Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Nope Crystal is now getting the 8KX cable.

I’m sure if Wifi was working Sweviver would of shown it regardless. But who knows the truth?

1 Like

Where did you hear that? About a week before the roadshows started, Sweviver said the 8KX cable worked with the crystal, and this appears to be true to an extent but during the roadshows they said they didn’t deliver enough power (so headsets, even when tethered, would drain and shutdown). So a new cable is needed.

I got it direct from Pimax. It’s going to come with its own power adapter and bypass the USB for power.

Wait… they STILL don’t have eye tracking? DFR?

Nothing I watched or read mentioned eye tracking or DFR, no.

Interesting. I’m more worried about the bandwith over a single DP. It seemed to be working for the Crystal anyhow.
But the 12k? I wonder.

Eye tracking is largely the province of another manufacturer isn’t it? It’s not designed for built inhouse at Pimax . (Tobii?)
The last word I recall is (from roadshow reports) that tobii was still working on it.
I expect they’ll get it right, but I’m not doing an predictions on timeline! Later and working properly is better than now and flawed.

1 Like

Yeah Tobii.

So… Not the 8kx cable then…

Kevin has said it’s almost 5 hours and this was backed up by a CES attendee, “Scott Bell”, on discord.

Thrillseeker tweeted the “the electronic IPD adjustment was nice”.

Did Scott Bell play for 5 hours at CES?

1 Like

There’s manual IPD and auto IPD. Auto IPD and DFR needs eye tracking and no one has said it was turned on and working.

I’m not quite sure why Pimax don’t confirm all this as it was on show, rather than leave us guessing.

4 Likes

I don’t know dude, he just commented on Pimax discord about it. Maybe he was around the Pimax booth for that amount of time and witnessed the controllers being used and seen how long they lasted? Both he and Kevin have said the same. Seems plausible to me tbh.

edit : i’m gonna message him now on discord and ask him how he knows it was 4 hours 44 minutes.

Yeh the statement by Thrill, considering no-one else said similar, I wouldn’t take as auto-ipd working. I was just pointing out what he tweeted.

Surely it’s more likely that he is just saying what he was told then?

2 Likes

well if that’s the case then it isn’t corroborated at all and caution about using those claims is justified. i’ve just messaged Scott on discord.

Edit: it is what Kevin told him :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

@PimaxUSA

For me. I’d like to see a charging base station dock that will charge the extra HMD battery.
At the same time, I’d like to see removable swap-out batteries for the controllers to also have those plug in to the dock.
Which means you don’t ever need to plug in the controllers for long play sessions. Just swap in the charged batteries, just like the Hot-Swap HMD battery.

Kinda makes sense to me, especially in support of the stand-alone mode.

*This should probably be included in the package purchase.

If the controller batteries last 3-4 hours with heavy use, I doubt I need more than that, but for those that play longer, I like this idea. Would the headset ‘lose’ the controllers as you hot swap the batteries? I’m not sure how all these things work. You can hotswap the headset battery because I believe there is an internal battery that ensures continuity during the swap. Is that correct? If so, how do you do that with the hand controllers? A second low capacity battery in each controller? I’m in over my head here.

That already comes with the crystal. There were multiple pictures of it from the roadshow. Ah, unless you mean for the headset and the battery at the same time? Then yeah, that would be neat. Probably not in the box sort of product though.

I also would like a good zip up case, like the official Quest one.

The HMD itself has a hot-swappable system.

Currently the batteries in the controllers are not easily removeable. You’d have to do a focused tear-down AFAIK. So they’re not planning of having swappable batteries on the controllers.

1 Like

Crystal Production.

8 Likes