Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I gave it a try - tell me 5 arguments each pro & contra Pimax:

Arguments for Pimax:

1. High resolution: Pimax headsets have a high resolution, which can provide a more immersive and clear VR experience.
2. Wide field of view: Pimax headsets have a wide field of view, which can give the user a more natural and realistic experience.
3. Comfortable design: Pimax headsets are designed to be comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
4. Affordable price: Pimax headsets are relatively affordable compared to other high-end VR headsets on the market.
5. Large selection of compatible games and apps: Pimax headsets are compatible with a wide variety of games and apps, providing users with many options for content.

Arguments against Pimax:

1. Limited tracking capabilities: Pimax headsets may have limited tracking capabilities, which can affect the overall VR experience.
2. Compatibility issues: Pimax headsets may have compatibility issues with certain games or apps.
3. Limited support: Pimax may have limited support compared to other VR headset manufacturers.
4. High-end PC required: Pimax headsets may require a high-end PC in order to run properly.
5. Mixed reviews: Some users have reported mixed experiences with Pimax headsets, with some praising the high resolution and wide field of view while others have had issues with comfort or limited tracking capabilities.

I‘d have given different ones, but okay.

3 Likes

He first starts his post with making the incorrect assumption that I’m assuming Pimax was using 140 as the horizontal FoV number and then ‘corrects’ me on making such assumption. I was not, I was saying Pimax is saying 140, while it’s only 121. Then, he comes up with the defensive part, where he says the whole industry can’t figure out how to calculate it correctly. That’s just nonsense, it’s like saying nobody knows how to add up 1 and 1. BTW he even says so himself that he’s defending Pimax:

Yeah, better not do that at ALL! “Fudging the FoV” is punishable under pretty much any marketing law I’m sure. If a (group of) consumer(s) would care enough and make a case out of it, they’d win guaranteed. It’s selling a product based on misleading specifications!

He then ends his post with

While he’s only giving misinformation in his post (that nobody knows how to calculate diagonal FoV).

Yikes. Apparently it’s too hard to publish reliable specs. If they’re reliable, well, then based on what’s going on in this thread, it seems there needs to be further explanation from PIMAX regarding how they’re arriving at these numbers, and how tools to measure it aren’t agreeing.

2 Likes

Boy, you are sure going for gold in the mental gymnastics here huh? Well, alright, since you clearly can’t understand context unless it’s beaten through your thick skull, allow me to explain in exact detail everything I was getting at.

Measuring diagonal FoV has some more ways to go about fudging the numbers or is generally less cut and dry, straight to the point that even a child could figure out when it’s simply “How much do you see to your left/right or up/down?” for horizontal and vertical. There was, quite literally in this same goddamn thread, a brief discussion about that same fact. I know your attention span is short, but it should not be this hard for you. There are vastly less ways to bluff your way into inflating numbers by just going “well, see we measured it THIS way” and that’s what should be focused on.

I was not defending Pimax, like you seem to enjoy painting anything that is even the tiniest bit positive and anything above “Pimax is a complete joke lol”. If you start making up points to try and score some kind of win in your criticism, it just weakens your side and it’s better to focus on the actual points there. Bloody everyone means horizontal or vertical, but most often horizontal, FoV when simply mentioning FoV numbers. I’ve yet to see a single other person that isn’t in marketing use diagonal FoV as a kind of meaningful measure, and especially when not adding the context of which kind of FoV they mean. I even clarified the 140 to 125 FoV to you at one point and you liked the damn post.

I even said in my post that Pimax’s 125 horizontal claim is nonsense and they should fix that, that it’s not okay. How goddamn willfully ignorant do you have to be to take that as me defending Pimax? Did you practice doing all this cherry picking or does it simply come naturally?

1 Like

Come on, no need to start insulting and get personal. Let’s keep that out ok? This is an internet forum, people disagree but please don’t resort to insults and childish personal attacks. I’m sure @Heliosurge agrees.

3 Likes

Hey I never said I disagreed with stating horizontal FoV and vertical FoV instead of diagonal. I’ve proposed that myself several times here, so we agree on that part for sure.

And that’s why I was not comparing diagonal to horizontal in my last post. You made that incorrect assumption and then ‘corrected’ me on that.

Further, not sure what your post is saying. You simply were defending 'fudging of the FoV", you literally said it yourself.

Don’t defend that. It’s a crime, it’s punishable under any marketing law to sell a product based on incorrect specifications. It’s hugely misleading and you should not not defend such practice AT ALL.

Are you bloody kidding me. That’s not at all what I was doing, I said I didn’t even want to do that, literally. My exact words. I DON’T want to do that, but we should get the fact straights. Because disagreeing with your assessment is sure as hell gonna make me look like I am defending it, because clearly you think I was, despite what I said and even said the figure was not okay. Can you read?

You wanna accuse me of defending illegal false advertising and then you get a little bit pissy at an insult? Are you for real?

No, this is what you said:

That’s very different. It means that you did somewhat defend it, which you indeed did by saying:

since seems nobody can agree on how the hell you exactly measure it and seems to exist solely to inflate marketing numbers.”

And now you’re trying to twist your own words, but that’s a bit hard on this forum when there are copies.

No, I didn’t. You’re blind if you think I did and can’t follow the context of the rest of the paragraph. You are being ridiculous. That clearly means them fudging the numbers that much not that I wanna defend it.

1 Like

Guys… Wouldn’t you both agree that it’s ultimately on PIMAX to clarify their specs and these results? Not that they will, but…

4 Likes

Yes that would be great. However, based on past experience I dare to wager that they won’t. They just put a hugely misleading spec out there and then won’t comment on it- at all.

…just imagine that the FOV increases by one degree with every post… xD

1 Like

Makes me wonder

Just imagine Pimax loses one HMD sale for every day that passes.

:wink:

Haha first time I see chatGPT getting confused :slight_smile:

A Pimax employee mentioning no names has visited this forum the last two days and said nothing even though he’s the COO and appears in this photo.

2 Likes

Now say something he doesn’t like and see him respond within 2 minutes.

1 Like

Guns blazing.

2 Likes

I think in this case they will have a harder time getting away with it. Diagonal FOV is a bit more nebulous but horizontal and vertical is pretty clear cut, Pimax can’t really pretend to have calculated the hFOV and vFOV differently. That’s why I’m thinking if they move to making sales directly in the EU then this could land them in serious hot water as it would be breaking the law to advertise incorrect numbers (especially to this extent, I guess like 5% you’d get away with but we’re looking at more like 20% which is huge).

This isn’t me trying to make a fuss even, I genuinely think it’s important for them to address and rectify this as it could really come back to bite them. I’m guessing what we’ll see is the hFOV and vFOV get omitted from the spec sheet and just the diagonal left up, which is not a solution I would find acceptable, but hopefully something better comes from it.

3 Likes

Luckily, your marketing strategy fights against these losses. :rofl:

Ok, any technical News despide the NDA?