Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Then it begs the question, how hard is it to identify these lenses? Why is Pimax not bringing their own ROV results to the table? How many more mixups is Pimax going to make? Who’s in charge of all this?

2 Likes

Maybe Pimax is taking your advice and staying quiet on promises and delivery dates.

1 Like

But FOV?

I just tried my Pico4 and get maxed 110 degrees horizontal in ROV.

1 Like

The delivery date thing, I completely agree on. They need to stay quiet until they are absolutely certain, as they have missed too many deadlines and it only does harm.

On the promises though, that’s totally different. They need to clarify the spec sheet, and update it if necessary, otherwise they are selling a product based on false advertising and that is an actionable situation by the consumer. It’s entirely in Pimax’s interest first and foremost to make sure that info is correct. The diagonal FOV stuff on the vision series was vague enough to be dismissable but saying FOV numbers for horizontal and vertical on your product spec sheet, when the headset is rendering a much much (like 20%+) lower FOV, is actually dangerous territory to be in.

3 Likes

How would that be possible? It renders max 104deg I thought?

1 Like

Its 104 according to risa’s tool? Can you try that tool?

Yeah, my understanding is that tool is reporting the objective max FOV.

Where do I get Risas tool?

1 Like

The data is them submitted and compiled here:

It seems pretty clear that the fov is 104. I’ve never seen it be reported any higher.

2 Likes

How does that tool know how far your eye is from the lens and how far the lens is from the panel and what IPD you have set?

1 Like

Here is the release build:

You just start SteamVR and then run the command line and it shows you output on the command line

The tool calculates what the rendered FoV is. The ROV measurement should never be higher than the rendered output, or things are rendered incorrectly. So it sets the theoretical max FoV. The FoV in practice most often is even smaller because the gasket might hide part of the panel.

1 Like

Guys, just relax and wait, they ought to have sent out 200 headsets by the end of the month IIRC so there will be a number of users not bound by NDA’s reporting on it within a week or two.
They won’t mix up lenses, displays, headsets or whatever it was for all of them.

Perhaps that poor soul was just sent the uindisclosed prototype of the Pimax Valley with extra-narrow FoV… :wink:

2 Likes

As for lens identification: If nothing else, there is a picture, which has been part of a few posts on this forum, where Kevin is holding a lens in each hand, inspecting them; And I am pretty sure one of them was noticeably smaller in diameter, as compared to the frame it was fitted into, than the other. I might also expect the larger FOV lens to be thicker than the small FOV one, but I may be getting things backwards there – I’m prone to that sort of thing. :7

1 Like

1 Like

Good eye @jojon, there’s definitely a big difference there. @Omniwhatever Could you relay that to that tester for them to (potentially) figure out if they have the 42 ppd lenses?

After testing the Pico4 I redact my previous 110 claim. It’s more like 100. Those paddles are not the best.

1 Like

The ROV test while quite good is subjective and it is also likely there working on optimizing software to see what final result will give best effect.

“So patience grasshopper all will be revealed when the time is right.”

As for lens identification it is possible there still working out details. However in all honesty, once it is in consumer hands it should be easy to not mix them up with a but if care and just an idea maybe to lens case with labels. Remove 1 set to empty case then grab the other one. you wish to install.

1 Like

Yeah, you need a good paddling. Eh… paddles.

1 Like

Yeah they’re fiddly.

Maybe Pimax is not the n.1 in VR world but, as a good musician/actor/writer/TV anchor is a greeeeat source of gossip and news…