Pimax 8KX - How future proof is it?

As the title says… If the 8KX can only do 75 Hz at native resolution due to its DP bandwidth limitations, then it would mean that this HMD will never be able to super sample above native res? That does not sound future proof to me, or am I missing something?

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you be able to supersample above native res? The headset can still only display native Res.

@SweViver can likely speak more on his xp with 8kX

7 Likes

Would’nt 4k x 2 @ 75 Hz already be maxing out the bandwidth of the DP?

From my understanding the output to say a monitor will still be max Native Res. Supersampling/DSR/VSR simply generates a higher res picture & then downsamples to native res to create a better rendered image with things like less Aliasing & at a lower cost than Anti-aliasing

@risa2000 would be a good one to weigh in.

7 Likes

Ah, yes, that makes sense. I thought the full SS picture was sent to the hmd…(as seen in Steamvr, rendered resolution per eye)

3 Likes

Buying Projectors always needed to be mindful of native res vs supported res. Ie 720p native projector supports 4k. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think you are a bit confused. Super sampling is by definition going above native res!

2 Likes

DP 1.4 can provide 32.4Gbs bandwidth maximum.

DP 2.0, released June 2019, can provide 77.4 Gbs (3x 4K/90Hz or 2x 8K/90Hz).

With around a 28 month+ conception to launch window, the inevitable occured to 8K-X due to it being tethered to a single cable philosophy due to understandable reasons.

Usually with computer GPU/screen technology, I find within 3 years (36 months), a cutting edge product is superseded by a superior technology. Case in point the incredible 1080 Ti finally, now looking insufficient when last year it was just still OK vs a 2080 Ti.

Personally I’m not bothered as I’m buying the 8K-X for movies and Plex. Plex also has a VR app to share watching movies together on a huge virtual screen which 8K-X can easily display in the wide 170 FOV setting as it only needs to be low mhz for films.

5 Likes

but it gets scaled down to native before it goes trough the cable, that’s the point i think

3 Likes

Scaling down before going down the cable is what happens in supersampling I think.

Though I agree it is defo a shame the cable doesn’t have more bandwidth to properly unlock the potential of the headset. Say native @ 90hz+

3 Likes

Nvidia’s DSR & Amd’s VSR does the same renders high & downsamples to native output. A display cannot show res higher than Native.

6 Likes

Yeah, exactly Heliosurge.

2 Likes

Supersampling is RENDERING @ a higher resolution. Not displaying.

3 Likes

Sorry Helio. My initial comment wasn’t replying to you, rather to the OP.

I did click to reply to him but sometimes it doesn’t seem to work.

1 Like

Yes it’s still not possible to get 90hz with that res, but i don’t bother i don’t have problems with 72 hz in pitool. with 64hz i start to see flikkering very clearly.
Supersampling can do a lot even at this native resolution, i know from trying the reverb for a week, so if you don’t mind the 75hz it’s futureproof for sure with a new GPU’s.

5 Likes

Yeah, even my 5k+ benefits a lot from supersampling. The upper limit of what you’ll be able to get out of an 8KX is far in the future with much beefier graphics cards than what we have now.

5 Likes

Yeah i use a Lenovo for some month, a cheap solution due to a long RMA of my 8k, there is more room for supersampling and get a great clarity, better then my 8k, but i miss the better Colors and the FOV

4 Likes

To help visualize this a bit better, the steps are:
Render → Transmit → Display

Supersampling occurs during the rendering step. You take more samples (ie pixels) than you plan on transmitting and then scale back down to the transmitted resolution. It doesn’t actually change the transmitted or displayed resolutions but the resulting image tends to look better.

The transmitted resolution and refresh rate are limited by your transmission method. Higher frequencies, longer cables, and wireless cause issues and can be difficult/impossible to fix them without some exotic changes (ie switching to optic cables). There is also the limit imposed by the standards (ie DP 1.4/2.0, etc).

The displayed resolution is always the same (it depends on the panel) and can be either the same as the transmitted resolution (aka native) or can be needs to have a scalar.

6 Likes

As many already mentioned above, supersampling is made during rendering of the game. The signal sent to 8KX and displayed on the panels is still 3840x2160 per eye, so you can supersample as much as you like, no worries.

12 Likes

Well, I am certainly stoked about seeing how things look with 2.0 supersampling in the 8kX, even if I it instantly turns my computer into a smoking pile of ashes. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes