Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I think the idea was to watch movies with those lenses. For that such FoV is actually perfect. Much bigger than that and you get the effect of sitting in the cinema too close to the screen.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, I can see the benefit there and for monitor replacement. I just know for sure that I did not see an FOV that low, there would be no mistaking it.

1 Like

I’ll ask next time I see them. I, and several others, have been asking for quite a bit due to how information starved we’ve been about the Crystal, so trying not to overwhelm them with constant requests that’re time consuming. I only know they’ve shown the resolution with PP on/off and not the FoV numbers.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’ll effect too much, since the Index only trades 1 vertical for 1 horizontal with PP on and most Pimax HMDs don’t change much to speak of on the FoV. Though, checking over things on Risa, I see that the 8k+ has a pretty staggering 8 degree change on vertical FOV between PP being on and off in some modes. So, it may not be impossible there’s some extreme change.

1 Like

Apologies @Atmos think have cleansed the unnecessary drama from your topic. I have set the topic to slow mode until 8:00am Friday to help ensure your topic is not contaminated further.

I have moved the posts to there own topic.

6 Likes

I’m undecided about going ahead with my Crystal purchase atm. This fov discrepancy hasn’t helped but it’s mainly because Pimax support have told me that if i have dead pixel(s) they won’t swap the hmd without photos and videos of it. I cannot do this (photos/videos).

My mobile phone is old and the camera is poor quality, i had a Varjo Aero with a dead pixel and couldn’t take pictures of it, tried for ages. I’m not buying a new phone just to take a photo. Varjo replaced my Aero without photos/video. I don’t see the problem of them (Pimax) just checking themselves for dead pixels once they get the hmd back, wouldn’t they do this anyway?

Almost certainly I won’t be buying from Pimax. Maybe I will once Crystals are sold from Amazon for the excellent return policy.

6 Likes

While I generally get your point, wouldn‘t that become less of an issue with a super high resolution HMD like the Aero or Crystal? I was pretty annoyed when I got me a nice 43“, 4K monitor and 2 months later I noticed that thrips had crept in and now I have some 6 or 7 of them stuck in between the screen cover and displays. And they are of course not just covering one single pixel. So that‘s annoying but I manage to ignore it normal use.

So with a single dead pixel I would probably be relaxed, only if it more than say 3-4 or they cluster that I would complain.

1 Like

Crystal discussion starts at 1:20:00

I haven’t listened yet so can’t give a synopsis. Interesting that both members of that YouTube channel received one, that’s pretty generous of Pimax.

Edit: correction, the other person was showing the 8kx. So just 1 crystal (still generous haha)

1 Like

Unfortunately even 1 dead pixel was pretty easily noticed in the Aero, I imagine it’d be the same with the Crystal.

1 Like

Another sentiment echoing that the FoV felt rather wide, at least for what it was, and this is somebody who’s used the 8k X before as well. And, in particular, yet more glowing praise for the vertical FoV feeling just gigantic.

Really would like to see what their numbers end up. Especially because this one is being shipped directly from CES and so it has to have the correct lenses.

If their measured numbers end up being similarly small, this is gonna be one hell of a selling point for the placebo of aspheric lenses at least, that’s for sure.

Yeah, I guess an 8K X with aspheric lenses would feel like 360 vision haha.

I am wondering what other youtubers will be dropping reviews soon. So far I know of 2 that have at least got tracking numbers, they are in Europe. I think this will be the make or break moment for many in terms of deciding to bite the bullet. Pimax is taking a risk with having an unfinished product (at least in terms of feature set) reach reviewer’s hands as the initial reviews are the ones that stick and keep appearing for years when you search for that product. So hopefully it can be good enough with what’s there to wow people and win them over. I think standalone not being present will be relatively fine, ET being missing is a big one though but if the experience as a more standard PCVR headset holds up then it can only get better from there.

I suppose those with pre-orders, even us testers, might get to see a review or two before finally committing to the purchase, so that will be nice.

1 Like

This is the approach Pimax has chosen repeatedly and I guess they are okay with it, negative review fallout and all. I just hope it is a conscious decision and they are not completely surprised time and again that users give negative reviews if some of the features you advertised don’t work at all or well.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe they just don’t see an issue as they have been successful to date. I suppose if they were to wait for everything to be ready it would be possibly next year before anything released and that would probably be financially unfeasible.

1 Like

I think part of it is they want to stay relevant and give the impression that any day now (soon™) they’ll have a ready product. Let’s keep those potential buyers pulling the carriage by holding a carrot above their heads.

If they were to say nothing since Nov 2, 2022 and just do the CES2023 even, it may have been better.
Given the state of the product at a lot of the roadshows, the lens mix-ups (which still seem to be plaguing them til this day), the controller issues, the missing features… Well. I really don’t think it did them a lot of favors except to generate hype and try to spin it as positive as they could.

But reality is different.
There needs to be independent reviews of the CURRENT state of the product and what they have left to do to meet their advertised specs, as well as complete/test the remaining missing features.

:-1: *I’m thumbing down my own post just so I can be the first one to do it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Spot on, I’m sure this is exactly their reasoning. They must be thinking that any sale that goes to Varjo is a lost sale to them, so that’s why they’re continually holding those carrots in front of people interest in the Pimax products. Very well said

2 Likes

It seems to me like it’s an engineer’s approach. It’s not good to send it to YouTube influencers in an unfinished .It’s not good to send it to YouTube influencers in a unfinished state state, but if they send it to the right people who can actually help them make the product better in the long run, that’s not a bad thing in and of itself

3 Likes

Not to derail topic here.

Please review this post here

1 Like

Agree mostly. Perhaps we feel the same way.
Though, for me, I feel they as a company have a certain level of responsibility to perform their own internal testing of the features and their intended functionality.
Get those features working and proven to a high degree. THEN, go out to beta testers externally under NDA to get more objective eyes on the product to help work out the small wrinkles/kinks.

My Spock right eyebrow raises up when I’ve seen what they’ve been doing at times…

2 Likes
1 Like

You had an aero, how was it if it weren’t for the dead pixels?

2 Likes

Excellent clarity, things looked really defined. FOV horizontal was acceptable, vertical it was low. Really comfy and compact. Felt a really well made headset but obviously had issues with QC/QA given the dead pixel problem. I’d still pick a Crystal now between the 2 even if I could guarantee an Aero without dead pixels.

2 Likes