Pimax 8KX - How future proof is it?

According to this article: DisplayPort 2.0 is ready for 8K monitors and beyond - The Verge , the first monitors to use DP 2.0 are expected “in late 2020”, so there’s a good chance that the spec isn’t yet implemented in production-quantity chips. It is highly desirable though; it supports “Two 4K (3840x2160) displays @144Hz and 24 bpp 4:4:4 (no compression)”. Of course, video cards and cables that support the spec need to be available also.

Personally, as much as I’d like to see DP 2.0 implemented in the 8KX, it seems premature (and unlikely) at this time. My prediction is that it will be implemented in the “8KX+”, promised for end-of-the-year 2020 and actually delivered sometime in 2021.

“Future proof” is a bit of an illusion at this point. We are still early in the development of VR. I think I’ll be happy with an 8KX for at least 3-5 years, at which point, I’ll upgrade. I had expected to be using my 8K for that long, but I was expecting it to be more like the 8K+. I expected the 8KX to require 2 SLI video cards, which is too extreme for my wallet (and not widely supported by games). Luckily, it looks like my current system will be fine for an 8KX, so I plan to get one.

10 Likes

Will be with you on that prevision, further more going low power is another step for that kind of high speed bridge. Wonder it they will have to use lower density process…

3 Likes

That’s a good idea, and I’m pretty sure Pimax has considered it. The question is, is it good for a company who’s presenting many headsets every year, to release a headset that will least so many years? Don’t get me wrong, I prefer this rather than waiting 3-4 years for the new model. Although, it’s better for the company to keep the chance of a great upgrade for the next model. That’s how it works on all tech companies.
It’s true that Pimax is a different tech company tough, and definitively SHOULD put displayport 2.0 on the 8KX to prove it.

1 Like

which player do u use in combination with SVP? I recommend starting in 2D flat screen to set it up.
of course when using eg. whirligig 3d, mind that u might already have maxed ur performance for SS.
For M-Player use ctrl+J to see stats and decrease ur MADVR setting accordingly.
Also artifact removal costs CPU power and is not need on highest setting.
When using LAV filters make sure to set it on GPU (sounds like your filter was set to CPU,
check settings)

If you still run in trouble I can offer a skype session in the new year, we‘ll check on ur problem and have a beer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Question about future-proof…? By how much is a Valve Index future-proof?

The Pimax 8KX is the future.

It’s present-proof, backwards compatible, using the scaler.

This top-of-the-line pre-OCed RTX2080ti I got here is not as future-proof as I’d like it to be. It sweats heavily giving 16.588.800 pixels @75Hz (translates to 13.824.000 pixels @90Hz in 5K+).

5 Likes

Honesty, not that much, except potential 60Hz flickering on various LCD panels. When the source footage was already shot with 60fps the noticeable difference is neglectable.
When running 60fps on 90 Hz though, different story. That‘s why the 60Hz mode is important, especially for 60 fps footage.
If u use 24fps footage u will hardly see any difference (60 vs 90 vs 120) since here it is most important for the frames to match the refreshrate in a multiple. Think of it like a manual freesync/gsync. It‘s working great because a movie has its fixed fps, when games tend to vary fps depending on demand.

2 Likes

I‘ll try to update that sheet in a couple of weeks. Some stuff has changed meanwhile.
All I can say for now that DEO has come a long way and added tons of great features.
(Like a good working Filebrowser, where you can delete files/waaay improved controller assignment)

2 Likes

I guess at a certain point the resolution will not be the main concern any more, but much more the responsiveness of the Panel (gray to gray), the “true Color” aspect and perfection of lenses, the responsive of movement and stuff like haptic vests or Hands

• or a new technic doing that with some other trick and going more to mixed reality (augmented) as it could be a nice device for every day - your mails and Messages just appear on your HUD during a walk, your browser or personal AI Looks up stuff you don’t know and overlays it to reality and so on and in the evening it totally flics that off and throws you in some game world…
2 Likes

Also we need more high quality content.

5 Likes

Definitely - I feel like that is just slowly now Happening with games like Asgard’s Wrath, Stormland and Alyx (with Boneworks).
I Hope more catch up (Ubi seems to be poking the hive with some small titels…)

I loved some Indie older titles, but if you get used to some stuff - like None Clipping of myself through the world and correct Physics – it’s hard to not have them anymore…

I guess some of that will be “VR Game” Basics soon…

7 Likes

seems like such a waste using the most advanced headset in the known universe as an oculus go?

lol…but you do you?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yes as others have said here, I will also add my +1 to it. If the way you’re thinking about was how it worked then it wouldn’t be called super sampling at all, it would be called “simply increasing the resolution”

The point is to render the image on the pc side in higher detail and then shrink the image to the native res of the screen. The amount of data being sent over the wire is the same. The benefit of SS is that the native inage looks like it retains more detail from the larger rendered image.

Also in the link below @SweViver shows that the 8kx running natively looks better running at its native resolution and actually the index has to suoersample to higher resolution than the 8kx and it still wont look as good because its ultimately getting downsampled to 1600p. So 8kx is probably less demanding than running an index, because its high native res doesn’t require ss to the same degree or at all.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8kx-testing-progress-december-20-2019/24546/19?u=drowhunter

3 Likes

Yeah. Boneworks has convinced me that realistic physics are the future. It grounds you in the world like an anchor.

3 Likes

Well a somewhat janky anchor, but I guess you’re right because you will get stuck on things.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

I like Whirligig mainly because i have learned to navigate it to the best of my ability. Man its been so long since I messed with SVR I would have to start the learning process over again, I only had a slight tutorial from Phil on youtube but I think the program has changed since then. There was also much info at the SVR forums but most of the talk over there was way over my head, LOL.

I would be up for that skype tutorial for sure!! :beer::beers:

I have since upgraded my CPU to a 4790k so hopefully a little better performance is ahead but didnt upgrade socket/MB, just a bigger chip.

I definetly remember seeing and reading about MadVR but dont think I ever got it implicated mainly because I didnt understand about what it was.

I didnt know I could move filters to GPU so that should help.

Ill send you a PM to help me remember to get together when we both have some free time to get me headed in the right direction, I really like better FPS in video and of course in games as well. Im one of those that really appreciates more fps and better refresh rates in our headsets! Thanks!

3 Likes

Haha, yeah, it is indeed.

2 Likes

Pimax and @PimaxUSA must book a meeting with Chris Roberts and demo the 8kX with hand and eye tracking, Chris is all about pushing PC hardware. His statement is that current gen1 is not good enough. So Pimax need to send some 8kX headset’s to Cloudimperiumgames.

3 Likes

I wish it wasn’t the case, as the new 3.8 v4 environments, Microtech etc look stunning, but I fear official VR support is a few years away :frowning:

I was literally looking yesterday to see if VorpX works, but I don’t see any evidence of SC support since 3.4 / 3.5. I’d grab it instantly if it did

Edit correction just found a YT channel running 3.8 in VR. Gotta go try it!

1 Like

If anyone is interested how to do it, this is what I found. Seems 3.8 changed a lot of resolution compatibility, but the details work for 110 FOV and they haven’t figured out Pimax yet:

1 Like

Official VR support is in fact few year away, they are now mostly done with planetary tec and moving toward Vulcan support and (OpenXR). In that regard it is important to be in the loop early on. Here is a link of Chris talking about VR timestamps 26min

You can check out YouTuber Eychimo’s Adventures. He plays SC 3.8 with VorpX

2 Likes