Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Email exchange with a guy in marketing, that was the go to for things like review samples and copies, has told me the exact opposite.

1 Like

I would imagine if there is an NDA it will just be on stuff unreleased. So not the crystal itself but perhaps software, faceplates etc.

1 Like

That’s Josh right?

Hopefully there’s no NDAs, let the info flow I say.

The Crystal looks like a great product with some unfinished components. I too say let the hype train loose!

No, another employee, not the US/EU staff. Somebody from their marketing team based on Shanghai, it was who I was directed to to inquire about that stuff.

I agree that it’d be nice to not have restrictive NDAs though. I understand if perhaps there might be an element or two Pimax is refining and would like to run by the beta testers before it gets talked about and if there’s an NDA there, but in general I think it’d be good for us to be able to talk about having the Crystal and some experiences with it. CES was great news, but the community is dyiiiiiing for some impressions from people who get some extended hands on time and not just 1-2 hour max, but often less, demos.

Plus, there’s a couple of things which haven’t really been talked about I’m sure people would love to hear! Like, I don’t think there has been much of any talk about the audio of the Crystal, I know that we haven’t heard a single sample from the Crystal’s microphone yet! Just as one example, I’d like to take a sample of that and some benchmarks. Especially if most people are gonna be waiting another 1-2 months to get their’s. That’s a damn long wait while you know it’s out in the wild.

4 Likes

Agree. Final cable is other thing to clarify completely

3 Likes

I did recommend to Pimax they send full complete kits as would be received by consumers which would be a good test of Pimaxes consumer readiness. Rather than send CES models that could vary or be mixed with different iterations spread over the numerous roadshows.

Wether they take my suggestion onboard who knows.

NDA’s are standard with any beta test except open ones-which are done seldom for particular products, and more often for system tests like the steam or FS2021 ongoing testing.
The test period won’t be a long one, and Pimax may share information as it progresses.
I would not, were I Pimax’s CEO, care to have every element of a beta test scrutinized out of context in emotionally charged forums such as this one, or God forbid, the YouTube “Wilderness of Hate.”

2 Likes

That’s an interesting thought @Finn, as the so-called ‘launch’ event and subsequent roadshows only helped fuel severe criticism based on the state of the headset during that time.
Something as well I would have thought the CEO wouldn’t want to introduce such targeting on the product when it was in such an unfinished state.

Do you mean for the beta testers? The beta testers are normal customers paying full price so there’s no doubt that we’ll be getting the full kit.

I think for the full gamut of testing, the testers should receive other items as well for testing.
i.e. LH Plate, MR Plate. There’s a few things not included in the purchase kit that are, I guess, are separate purchases. That functionality needs to be tested as well.

@Butters007 Exactly right! Moreover, even if Pimax had categorized the HMD as a work in progress there are still many who would stone the hate furnace anyway. Still, I do thin it’s ok to do public trials of prototypes IF that’s how the demo and discussion is framed.
Pimax isn’t wrong to seek input during development- but figuring out the best way to do that can be tricky.
Given all the crap that’s been flung at the Crystal and Pimax thus far, I think a closed beta is the smart way to go.

1 Like

finally somene gonna measure the actual fov,hopefully beta testers do it and also make some vids tho not sure if any is a youtuber apart from JameJame

@Omniwhatever has a good VR channel.

2 Likes

It is and remains an odd situation where paying customers who receive their product are asked to sign an NDA for what Pimax claims is a final production version they are starting to deliver at the same time as the beta testers receive theirs. So if that is correct, we should see a number of other customers receive their headsets in parallel who did not sign up to the beta test and would be free to share their impressions.

Let‘s see what happens.

3 Likes

Just going off the 8kX I doubt the Crystal will ever be out of beta. Crystal has 10 times as many features, eye tracking, wireless, Wigig, inside out tracking, face plates, etc.

@finn It’s funny you criticise the YouTube wilderness of hate when Pimax has chosen several YTers to be Crystal testers.

Now we know what we all dreaded, Pimax is shipping an unfinished product with missing features and software. A product that may be unfit to review for months.

1 Like

I dunno @Atmos … If it’s out for sale and they’re taking full money for the product, then they’re fair game.
We’ll be sure to see some reviews out there on the YouTube landscape within several weeks.
We hope those review are from completely impartial users who will praise where praise is due, and will criticize there it is due as well.
Hard to find BALANCED reviewers who aren’t afraid to go both ways in fairness.

I kinda worry if some of the reviewers chosen on this forum can actually be non-biased enough to present quality feedback and testing without just passing off things as minor. We’ll see I guess.

2 Likes

yes a few of the features (afaik) have not yet been demonstrated (standalone, wireless, eyetracking) but the basics have been like the optics, inside out tracking and controllers. on the feedback so far, it is ready to be used as a wired pcvr hmd imo.

1 Like

Thw question now is: where are the rest of 185 unit of first bach?
Apart from beta tester, anyone with a mail from Pimax for order properly?

1 Like

&atmos. I’m not sure exactly what Pimax is doing. Nor are you.
I know they’re working on refining the Crystal. I u derstNd they are ramping up production. Whether the product is complete in terms of hardware I do not know. I’m pretty sure the firmware will be imperfect and expect it to remain in development throughout the lifespan of the Crystal.
I think you may be drawing conclusions ahead of the arrival of all the evidence.

1 Like