Pimax 8K VR Frequent Asked Questions

What to play with Pimax 8K?
Pimax 8K VR is compatible with most of the VR content on the market, including PiHome, Steam VR, Oculus(via a third party tool) In another word, the games you love, e.g. Elite Dangerous, Star Trek Bridge, Project Car, Arizona Sunshine, The Big Screen… are all compatible with Pimax 8K.

What is the FOV of Pimax 8K?
The FOV of Pimax 8K is around horizontally 200 degrees, and vertically 120 degrees, which is close to human version. What is a big FOV VR feels like? you may refer to human eyes experiences.

Why you call Pimax 8K “8K” ?
The traditional definition of “8K” cannot be applied in VR world.
In 2D world, the image you can see is limited in a little 16:9 / 32:9 square in your PC/TV.
In VR, the FOV is expanded, especially horizontally, thus horizontal resolution matters most in VR.
Pimax 8K boosted FOV to 200 degrees horizontally to mimic human eye vision, and we increase the horizontal resolution to 8K, which is very important to maintain a crisp visual with big FOV. That’s why we name the product “8K”.

What is the resolution of Pimax 8K?
The resolution of Pimax 8K is always 8K. You can see totally over 16.6 million pixels at any time. For signal that less than 8K, Pimax can upscale the signal to 8K with a video processing module in the headset.

Why you create 8K VR ?

1. We care about visual quality a lot. Our co-founders have over 20 years R&D experience in display era, including many years in VR. Some of the core team members come from display industry.
  2. All the display vendors are based in Asia, especially East Asia. Our team members maintain a close relationship with the display suppliers. We have the advantage to customize VR display.
  3. We have already eliminated screen door effect with our first generation product Pimax 4K. Pimax 8K is based on the technology of 4K.

What display you use for Pimax 8K/5K?
We use customized low persistence liquid (CLPL) display.
CLPL is a new patented display tech we developed with our partner for VR specifically.
CLPL display featured with less liquid respond time and higher refresh rate. We have completely eliminated ghosting and improved brightness with the CLPL display. CLPL tech is on the same level with OLED in VR era. There are only minor differences in color contrast/temperature between CLPL and OLED. Also, CLPL can reach higher PPI/PPD with the same cost.
Our co-founders have over 20 years experience in display era, including many years in VR. Some of the core team members come from display industry and maintain close relationships with display suppliers. That’s one of the reasons why we care about visual so much.

What is the specification of the 5K version?

Pimax 5K is a lite version of Pimax 8K. The only difference is the resolution. Even though the image quality of Pimax 5K is not as good as Pimax 8K, but better than most of the headsets on the market. Also, the price of Pimax 5K is lower than Pimax 8K.

What is the refresh rate for games with Pimax 8K/5K?
90Hz.

What is Brainwarp?
Brainwarp is a set of technologies Pimax use in the VR headsets to lower down hardware requirement, reduce latency, and boost refresh rate for a smoother VR experience.
In the scenario where you PC can run a game with 60-90 Hz, Pimax VR can increase the frame rate to 90Hz with a technique similar to ATW. In that way, we decrease the requirement of hardware.
However, the better the graphic card, the less work the headset has to do, and the better experience you will enjoy. That’s why we recommend GTX980/1070, equivalents or above for the best 8K experience.
Meanwhile, the headset renders and displays image for the two eyes in a sequence. In that way, we doubled refresh rate and cut the latency in half. You can perceive the experience smoother with largely reduced latency.

What are the differences between Brainwarp and asynchronous reprojection / ATW in Steam VR?
Brainwarp is a set of technologies used specifically in Pimax headsets. Brainwarp includes the VR technologies, including techniques similar to ATW. The goal of Brainwarp is to lower down hardware requirement, reduce latency, and boost refresh rate for a smoother VR experience.

What are the positional tracking solutions?
Pimax 8K supports both outside-in tracking and inside-out tracking solutions. You can switch between different modes.
The outside-in tracking is based on cutting edge laser tracking technology with minimal latency. Pimax offers PiTracking mode and Steam Compatible mode. With Steam COmpatible Mode, you can use all Valve accessories with Pimax 8K. The developing path of PiTracking is more flexible, and Pimax controllers are much lighter than vive controllers.
Pimax 8K enables inside-out tracking with modules.
In addition, we will enable house-scale ( >50 sqm ) tracking with a new module.

