Overreacting to Reactions Discussion

Sure but most people don’t like confrontation so then you have people ruining an entire forum for everyone and they think that it’s only a small handful that take issue with it. You also have people taking the reactions extremely poorly and then going off on a tangent and targeting people then.

If it was in person then these types of escalations and confrontations wouldn’t happen but because online interactions lose so much nuance and tone then things get misconstrued and people don’t make any real effort to meet eye to eye, so the whole dynamic changes. In real life, definitely say something to someone’s face. But I think there is merit here to anonymous reactions so people can be more open about community driven moderation without fear of being attacked.

Ultimately, the calling someone an idiot to their face should be reserved for PMs. I won’t be touching on this subject anymore as it has went on for the whole day essentially, and it seems to be a recurring thing on this forum more and more often lately. I really like this forum and the discussion here, from all angles and opinions, but it has become unusable. I have had multiple people message asking how do they block people on here so they can use the forum better, not sure why me but apparently others have also received similar.

People have tried to get back on topic here and that has been derailed again. So personally, I won’t be touching anything anymore unless directly related to on topic discussion. I might just move off the forum entirely though if it keeps going like this. I’m sure I won’t be dreadfully missed lol but I will miss the place myself.

Anyway, to get back on topic. It will be interesting to hear what that youtuber has to say. I asked them to specifically let us know the FOV if they can, they haven’t mentioned if they are on NDA or what. Seems like their review is coming next week, I’m guessing we might expect quite a few next week so this will finally be the beginning of the long awaited reviewer cycle. The product will need to be returned to a number of times for updated reviews as more features come out but ultimately these initial reviews will be the most impactful.

Yeah, so then do it anonymously. Like I said, gutless.

Best way to have a topic not derail is just not react to such posts at all. If you reply, like you just did, the other one feels the need to reply again etc etc etc.

Had retort worked properly I could have tailored what emoji could be available.

That being said the Reaction plugin I can add emoji for use and with that your excellent suggestion will add :popcorn: emoji as unlike the :poop: emoji is not inappropiate that may be considered truly immature and offensive.

However we also do not bloat/overload the available emoji reaction set.

I don’t think reactions necessarily mean one is implying that someone else is an ‘idiot’
It may indicate some simple disagreement and the person providing the reaction doesn’t yet have time or has formed the words to provide anything in more depth about the reaction.
Or maybe the reaction is just enough as it stands.

I don’t mind the anonymity of the reaction, as it’s simply just that, and nothing necessarily need be said further.

Of course, I don’t like think people like when their posts get downvoted. Sure, I’d rather not get a downvote too.
I guess I don’t really need to know WHO downvoted me. I’ll just trust that if they have anything constructive to offer, they’ll write out their thoughts to what I say.

That said though, I don’t think it’s necessary for people to simply just downvote someone just on the basis that they don’t like them at all. I mean, if any way to prevent some such abuse like that, I’d be for it.

Votes and reactions should be on a post by post basis IMO.

I am honestly not fussy on reddit’s ideals on there voting system. However if “one” needs to explain say the :-1: then the opposite is true as well. The idea of a reaction system is to reduce bloat of posting oneliners when a a reaction will do as quick response. The thumbs down really shouldn’t be a negative if used.

Otherwise we might as well remove the reactions plugin and ho back to the very bland :heart: like defaults that has no variety. Then folks would be forced to have to reply if they wanted anything other than a “like”.

As the system does not use the scoring negative system like reddit. Honestly there really shouldn’t be ppl over reacting to a :-1: as it can easily be seen if enough ppl react with other emoji has more weight. Much like how it works on Youtube where you can see how many likes and how many ppl disliked a video. To which no one knows whom reacted or what was the result.

Now we have only really had one over reaction to a reaction. Even though there has been other folks that have received a :-1: without inciting unnecessary drama.

1 Like

When was the last time you checked YouTube? Down votes are not shown anymore.
It just created negativity. So they decided its better without that.

Just now and have seen that only the content creator gets the negativity sent directly to them.

Would you prefer you get anonymous :-1: reports to the author of post? Interesting idea; but don’t think it is necessary. However quite do able with some research.

1 Like

If there are gonna be some major changes to a part of the forum, it is a discussion worth having, but think a dedicated topic might be better for this instead as it’s getting way off topic now for a long time, plus if user input and popular vote is gonna be a factor, a dedicated topic might be better for attention then so this one can focus on relevant Crystal discussion.

Much as the Crystal is a big thing lots of people are following, I have no doubt there are people who aren’t in this topic or who just scroll past the off topic discussion.

1 Like

Agreed. Thus discussion has disrespected the Op’s Topic for far too long over nothing.Long ago a user was being quite toxic and others where informed of the mute user option in the user profile settings. To which the system sends an automated message that the community is finding there behavior inappropiate or maybe toxic. It does not notify whom has muted them. It was quite effective with said user as he chose to apologize to the community after the system notified him that an unknown number of users muted him.

Please check your dm. Still waiting for some apologies there too

As folks in this topic are aware we had a misunderstanding between @Djonko & @Omniwhatever.

Unfortunately I did not handle it as well as I could/should have. For that I sincerely apologize not only to the 2 gentlemen but also the community at large for my failings.

