Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I love what you have been doing the last couple of months @Atmos, I really do!

Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Are we expecting Crystal to have a higher FOV than Aero/VR-/XR-3?

1 Like

I understood it’s 140 degrees. Theoretically it should thus have a a lower PPD than the Aero, since they have about the same resolution, but so far I’ve only read reports from people who said they saw no difference in PPD.

Then again, we still need to get that 140 degrees confirmed, Pimax has been sharing incorrect, inflated IPD data for all of their previous headsets so who knows … If there’s no substantial difference with the Varjo then I’ll pass of course.

2 Likes

Yeee haaaa!
Oh man… mi beloved and prerordered Crystal is moving on!
Do you think rest of preorderers will get our crystal on January?

I’m pretty much in the same boat but also would like to stopy paying €800p.a. for that Varjo license so Crystal doies look interesting.

Alas, I’m worried the 140 degrees are, yet again, diagonal and will translate into 110-115ish horizontal.

1 Like

That 140 is diagonal. The horizontal claim is 125.

Considering a little marketing fluff, I expect real numbers to end up around 110-120 degrees. Which is still bigger than the Aero. This tracks with CES impressions, as most called it “Index like” but slightly bigger or comparable to Pimax small FoV. The Aero got an update a while back for about 110 horizontal, I believe? And the Index also has 108. So gains may be either very small to actually a decent bump.

VERTICAL FoV though, is apparently lightyears beyond the Aero. No exact numbers have heen given, but many people said the vFoV is huge, like noticeably huge. Some saying it’s the biggest they’ve seen. The Index has about 109 vFoV, which is actually ahead of almost everyone. So I’m expecting like 110-115 there. Which is a truly gigantic leap from the Varjo, since that’s only 80-85 vFoV, I think?

I’ll be sure to run mine through TestHMD and Risa2000’s tool when I get mine.

6 Likes

I am gonne beta test the crystal and will let you know how the field off view feels :wink:

6 Likes

Nice! Really looking forward to your opinion. Although when it’s 110-120 I’ll probably pass, I don’t want to go back to small FoV.

2 Likes

Pimax tells me there’s NDA’s on testers so you will be silenced.

2 Likes

Okay then i must respect that…

2 Likes

@atmos Nice work!

2 Likes

Personally, now Crystals been shown at CES and about to ship so I don’t know why the secrecy. It’s just a case of software updates enabling hardware features we all know about already. Anyone with a Quest or Pico already has these features.

Just tell it as it is imo warts and all.

2 Likes

The vertical FOV will be substantially better than the Aero, AND than all the current Pimax headsets. For flight simmers, that vertical FOV is pretty nice.
For ‘action’ VR players, it has to provide more immersion.

1 Like

Ohhhh, that’ s a pity.
But i expect they allow you to drop some interesting info time to time

1 Like

For simracing is not especially important…

From my understanding the 42ppd lense FoV is around Varjo. The 35ppd the 140 I believe is diagonal? So should be similar to Artisan/Index on the HFoV.

Email exchange with a guy in marketing, that was the go to for things like review samples and copies, has told me the exact opposite.

1 Like

I would imagine if there is an NDA it will just be on stuff unreleased. So not the crystal itself but perhaps software, faceplates etc.

1 Like

That’s Josh right?

Hopefully there’s no NDAs, let the info flow I say.

The Crystal looks like a great product with some unfinished components. I too say let the hype train loose!