Pimax 8KX - How future proof is it?

Thanks will check. I actually can’t set any custom resolutions as on the VorpX instructions so I’m talking to Nvidia customer support on chat about it.

Ha yes I actually found the YT Eychimo’s Adventures and that’s how I knew SC can still work with it!

1 Like

I figured it out myself, Nvidia chat gave up and escalated, 24-48 hours :roll_eyes:

If anyone knows what the right settings for Pimax 5k+ res and FOV to go with VorpX I’d love to know.

EDIT Pimax 5k+ settings for different res and FOV now supplied in config file so not to worry

If I can get this optimised by the time the 8KX arrives I’ll be very happy :smile:

3 Likes

Yup because if there’s one company who knows how to not release a kickstarter project, and meet backer goals before adding new products and features as much as Pimax its CIG.

2 Likes

A lot of things about using VorpX for SC worry me. Latency or artifacts in the TrackIR emulation, lack of FOV coverage, and most of all, performance overhead.

Getting SC to work properly on an 8kX at 1.25x Total SR with smooth framerates… I have little confidence this is possible, and much confidence this would not be hard to offer as a native feature.

On another note…
Don’t confound the Pimax kickstarter with what CIG, and especially FDev, have done. Pimax, I have always been confident, has been doing their best to meet the specifications users actually wanted.

5 Likes

Mmmm I don’t agree with the statement that Pimax is the only one of the three who delivered what customers wanted. All three are doing complex development in fairly new and unknown areas with many hurdles and issues.

There are people in every camp who will say only one of those is doing the job. Personally I am willing to support and constructively criticise all three. I don’t believe any of these companies are scammers trying to steal money, despite what much of the aggrieved factions on the internet would have you believe.

2 Likes

Re VorpX I haven’t got further back into trying that, but not under any illusions that a hack is going to perform optimally. Nonetheless, I would still love to traverse Microtech in VR!

Not to go too far off topic here…but do you think Star Citizen is worth picking up right now? I really haven’t been following it too closely but was curious if there was actually any worthwhile gameplay in it yet.

Depends what you expect out of it. A full featured, stable game? No. And not for a while either.

If you’re happy to play / test an impressive alpha with quarterly updates and new features then yes. There’s also bugs, crashes, and more bugs :slight_smile: No persistent player accounts yet, they get wiped with updates, but that’s about to change.

Right now there’s genuine hours of gameplay. Some things I’m enjoying more now than Elite for comparison:

1. One persistent world but no issues with ganking (in my experience). Server-driven persistence, no peer to peer instancing issues
  2. Good multiplayer esp multicrew. Plenty of players with bigger ships to join up with or will lend them out. Orgs of players can build fleets.
  3. Beautiful and diverse terrain and weather esp atmospheric worlds. I’m enjoying exploration far more
  4. Cities! Looks unbelievable. You can’t explore every building, just zones within them.
  5. Missions - delivery, bounty hunting, distress beacons etc
  6. Mining, caving etc - not really my thing in Elite but fun here esp multicrew ships
  7. FPS in ships, surfaces, bunkers etc

Plenty more needed. Proper persistence. Dynamic economy. No overall objectives. Only a dozen points of interest per planet. AI missing / patchy. There’s still only one system (compare to 400 billion in Elite).

4 Likes

The rule of thumb with Star Citizen is you should only buy it now if you are comfortable with spending money on a game in very active development. As mentioned, the game is horribly buggy right now and while there are nuggets of fun to be had, for sure, you need to have the patience of a saint and a willingness to ask for fixes or workarounds in chat to experience them.

For me, I backed the game literally on day 1 and continue to put a bit more money into its development. But that’s just because I believe in the vision of the game and am willing to take the risk continually funding a project that might never truly come to fruition in the form we desire.

They’re also more open that any developer, probably ever, on the status of the game. This leads to a lot of folks less aware about how software development works to assume that things like dates slipping or bugs creeping in as a sign of the end times. If you fall into this category, backing the game is not for you right now.

4 Likes

Pimax is delivering a hardware product, and meeting specifications. That’s hard.

Would it be that hard for the SC team to dedicate a developer to offering a very basic VR experience? No. They are proud of their desktop product, they don’t want us doing VR right now.

Would it be that hard for the ED team to flip the switch and make PowerPlay open only, or to just give the ships more glass so we can actually see out? No. They are proud of their history, and they want us to live in all the past glory.

That’s the tip of the iceberg, but I’m leaving CIG/FDev alone here.

For the Pimax Vision 8kX though, this means it WILL be the headset of choice for space games that are really worth playing competitively. At the very least, one day, hardware will be fast enough to use SC through VorpX - if indeed SLi does not help in some way since this is a ‘desktop’ app.

In the meantime, I think there may be a few EVE Online players who will use the Pimax Vision 8kX to run a >4*4k VirtualDesktop. :smiley:

1 Like

The real question becomes. When is the real BW as advertised in the kickstarter going to come? Too many early posts of it coming in a near future release; however that one has often said things too soon.

Ie Pimax Controllers look very different from previously shown(puzzlingly looks the same recently as before). Likely to demo iteration at GDC/GTC - never happened.

BW (perceived frame doubling)was a key advertisement of the pimax KS. The KS has a long way to go yet.

ED may need a major rewrite to move forward. Similar to getting programs multi threaded properly.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt for a second how hard it is to produce and deliver cutting edge hardware products as Pimax has done, and they deserve full credit for bringing these to market. My previous ‘complaints’ are about having a poor comfort setup, comms etc to go with it, which sadly undermined the hard engineering-led work that has been done and gave a poor image, which is unfair.

But equally, I wouldn’t underestimate how insanely complex it is to deliver a massive scale, persistent world, with millions of players and objects, and all the billions of interactions that then have to work correctly in every conceivable scenario. It’s an order of magnitude of complexity higher than a single player game, or even your ‘standard’ client-server multiplayer game. Not to mention that the architecture has to be dynamically flexible to cope with traffic peaks and troughs over such colossal areas, whether it’s Elite P2P + matchmaking, or SC’s client-server / SSOCS / server meshing models. With SSOCS for 3.8 they had to replace code from every area of the game. And yes that introduced bugs, but it was a working release and now with far more efficient server-client code, no small task. I don’t see Fdev ever daring to fix Elite at this sort of level any more.

I work in massively scalable architecture for extreme performance demands myself but for broadcasting not gaming. And I can say first hand how complex the systems are there. Take Netflix etc - press the play button and the system instantly just plays a nice HD or 4K stream right? Well, it took about 1000 microservices all kicking in and interacting correctly to deliver that to you.

So it is inevitable these days that things that appear simple on the surface now get taken for granted, while the complexity ‘under the hood’ is mindboggling.

Naturally the 8KX is going to be a headset of choice for many because of both the native spec and the flexibility to run upscaled for higher refresh rate or wireless etc etc. Now that you mention it, @MReis suggested to try SC + VirtualDesktop as a simple solution, while trying to get VorpX + OpenTrack working :+1: And the latter combo works, plenty of YT videos out there. Of course with a 5k+ and not 8KX just yet…

4 Likes

MRTV just received the 8K X!
https://twitter.com/mixedrealityTV/status/1221780829204099073?s=19

Hope he can give us a thorough review now.

8 Likes

There you go, I expected these first 20 units to go to youtubers

4 Likes

I don’t know if this is the case or not, but Sebastian might have been one of the first 20 backers of the 8KX. I think SweViver was backer #3. Regardless, he was a previous beta tester, so I not surprised to see him get one of the first units.

1 Like

It was revealed the 20 units were held back to make some needed improvements.

3 Likes

Brainwarp 2.0 will be in the next Pitool according to @PimaxUSA

1 Like

The answer to this question is simple. If I get it before 2021, it just might be future proof til 2021. Otherwise I hope to god VR catches up. Otherwise I’ll face palm if High FOV isn’t the standard by 2021.

3 Likes

I don’t think other headsets will go to Pimax large fov of 170. Maybe bigger than they have now but not Pimax big. Unless they find a way to do it cheaply but without distortion, eye tracking might be key.

7 Likes

tldr; Its future proof if you’re happy with 75Hz (or whatever they get it to in the end) and no wireless (although the wireless wouldn’t be fixed with a new headset)

For me the 8KX’s future proofness is purely down to what you want from the headset. If you’re desperate for 120Hz (or even 90Hz) then no. Pimax will probably come out with one that can do a higher refresh rate at some point (might require DP2.1 or other technology first).

I don’t believe that higher resolution, above this, is a particular driving force to particularly shorten the life span because the 8KX is already pretty good and its going to be a while before we have graphics cards that could drive something with 4x as many pixels - at least 2 more generations if you want to turn on any of the eye candy.

The other driver might be wireless - currently the 8KX is not expected to be able to do wireless in native mode (only upscale). However, this seems to be a limitation of the wireless technology rather than the headset itself and wouldn’t be helped by a future headset. You never know, though, Pimax have surprised us in the past and maybe a future wireless solution will allow this in the 8KX too.

I suspect that other headsets will probably increase they FOV at some point as Pimel said, but probably the same as Pimax’s small (so they can claim its and improvement over their old ones) and it would be a fixed size, rather than user definable.

4 Likes