when it’s available.

10 Likes

I’d say both. Each is enough to put the cringe in the labelled, but together… :7

…in addition, maybe it could also make us close to Klaxian Thargoids, or Galaxians… :wink:

6 Likes

So if I’m to take @PimaxUSA 's word, the original price i paid for my 5k+ directly to Pimax (just the HMD) will be deducted from the price of the 12k when it’s available for purchase. I think that’s a relatively simple question that can be answered without going into the mechanics of the swap too much.

Do you agree with the above Kevin?

2 Likes

yes, that is exactly correct.

1 Like