What are the extendable modules?
Pimax 8K is an extendable device. You can use it with your current accessories and very easy to compliance new technologies. e.g. MR module, inside-out tracking module, eye tracking module, wireless transmission module, scent enabling module etc.
We will make the modules available in our website and Amazon.
You can even develop your own module with our device driver SDK.

Can I use my vive/steam accessories at home?
Yes. Pimax 8K is compatible with all Valve accessories.

Can I use my current accessories with Pimax 8K?
Pimax 8K is compatible with all your PC accessories and all your steam accessories at home.

Will this allow me to use Steam Knuckles controllers when it somes out?
Yes. Pimax 8K is compatible with all Valve accessories.

Does Pimax 8K support both vive v1 and v2 lighthouses?
Support both.
If you already have vive 1.0 lighthouses at home, we recommend you grab a 8K headset to use with vive 1.0 lighthouses.

What is laser tracking? Is it been integrated with the headset?
Yes. Laser tracker is integrated with the headset.

Why the hand motion module is not included in the packages?
You can always add an extra amount to your pledge and get an additional leap motion module in your package.

What accessories are available, what is the plan for the modules?
You can always add an extra amount to your pledge and get an additional leap motion module in your package.
We will make all the modules and accessories available on our website, including eye tracking, wireless transmission, scent enabling, house-scale tracking module, cooling fan, customized VR frame, single controller, single base station.

Mechanical focus adjustment

You can wear your own glasses, we have enough space reserved for glasses. You may choose to use our customized prescription VR frame. We will make it available on our website.
Note: The major VR brands choose not to make it an option to change focus directly with the headset, but rather suggest users wearing prescription glasses, as it is the best option to prevent dust.

Can I wear my glasses?
Yes, and we also recommend our customized perscription VR frame.

IPD adjuetment

We offer hardware mechanical adjustment.

Ergonomics
We have improved ergonomics design for more comfortable experience. We learnt the lesson from 4K and the space we leave for nose in 8K is similar to that in Oculus.
Pimax 8K looks big but actually very light. We have spread the pressure so it felt even lighter.

Is the face cushion replaceable?
Yes, all the parts that touch your face are lighter, more comfortable and can be easily replaced.

How will Pimax 8K protect my eyes?
We have the second generation eye protection mechanism, which also improved brightness.

When will you ship?
We will ship large volume on Jan. It is possible we ship the first batch on Dec.

What is the difference between Kickstarter version and consumer version?
The look and functions are the same. The consumer version will be better packaged and crafted, and the price would be different.

Can I use laptop to run Pimax 8K?
Yes, Pimax 8K supports VR laptop. In fact, we demo 8K in events with a laptop.

What is the hardware requirement of Pimax 8K?
GPU - GTX980/1070, CPU - i5, Memory - 8GB

5 Likes

If that is the only option, then the 8K is simply more expensive and blurrier or aliased, as compared to the 5K. (Which admittedly makes the pixels harder to make out, so less SDE/pixelation.) Low latency digital upscaling simply cannot recover information from nothing. Is this an initial spec that may change with firmware updates, like how the 1440p mode was added to the 4K model?

2 Likes

1st 2 4k panels is not 8k. 8k is 7680x4320 resolution.

This is a 4k per eye headset.

Why is your recommended hardware spec so low? A gtx 980 will not run this headset well.

Only a few experiences run on my 3gb 1060. Please make the suggested min spec gtx 1070 or higher.

If the HMD only supports 1440p per eye upscaled, that will look like ass spread over 200 degree fov.

YOU NEED TO SUPPORT NATIVE 3840X2160 INPUT AT 60HZ OR THIS HMD WILL FAIL.

THIS IS A VERY PISS POOR WAY TO INFORM US OF WHAT THE SPECS REALLY ARE.

