Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Notorious. Lol

I mean… The Pimax Crystal already ‘launched’ back on Nov 2, 2021, no?
We can call it a pre-launch announcement at this rate and not an actual ‘launch’ of the product.
Because if the product actually launched, I would imagine these specs on FoV etc would have already been confirmed well before now. We’d have solid and confirmed specs in our hands.

So stuff like you’re talking about above really puts into perspective the true state of things with this headset (if the roadshow situation wasn’t telling enough).

I hope for the best, but I simply found it hard to believe that they’d be shipping out prime-time headsets right after CES, find it hard to believe they’d have those headsets going out end of January, and find it hard to believe that even at the end of March we’d have some solid launch-worthy product in our hands.

I mean, once Beta testers get these headsets in hand, it’s going to take more than a few days to go through all the tests. Will take time for PIMAX to make changes and push out new builds of firmware and software, retesting, regression testing, rinse and repeat. This takes time. So even 1 month of testing seems rather short.
Plus, will they not also test the WiFi6 and WiGig features? As they should do. Which requires their WiGig modules to be ready for that testing as well.

I really hope fast progress can be made to get iron-clad specs confirmed, a reliable way to identify lenses, and Beta Tests reported back asap in order, again, for this thing to be in a launch-worthy state.

Waiting to see what happens. :popcorn:

1 Like

For a ‘good’ release Pimax needs the options promised within the headset proper to work well. The WiGig can wait, so can the pass through faceplate and even the base station tracking faceplate. (Although it apparently works well)
Eye tracking, wifi, and stand alone have to work, and all the lens issues that may still exist need to be fixed. There’s no such thing as perfect on initial release when it comes to firmware. All elements controlled by it will likely get better with each iteration of the firmware.

1 Like

I suppose WiFi6E is good enough. But not everyone has a WiFi6E router. They may only have the option to use WiGig (which I’ve heard is theoretically better thru-put vs WiFi6E anyways).

It just means, that if they don’t give the customer the option to purchase and use the WiGig, then the customer will at least have to have or go out and purchase a WiFi6E router in order to have any stand-alone at all.

So, it kinda makes me feel WiGig should also be ready from the get go to support a Stand-alone option. shrug

1 Like

Dear sir, you have just been introduced to the Pimax ExperienceTM. Take a seat and hold on to your handles because this will be a wild ride.
Disclaimer: we cannot guarantee you will not join the club of grumpy veterans if you expose yourself for longer than 2 years.

2 Likes

Surprised we still have no response to this. Again, not looking to bash or anything. Personally I was very happy with the FOV I saw on the roadshow and perhaps it was the aspheric sweetspot placebo or something but it felt larger than the pico 4 for example. I’m happy to go ahead with the FOV I saw at the roadshow for my purchase, I just want clarity on the spec sheet numbers as to whether the risa2000 numbers we are seeing are the result of some issue with the tester unit, or if the FOV numbers on the spec sheet need to be changed (to avoid false advertising).

2 Likes

Good luck with that! If you want them to explain why they advertise with 140, while it’s way WAY less, then my ‘pimax experience’ predicts that you won’t get that. They also never explained why they did it for their other headsets. They just seem to set some arbitrarily, way too high, number and then never answer questions about it. If your read back my posts, I already said I fully expected them to do this again.

Jep.

This is not the first you’ve been corrected on this, but a reminder that 140 is diagonal, which is a completely terrible measurement the whole industry should really leave behind for advertising since seems nobody can agree on how the hell you exactly measure it and seems to exist solely to inflate marketing numbers. Should really just have straight vertical/horizontal FoV numbers.

They’re claiming 125 horizontal, which is a ridiculous cry from 103 and not okay, and they absolutely should correct that nonsense, but a big difference from 140. I don’t even wanna defend fudging the FoV that much, but let’s get the facts straight.

2 Likes

The 140 is NOT diagonal. Well it’s diagonal in Pimax mind’s, but with Risa’s tool you can see it’s only 121.

And that’s ALSO false advertising, since it’s 103.

Then stop posting misinformation please and stick to facts. Thanks.

Come on now, I know you can follow context, use your head. Their claim is 140 diagonal, just like I said their claim is 125 horizontal. But diagonal claims are a nebulous mess for the reasons I just outlined and Pimax isn’t even the only one guilty of that there. And it’s much easier with just straight horizontal/vertical. We just had the conversation about diagonal FoV earlier in this thread that should be pretty self evident for it being a problem.

How about you take your own advice and try to follow the conversation?

1 Like

Nonsense, only one way to calculate it correctly. And please stop using ‘whataboutisms’ to defend Pimax. If that’s your best way to defend a punishable crime, best just not to do it.

Okay, so you can’t follow the rest of what I’m saying and are gonna just selectively focus on one thing. Gotcha, great to know I don’t need to bother continuing then.

1 Like

Wait for the other lenses. It is well known that there are two FOV modes for the 42ppd lens. Maybe those are the values. Since there was talk of a FOV similar to the Aero, that could apply to the 103x103.

1 Like

Risa2000’s tool’s values are completely independent of the lenses, since it grabs what the headset itself reports, so that won’t make a difference and they already ran the two on both the 35PPD and 42PPD profiles in PiTool/Pimax’s new software. 42PPD was uuuh… Lot smaller. But that one is supposedly unfinished, so I wouldn’t put too much in those numbers.

The fact they are different at all though means the headset’s profile is being changed, however. And that’s the important part.

2 Likes

How on earth is omni defending Pimax here? You’re both saying that the advertised FOV is unacceptable and false with the FOV numbers we have seen from a tester. Omni was just saying that diagonal FOV isn’t as useful as horizontal and vertical, which is true, and in this case Pimax have actually given us the horizontal and vertical numbers on their spec sheet (which is fairly uncommon).

That’s not defending Pimax, in fact it would have the opposite impact potentially as being more objective and clear cut with the issue means there’s less wiggle room to potentially brush aside.

2 Likes

I did too but not to this extent. Also, like I mentioned earlier, with the vision series they only gave diagonal FOV numbers which (while incorrect like you said) they could calculate in a weird (ie wrong) way to get a much higher number than is true. However they have given the horizontal and vertical numbers on the spec sheet which are much more clear cut and that’s what I’m asking for them to clarify: Either is the tester getting a number too small due to some firmware issue, or software client issue, or do those spec sheet numbers need to be updated to avoid being false advertising.

(Also this isn’t defending Pimax, nothing I am saying here is flattering although I am hoping to give them a chance to rectify this before taking full price sales from a wider pool of consumers).

1 Like

Yes, both modes have been tested in software. The lenses are just the 1 type of lense (seems like 42ppd) but the lenses wouldn’t impact the Risa2000 results as there’s no way for the headset to detect which lenses are included.

Also your English is far from rudimentary, it’s excellent. Don’t sell yourself short!

3 Likes

google helps sometimes for writing :joy: but i read without.

3 Likes

Try chatGPT - it will soon take over entire discussions pro and contra Pimax all by itself here… :crazy_face:

1 Like

I bet all those testers are getting told how to set up their Crystals right now.