Pimax 8K VR Frequent Asked Questions

Dude. There are HMDs out that alrwady do 60hz. Is gear VR a dumpster fire? Really? Its the most widely sold HMD out right now, and nobody gets sick.

Have you tried one?

Hey with vr 8k refers to panoramic just the sameway starbreezes StarVR is marketed as 5k panoramic vr headset.

So pimax 8k = 8k horizonal x 2160 high
Pimax 5k & starvr = 5k horizontal x 1440 high

Vr headsets should not be compared to traditional displays & yes per eye is better to describe.

1 Like

Yep. 90 is the minimum. I use my vive. Even the new gear vr isn’t using 60. Gearvr is popular proportionally to its price.

The 90hz standard was due to poor resolution & a small number of folks who get vr sick due to framerate. Otherwise psvr would be considered best with 120hz.

I realize its a panoramic description, but its shoddy marketing.

Customers need reasonable expectations. You just know someone is going yo buy this expecting uhd images. What they get needs proper description.

Starbreeze & acer promoted this standard. I personally don’t see an issue.

Now you could call it 4k ultra wide if you prefer as
1440p ultra wide monitor is 3840x1440. So ultra wide 4k might be 7680x2160

Also why consumers need to read. Dynamic contrast vs real contrast

4k panoramic would be better. Definitely.

Like I said, 90hz minimum. Psvr interpolates to 120, not native 120.

You mean 8k panoramic. 4k is only half the width of the 8k model.

I don’t understand why they can’t just uncap the resolution limits for the Kickstarter. Is it because of the local in-hmd processing?

Yeah, I wouldn’t get too caught up in the name. Pimax already explained that it’s 8k wide so they went with that. It’s like everyone wants to call them out to trip them up on false advertisement. It’s not like they’re claiming the conventional 8k aspect ratio in there specs, when really it’s less lines. To me it’s more like the shiny fake food McDonald’s advertises - we all know the deal

Why do they say that tomorrow (Sep19) kickstarter will start? Where is the published information?

about the “DP trouble” I imagine that in the future they will solve it, although in the beginning, we will be rendering with our gpu 5120 x 1440 every single frame, I think it is more than enough workload for a gtx1080. If we want to have 2x 4k we would need a gtx2080 - gtx2080ti or anything that has nvidia now in its labs, not to forget that Steamvr should support that bestial resolution first…

Again the pimax 4k proves the 90hz that lucky & valve promoted was due to the shoddy resolution. It needed higher frames.

Read up on newer vr sickness research. Which suggests resolution is more important vs refresh. @Sjef may have some links

Or TVs making up their own specs for motion interpolation. “Smooth motion”, “motion flow”, “motion rating” instead of just stating “hey the display is 120hz, the image processing does 249 and displays every other frame”.

1 Like

Right, it’s a fine line with false advertising, but if the company is showing the true specs, let them call it what they will. If they say/claim something and then don’t reveal the raw numbers… that’s a different story

I am done talking to people who don’t know what they’re talking about. And don’t tell me to read up, you don’t know what your talking about.

Agreed which is why i pointed out many times with Starbreezes 5k starvr headset of which they claim consumer pc not strong enough to run theirs & currently only available at Imax theaters & possibly conventions.

1 Like

Keep the fact in mind: not everybody owns a computer that can run native 4K. We offer from day one the best option for most people:

Pimax 8K with 1 DP - 4K upscale to 8K resolution, require only 980/1070, standard price, the best option for most people.

Pimax 8K with 2 DP - native 2*4K, requires at least 1080ti, standard price+$XX, the option for only few people.

8K 1DP and 8K 2DP share the same mechanical design, we only need to change the hardware PCB and add one more DP cable. Cables are swappable.

Option 1:
You can upgrade from 1DP to 2DP by yourself.

Option 2:
We send 2DP to you directly on estimated May.

2 Likes

BTW, speaking of motion sickness/resolution: I read an article about a university who overlaid a virtual nose just within your inner peripheral (if that’s what you call it) and did a test with people who get sick. Apparently the nose as a point of reference helped to reduce sickness… kinda interesting.

1 Like

Just stop believing vive/rift misdirections. If 90hz was min we wouldn’t have folks getting sick on rift/vive at 90hz playing games like ED (for example) while being fine for hours playing with pimax 4k at 60hz.

With vr being new what we know for sure, will change.

Low Res needs high frames
Hi res needs less.