Pimax Crystal Status Updates-Official

They still have more updates regarding their GPU (AMD) testing that they’re performing. @PimaxUSA

1 Like

right? :point_up:

12K at CES even a half working prototype would be something.

why even bother announcing it before the Crystal, if at all?

only thing I can think of is it they had announced the Crystal and not the 12k people might have feared they were abandoning wide fov.

3 Likes

lol, catching up on this thread you really want to make sure we know that the Crystal was “released” a couple of months ago with each post :rofl:

I too have wondered ever since the 12K announcement what the word “release” actually means to Pimax.

If they tell me the Crystal is releasing in month I expect to see devices for sale.

The trade in program states that they won’t take money until the product is released.

what that really means is when we announce the release of the product we will take your money and your old hmd. And then a year later you will get the 12k when we hobble over the finish line.

I expect alot of angry people when they are without an hmd while they wait for their “released 12k” , me included.

4 Likes

Yup, it makes me wonder if this thread should only be visible to backers

I think it probably can be a little frustrating for anyone not here regularly since the beginning to understand how much the backers have influenced Pimax’s development and how passionate they can sometimes be.
It can get a little repetitive though. Then so too can Pimax’s release dates :grinning:

5 Likes

i think that the 12K was announced when it was, was to sell as many Vision series hmd’s as possible for the trade in. i doubt pimax expected to release the 12K in Q4 2022 but said this anyway to make it look more enticing. the trade in offer has sold many more hmd’s i expect. it was a clever, if slightly sneaky, move imo.

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to tomorrow. We get the TRUTH on Crystals state. I can green all those Red and Amber features and Crystal will be a huge Pimax success. The 12k will be seen for the first time because we’ve been told several times how close Reality headsets are and then people will have the dilemma over Crystal or wait for the 12k with another unspecified release date sometime in 2023.

3 Likes

Totally agree on Crystal concerning.

Tomorrow we’ll get all the answers and release countdown will began… period.

Anything less than this is incocebible… period again

1 Like

The 12K was announced at time when it was expected that Facebook and Valve would be making big announcements about their big new headsets at CES 2022. Pimax announced the 12K ahead of CES to ride the growing anticipation and hype and to stay relevant when the offerings from these other larger companies might have otherwise eclipsed their current flagship 8KX.

But then CES 2022 turned out to be a nothing burger for VR. The biggest thing that happened in VR land was Facebook changing its name to Meta.

I believe this is also why Pimax was gearing up to show the 12K at CES. But those plans got legitimately cancelled by covid. Pimax at the time initially said they were going to show the 12K soon after CES, but when the expected big announcements from Valve and now Meta didn’t come, it took the wind out of the sails for showing the 12K early to compete.

Clever due to sneakyness makes them sound dishonest.

Accepting full rebate on 2+ year headsets sold towards a new model is unprecedented.

if by sneaky you mean taking the loss in an effort to gain market share then it’s brilliant.

for anyone claiming Pimax is running out of money, does a company running out of money do a deal like this?

edit: actually maybe they do :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting story, …

Is any of it true?

1 Like

Is it taking market share though. When the Market is in the millions and the Kickstarter was only 6000. Even if every Kickstarter traded in it wouldn’t even register on the list of new VR startups.

Pimax take a load of headsets out of circulation and replace them with headsets they would of sold anyway. I just don’t see the point personally.

My take on this: Pimax had designed a truely awesome 12K device, it had everything we wanted and they were ready to show it at CES2022. Then the prototype melted down because of a bad connector and it was gone, beyond repair. A virus took over the computer that had all the design plans and it ate them. Then the engineer who had it all in his head died of covid. So then they had nothing to show at CES 2022 and as they knew nobody would believe the above, they just told us that the parts were sent out to different locations. So now they had to develop everything from scratch again. That’s why it’s taking so long.

Hey, this is fun! We should make a competition who can write the most interesting story about what happened with the 12K

6 Likes

At least more than from Apple. They’ve only shown some patents and a sick price in the last four years. :joy:

1 Like

One day there was a Rainbow and beneath the rainbow there was a unicorn. Upon the unicorn rode a fairy. The fairy was holding a magic lantern. Inside the lantern was a genie. The genie was wearing a 12k. Inside the 12k was a rainbow and beneath the rainbow there was a unicorn…,.

I like the effort but maybe there should be a separate thread for djonko/atmos pimax fiction, this is after all the pimax crystal status updates thread :wink:
I might have something to offer in it

EDIT: If it existed Oof

4 Likes

It’s been over a month.

Are there any details on the ‘big’ and ‘small’ FOV in this image?

2 Likes

LOL, I’ve commented on this forum several times that they should not translate it to ‘open/close’ but to on/off. This is something @PimaxUSA should communicate to the team. It’s just confusing like this.

And I indeed wonder what the difference between ‘big’ and ‘small’ for the 42 PPD mode is.

They had actually finally fixed that with foveated rendering, unfortunate to see it back again.

1 Like