Pimax 8KX - How future proof is it?

to be blunt - there is no future proof (when you can use the 2x4k today, like having a rtx 2080ti)
the DP 1.4 is a “limit” of the bridge chip and when DP 2.0 is available you cant use it to squeeze out more, so no 90Hz or above for 2x4k
the only future proof with the 8k-x is that you can use the scaler if your gpu and software cant handle the full resolution - but undersampling can do this too (presumably with a “less sharp” picture)

as it looks by now VR is not loosing its momentum, so we will see new headsets in 2020 and 2021
atm there is nothing on the radar in the price/resolution/fov range of the 8k-x
it does not look like xtal or starvr are going to release something in the next 6-9 months, if so they would announce it to hold off people buying index or 8k-x/8k+

future proof or not 8k-x seems to be the biggest bang for a ambitioned (average income) vr user in 2020 - if you can life with the lenses and 75Hz

not in reality, the lenses and especially the “not with the lenses moving” panels limit the used area of the panels so you loose about 1/3 to 1/4 of your display area

4 Likes

might depend on how much liquid nitrogen you have stored

3 Likes

For any same-render-resolution-in-both-cases, I would expect more sharpness out of targeting native resolution, than upsampled-on-HMD. Each added instance of resampling will soften the image a bit. Could be some sharpening performed on the HMD, too, but that’s fake views. :stuck_out_tongue:

'guess I’ll start condensing some now… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

When talking hardware, futureproof has never excisted, only in wishful thinking :slight_smile:
The longer you think about a term like this, the more it becomes clear that futureproof shouldn’t and wouldn’t ever excist.

4 Likes

Then it’s still the highest res consumer headset available and if you need a faster refresh rate for specific games, you can still run it at 2.5K res at 90 Hz. It should be great for movies in VR, assuming it has a 72 Hz mode. The cockpit-style games I tend to play don’t actually need a high framerate to be enjoyable, so I think I’d be able to use the 8KX for quite a while, before I feel the need for a headset upgrade. (I’ll likely make at least 1 or 2 graphics card upgrades before I need a new headset.)

Also, my understanding is that the cable, headset circuits, and panels THEORETICALLY support a higher refresh rate, so it’s possible (but not guaranteed) that the 8KX native mode might get a refresh rate boost in the future (like the 5K+ did). If so, I’d think 80 or 85 Hz would be more likely than 90 Hz, but this is all speculation at this point.

8 Likes

Can you expound on this a little, Does the 72Hz have something to do with better frame rates?? Thanks :beer::beers:

1 Like

Cinema movies are typically filmed at 24 fps, and 72 = 24 x 3, so the framerate will appear smooth (as opposed to running at 75 Hz, where 3 frames would be shown 4 times, instead of 3 times like the others). The human eye sees that as a slight jerkiness of motion. This is why we pushed hard for Pimax to support 72 Hz in PiTool.

5 Likes

Thanks for the answers guys. I think I actually knew that also, once…lol

So then it most likely will be a 8KX upgrade from my 5K+. I was offered a discount on 8K+/8KX as I wanted to RMA my cracked 5K+… I’m a sucker for long distance details, so 8K+ may not be enough…

3 Likes

Take into account you can get the 8k+ much faster than the 8k-X as thats still not in manufacturing phase.
Recommended to order from Pimax before the 15th of January to get it shipped before the Chinese New year, which will slow things down, logistics etc.

4 Likes

Ahhh yes how quickly I forget… Since my VR camera shoots at 30fps, would then any headset with 60,90 or 120 hz theoretically improve video fluidity(motion)?

Would playback of video shot in 60fps viewed on the Index or Pimax 5K+ with the 120hz setting make any noticeable difference regarding motion, ie more lifelike movements?

2 Likes

Quite possibly as TV’s with TruMotion 120hz do this with 60hz video signals.

2 Likes

I believe we had a user who was well versed with SVP, or one of it’s ilk?

2 Likes

Yes. 120 would probably look better than 90, for 60 fps video. 60 would actually be ideal, assuming you don’t move you head much while watching a movie. (VR movement would be a bit jerky.)

2 Likes

You might be referring to @noro he has tested & created a spreadsheet on a wide variety of vr video players. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

Strange nobody is speaking of a 90hz at reduce FOV for the 8kx…:sunglasses: that would be futur proof :sunglasses:

3 Likes

SVP,Smooth Video Project, when I FINALLY got this app figured out, I found it ate up tons of my CPU sources. It seemed to work but to get any kind of improvement over stock video, its just consumed too much cpu.

2 Likes

I think Pimax should put Displayport 2.0 in the headset. That way when new gpus come out, we can take advantage of 90hz. I guess there’s still Brainwarp 2.0, but who knows how long that’ll take. @PimaxUSA Have you guys considered this?

7 Likes

And at some point, they will. The question is: Is it available in a chip they can use for VR, at an acceptable price?

2 Likes

Yes, Displayport 2.0 for GPU 3080ti coming out this Summer. DO IT!! I am getting it.

vesa publish the display port 2.0 final spec just 6 months ago, pimax is using one of the top performer and last VR chip. First Products with display port are supposed to come to market late 2020 probably tv and video card first.

It’s not being futur proof here but simply in the futur Pimax is having problem with vesa display port 1.4 cables. give it time guys…analogix will probably annonce a news chip next year and available in 2121

don’t forget to include my 4k fUll RGB oled panels or Qled :sunglasses:

2 Likes