Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Nobody does. It’s very possible that a hardware problem gets detected in the first batches and that Pimax will release a newer hardware version later on, that’s what they’ve always been doing. Remember the ‘black dots’ problem? They released a version with updated panel hardware later on. Or the “self cracking cases” issue, although this took a while to fix in a hardware update.

I think it’s pretty cool that they’re doing this beta. The people who don’t want to take risks, can evaluate after a few weeks and then decide to jump in or wait till any potential (hardware) problem has been fixed.

For me I decided I never want to be in the first batch of Pimax products again. Both the 5k and the 8kX I bought off Ebay within the first days of release, and both hardware revisions got improved quite quickly. Unless you’re very desperate, it’s much better to wait a while. Especially now Pimax is charging much more for their products.

4 Likes

We do. We know Pimax are shipping an incomplete product.

We know the first batch will be to people who are PCVR orientated and care less about stand-alone.

We know Pimax are already ramping up production even before testers have received their units because Pimax has told us and shown pictures.

2 Likes

@Finn Did you have to pay upfront before getting your tracking number?

2 Likes

Afaik, no one has paid for their headset or received a tracking number yet. A few youtubers have gotten tracking numbers for CES units but that’s a different thing altogether.

If someone is passionate about Pimax succeeding then they should be as meticulous and forthcoming with feedback as possible. I know I willl. I have sent 15+ page documents in the past to Pimax with long lists of feedback, suggestions, changes etc. I’m not sure who you would be referring to out of that list of testers tbh, I would assume that you think of me as one of them but I can assure you I won’t be brushing off anything. There might be an issue or 2 that I don’t see, that others do, due to the personal nature of a VR headset and how different the experience can be for 2 people, but I want pimax to succeed and make the best headsets that they can (especially when spending so much money, one of the most expensive purchases I’ve ever made actually, at least on an entertainment product) so it’s in no one’s interest, my own especially, to be ignoring or passing things off as minor.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Let us know when things change.

3 Likes

No specific names were mentioned. It’s a general blanket statement.
I my experience before I’ve seen fanboys flame the fires and gloss over important things just for the sake of getting that game/product in their hands sooner regardless of the state.
I don’t know what you or anyone would specifically do or not do.
I don’t think it’s necessary to ‘assume’ I’m speaking about you or some other person in particular.

Best of luck testing. Hope it works out.

3 Likes

We don’t know any of those things. Because something wasn’t demonstrated at CES does not mean it isn’t in place in the hardware, nor that it hasn’t tested internally. You may be right, but again, it’s mostly speculation. Let’s see how it goes. I certainly hope we’ll see HMD’s that are complete in terms of hardware.
@atmos, I do not have a tracking number; I have not ordered a Crystal.

2 Likes

But we do. Pimax stated Crystal is ramping up.

Crystal will be incomplete when it ships because Pimax stated so in their last MRTV interview when they said Standalone features will be turned off.

23:00

We’ve never seen PC streaming work once so unless there’s some major breakthrough I don’t see WiFi at 2880x2880 x2 any time soon.

1 Like

As soon as you start to compress 2880x2880 are you any better off than 2160x2160 native. Then you’re into Pico4 territory for Stand-alone while Pico4 is half the size.

2 Likes

Coming to you ‘soon’ isn’t entirely specific, and how long will ramping up take? And what constitutes ‘complete’ for an initial production run?
Wait for evidence, then reach a tentative conclusion.
You’ve already formed an opinion about standalone mode, and once again it’s speculation based on facts not in evidence.
It may well be delayed. Will it be better than the Pico? I don’t know. It should have a wider and taller FOV. Beyond that I don’t care to speculate.

1 Like

pico 4 might be half the size but i just got one and currently it murders my nose and forehead,if i lift it up a bit then im out of the sweet spot and looks bad

1 Like

That’s a question for Pimax I’m just providing proof on what they said - Production is ramping up.

I provided a video with the CEO and COO both stating stand alone will not be functional when shipping begins.

Makes no difference to me either way. But until they show it working it isn’t working. Stand-alone or WiFi streaming. It’s Pimaxes fictional chart v my reality chart. It’s not reality until we’ve seen it with our own eyes and Pimax aren’t showing it.

2 Likes

We also haven’t seen streaming with the Portal.

I suspect the software just isn’t working yet. Probably tough to develop software solutions for so many moving parts that the same time, with a relatively small team.

2 Likes

It’s realistic to expect that standalone is going to take some time to develop. Even if they had the full software stack, ready, how many developers have actually finished their games for their software platform?

Just be happy when it gets to you, and then worry about extra features after that. The XR2 is already a little long in the tooth, so I don’t expect the stand-alone offering to be very good anyway. you’re paying for an aero competitor that is slightly cheaper but packed with features. Keep focus on what the device was initially designed to compete with, a high-end desktop, VR device. That was with the main thrust of what you’re paying for, and it seems like all of that is good to go steam VR tracking is working. It has amazing picture quality.

4 Likes

I suspect that the first headsets off the line will go to the beta test. I have no idea if they will ship concurrently with the first purchased hmd’s or if those will be shipping after the big holiday in China, or after the initial feedback from testers. No idea. It does seem that if the former is the case, then Pimax expects to be able to solve any problems that arise with the ‘production’ HMD’s promised capabilities (e.g. Eye Tracking, Auto IPD) through software updates. But again, I have no idea what the structure of the testing will be, nor what Pimax wants to achieve.

1 Like

I don’t have to worry I already have Stand-alone and wireless PCVR with the Pico4.

Pimax have to worry because as time goes by other headsets get released.

Crystal should of been here October last year and we’re edging towards 3 months later already with not one working demo of the WiFi6e.

If you think Pimax has all the time in the world get ready for a shock.

2 Likes

@Finn Yes Wifi6e has limitations. To be fare Pimax has the Module for less compressed PCVR. But how much that’s going to cost I don’t know. £2-300?

1 Like

Just my two cents but Pimax has a long history of shipping unfinished or straight up broken headsets to big youtubers and have paid the price with their reputation. With the Crystal still being unfinished I am certain some reviewers will be getting duds. We all might be considering how they are shipping before everything is even done.

I have said multiple times they need to sit down and finish this headset completely before rushing it out the door broken. Its their fault for giving such unreasonable release estimates when they had no reason to and now I feel like they are rushing to avoid any further delays.

6 Likes

Delays for computer products are extremely common right now. They don’t have to worry about anything, because they’ve got the crystal demonstrated to be in working order in its core components as opposed to. Fluff. when the 12 K is released they will have a headset that will work with probably three generations video card before it’s fully utilized. I don’t have unrealistic expectations for a tech company during a global supply crash. Any supply problems they are having, delays, etc. other people are having too

We have seen the 8KX get released, the 4K, the 5K plus I have no reason to assume that these new HMD‘s will be different. I think a lot of people complaining right now about delays don’t realize how ridiculously common this is

1 Like

Part of finishing the device completely has to include the testers because we’ve already seen what happens when their engineers only work internally. The issue where there optics were tailored for nearsighted people couldn’t have been avoided if it stayed internal.

2 Likes