Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Good video but was hoping she had one herself, surprised that she hasn’t yet but a much smaller youtuber has (his review is coming next week).

3 Likes

Well, I’m excited about the Crystal, but I’m an FOV-snob. I really don’t want to return it given that there will be improvements, but the 15-day return policy puts me in a spot where I will probably return it out of fear. I mean pixels can die on day 16.

3 Likes

I don’t think Pimax has had a dead pixel problem like Varjo had (things may have improved since then, certainly in the Varjo discord there’s less talk of it). I’m hesitant about my Crystal order atm because support said they won’t replace a Crystal with dead pixels without photos+video as proof. I tried obtaining such proof with my Aero and couldn’t manage it - Varjo replaced my Aero anyway (and Meta have done the same with a Quest 2).

Is that Pimax’s policy, a 15 day return window? Edit: just checked and yes that is the policy, but they deduct shipping cost and face foam cost, about $100. Plus it says the Crystal must be “unused” but i’ve seen that elsewhere, Varjo say the same, but people were returning them having tried them. I guess they must be in pristine condition i.e. no scratches etc.

About getting a dead pixel after after the 15 days, isn’t that pretty rare? I’ve never experienced that personally, have read about it here and there, but it seems dead pixels being present are more common when the headsets are new.

1 Like

Oh, it’s not that I expect different FOV between native and PP - it should be about the same, but about knowing what the native (per-eye) frustum looks like, which also gives how the left and right native frustums overlap when in the sweet spot, and how the HMD should be worn to attain the sweet spot.

For the Crystal, with its round lenses, I do kind of expect the native frustum to be fully symmetrical (although that is not a given), which incidently means you could probably deduce the canting from the PP FOV… actually, hang on, I might as well scroll back and check… Yep: 51.65 lateral and 41.65 medial; That would more than likely mean 5° canting, IF nothing else restricts FOV (for example physical space for the display panels, where they bump up against one another, or a full-height cut edge in the lens, to make room for the user’s nose) – same as Valve Index, and half that of the 8k/5k series, meaning something like 10-to-11-ish percent more pixels on the X axis, than native, for equal image quality…

1 Like

I would just like to point out to Pimax something about the cable.

We now know the 3 in One cable can’t be used with the Crystal due to it power deficiency. So they’re going back to the 2 in One cable with an external power adapter.

But on the website it still states 3 in one as included.

3 in One cable

Which is this one

And it’s only 4.5 meters not 5, unless they’ve made a longer one.

Probably not a big deal but Pimax needs to clarify.

@hammerhead_gal @PimaxQuorra

4 Likes

Keep in mind the store page is likely behind on updating vs the updates being released. Different departments.

1 Like

I think Pimax has the short return window to try to discourage returns, but I’m convinced that it probably increases the number of returns instead. Especially with the way Pimax VR headsets tend to be a bumpy ride at first until you get them all sorted out. The amount of time it takes to do that is often longer than their return window.

1 Like

Sorry I was just trying to express my fears, not that such a thing is likely.

2 Likes

I really can’t agree more. That’s exactly how I feel.

Hmm. My understanding based on what SweViver said during the MTTV livestream is that reviewers were in line behind the beta testers and would likely not get their Crystals until later… I’d be surprised if any YouTuber gets one next week. If they do, I sure hope it’s got all issues sorted.
Otherwise we’ll be off on the merry-go-round again.

1 Like

Well, I mean, we’ve already seen that youtuber literally show it off on camera in his possession in a livestream podcast. So, that’s not quite the case.

Which YouTuber is that? SweViver doesn’t count does he?

Right here.

1 Like

It is generous- and he made it clear it’s a pre-production model. I just never think it’s wise to have such a model reviewed.
I guess we’ll see. Pimax obviously trusts him to be fair.
They should be shipping the latest beta models out to us this week. Maybe we’ll get to dig into them by February’s end.
Cheers

2 Likes

There are youtubers that have already gotten theirs. I have been pestering one in particular to get the FOV numbers lol.

2 Likes

I hope somebody’ll give us the numbers soon than later.

Be nice to get SOMETHING more to discuss concerning #FoVgate and either debunk(Somehow, looking pretty impossible there) or give further confirmation to it.

2 Likes

Brad Lynch has tweeted this about Tatiana‘s video:

https://twitter.com/sadlyitsbradley/status/1619370322452697088?s=61&t=zraM5suS1OdhebD9p68LiA

He expresses the same sentiment which has had me wondering if I will be okay to deal with yet another big box on my face when we are seeing a completely different form factor emerging. For the FoV of a 12K it may be a different story, but for a more ordinary FoV?

2 Likes

I see Tetiana’s point here.
There might be small form factor right now in the Pico 4, Quest Pro, and Vive XR Elite but the specs such as PPD and FOV don’t interest me. Given a choice of form factor or visual quality give me visual quality everytime. I don’t care what a vr headset looks like on my head ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Yeah, it’s all still a trade off right now. We are still a bit away from something that checks all the boxes. That said, if you put good quality microOLED displays into the vive XR elite (even just charge like 500 more for it) then you’d be pretty close already. Like that form factor with oled blacks and 2.5k per eye (I think 4k panels are coming also, probably first in the Apple HMD) would be getting pretty close to perfect. Then it’s just onto improving FOV after that.

Although we at times may tend to phrase it that way, the issue isn‘t the outer appearance but the bulky feel to it - and of course the weight distribution. The further out substantial weight is placed, the more momentum it causes.

5 Likes