My failings/learning opportunities are:

1. I should have either publically addressed both individuals or better pulled both into a group DM. Instead I made one of them feel centered out even though that was not my intent.
  2. After stating as a Moderator to move things to a DM. I failed to enforce this, allowing unnecessary drama remain a public spectacle.

I have spoken to both Gentlemen whom understand my position and have both provided very useful feedback to help me grow and evolve a standardize process.

I will make a full announcement post with link to the Community Guidelines post I made long ago… or perhaps a repost with revisions.

Moving forward. I will ask the pimax team members to defer moderation to me as they have enough other responsibilities to contend with.

I will pull parties into both a group DM and seperate DMs. If needed I will issue short temporary bans on here called “Silence” This will prevent those involved from posting publically. Typically this will be a 24hr period, but I am confident that we can resolve issues together removing the Silence before the 24hr period ends.

Keep in mind depending on the nature of the issue and time constraints it may take longer to resolve and/or may still require a period of time to remain on a “Time out”.

Basics of what I will ask of tge community. Keep me honest on the procedure above.

• Form a ‘buddy system’. The buddy system will be a network of ppl you respect that can pull you into a DM when you might be going off the rails.

• Know yourself: Recognize when your feeling heated & your blood is starting to boil. Takeva break away from the forum. Do something relaxing. Come back with a fresh perspective.

• Is it worth it? : Nothing has to become an apocalypse. We are all highly intelligent here. We have differences of opinion. See agree to disagree. Stay on topic.

• Be kind to yourself & others: Before commiting the post to publish read it over and ask uf the wording could be misinteroeted. Let the past go. It is diffucult to grow and change if your meant to feel yoyr walking on eggshells with people waiting for you to slip up. Compliment each other on positive changes accomplished.

Only together can we affect change and make our community a friendly place not only for ourselves but for those coming here for the first time.

Let’s get back what we lost and discuss all things XR with kindness, dignity & mutual respect! We can be the best community again if we work together to foster and facilitate change to achieve a Juggernaut of positive momentum!

6 Likes

Totally agreed helio. It seems I misinterpreted a post by @Omniwhatever what irritated him and I got in turn agitated by the language in his post which I found offensive and the lack of response to that foul language . In any case such problem should be solved by contacting you directly which I will do next time when I feel something is not right. I do apologize for the mess on the forum that this caused. Thanks

4 Likes

I appreciate your humility and transparency. I also don’t think you handled things nearly as poorly as you seem to think you did!

For my part, I only added to the derailment because I felt that an important point needed to be made about a specific poster’s behavior - especially from the perspective of impact on a newer community member. Should such a situation occur again, I will make my thoughts known via a polite private message instead of adding fuel to the fire!

4 Likes

I thank you for your ownership and kind words. But if we are to truly move forward I have to evolve processes. In truth a failing is simply a learning opportunity. And this xp has definitely helped me to learn how to do better.

A moderator needs to find and develop techniques to be a bridge. I may have the kindness but I do need to recognize when to force a public shutdown and force things to have resolution in private. However my nature at times does get in the way of doing what should have been done.

And as I found out prior to this event my methods have contributed harm not only to the community but to individuals whom were already having a rough go in life.

I have also been informed some folks feel intimated to participate fir concerns of repercussions. To which people need to feel free to send me a DM as I can help address those concerns and work with those in need.

We often do not see how others might perceive us and that makes it hard fir others to approach concerns. I can help make things easier.

1 Like

Sorry to only (briefly) comment and run as I’m about to rush out the door for a few hours, lot more to catch up on than expected logging in today, but everyone else already said something.

But, thanks for the response, I am sorry for the trouble caused to the forum and making things personal, think the post is a good idea and outline going forward and should hopefully avoid some issues repeating.

4 Likes

nah I barely see that as your fault. We should just have sorted things out in private via the mod, not in the public on the forum, that will only stir things up. Next time I see insults on the forum I’ll just contact you directly, you can then indeed get the 2 people who have a problem together, talk to them both and work things out like we did now. It’s really the best way to move forward for the community, I’m happy with this new procedure, seems like a great idea to keep the topics clean and have less agitation on the forum.

2 Likes

I figure here is a good place to post since there is discussion on the reaction system above already…I dont know what changed but it has become pretty annoying scrolling through threads on mobile. When I’m using my thumb to scroll down I am seemingly always hitting the reactions button and forcing a popup of who has reacted to a comment which stops the scrolling from happening. This has never been an issue before but has been happening frequently in the past week or so so much that I have to consciously look where I am scrolling so I can stop it from happening constantly.

1 Like

The reaction button moved over to the right, so that’s probably it (assuming you swipe with your right hand, no idea what you get up to with the other one).

2 Likes

The Retort that granted multiple emoji reactions vs the new pick 1 that improves the like system. Yes having both systems or even just retort plus basic like system did crowd the mobile interface. Now with Retort disabled due to it being EOL/deprecated should now fixed the issue. With Retort being abandoned in development in favor of the new reactions plugin would eventually lead to the site breaking on an update.

It seemed to for some odd reason to be in different positions in some of the categories. I am not sure why it had this odd behaviour. When yiu hit the Retort icon ut would also take over the screen with the full emoji menu. Which could be problematic in itself. When it was first released you could choose a set of emojis but on here that became broken making it all or nothing.

1 Like