1 Like

@VRGIMP27

In 2D world, the image you can see is limited in a little 16:9 / 32:9 square in your PC/TV.
In VR, the FOV is expanded, especially horizontally, thus horizontal resolution matters most in VR.
Pimax 8K boosted FOV to 200 degrees horizontally to mimic human eye vision, and we increase the horizontal resolution to 8K, which is very important to maintain a crisp visual with big FOV. That’s why we name the product “8K”.

What is the input of Pimax 8K
25601440 per eye, upscale to 38402160 per eye.

We do plan to offer a 2 DP version with 8K input, but very few people can run it, it requires min 1080ti, it costs much more, and ship later.

2 Likes

So the pimax 8k DOES use the NEW lighthouse sensora?

@deletedpimaxrep1
Thank you for taking the time answering important questions about your products.
Regarding the 2 DP model…can you estimate how much more expensive this unit would be compared to standard version (for expl.: standard + 100$) ?
Also when do you plan to release it.
A really cool option would be to make the display board + dp connectors swappable so we can upgrade in the future!

1 Like

What @deletedpimaxrep1 should mention to make people feel better about the native resolution thing here is with FOVEATED RENDERING, you won’t need two display port connections, and getting 4k signal to where your looking is just a software update.

Also until foveated rendering, keep in mind-TWO HUNDRED DEGREE FIELD OF VIEW! No screen door effect!!!

1 Like

It’s not going to fail. It will support native 4k with foveated rendering. And you don’t WANT vr at 60, don’t be a noob. And be respectful because we’re lucky to have a vr headset that even does what this is offering. Your allowed to voice your opinion, Be have some class throwing out how you think a company will succeed or not like it’s truth. Use a sentence like, “I think the company may not do as well long term, without this certain specification.”

1 Like

Forget about forveated rendering until 2019. No games will support it soon

2 Likes

My point was that 8k is an inaccurate way to market this headset. Its not 8k resolutuon. Its 2.5k native input per eye now apparently even on the 4k panels?

What do you mean the 8k with displayport will come later??? YOU SHOULD HAVE MADE THIS CLEAR FROM THE START!

Does the kickstarter unit have A displayport connector right now or not? If it only has hdmi right now, most video cards dont have more than 1 hdmi connector, so the hmd wont run on most cards without an adapter.

God damnit. Just when I was getting excited about backing your unit you come out all sneaky like with the “true specs” of your current unit, completely different from what you have been saying.

If its only got hdmi and only supports 1440p per eye on KS launch, this is not what you have been telling people about for months at all!

Yes or no concerning native 4k input signal suport on the kickstarter unit at launch? Im not asking about upscaling, interpolation, or color cimpression.

Will the kickstarter headset support native 4k per eye from a 1080 ti when I get one in my hands on day 1?

YES OR NO! ???

Pimax 8K do have DP1.4, as we listed in the spec.

Pimax 8K supports 8K resolution / 16.6 million pixels at any given time.

and we are considering offer native 4K input option, but it requires 1080ti.

3 Likes

If the kickstarter model won’t have a DP connection with native 4k resolution support then that is a huge disappointment. (2) hdmi connections won’t work on most video cards as pointed out by VRGIMP27. That news really puts a damper on the kickstarter for me.

edit: just saw your reply to the DP connection issue and that is a great relief to hear. The native 4K issue isn’t as big of deal for me as the need for 2 hdmi connections would have been. Thanks for the reassurance.

edit 2: and I have a 1080ti so feel free to offer up that native 4K version! LOL

and we are considering offer native 4K input option, but it requires 1080ti.

So, right now today 4k input IS NOT SUPPORTED. Only 1440p native input upscaled to 4k is supported. JUST SAY THAT. QUIT PEDDLUNG THE THING AS IF IT HAS SPECS THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE.

You dont need to keep repeating the second paragraph. 4k per eye is 16.7 million pixels true 8k is 32 million pixels.

1 Like

no need to be aggressive tho.

Nah. Dropping the ‘no 4k input supported’ bomb just one day before the kickstarter … Of course people are going to be pissed. What a FAIL. I’ve been really looking forward to the 8k ,but now i’m not even going to buy it.

3 Likes

We promote 8K 2x3840*2160 as the very beginning though.

and we offer the option of native 4K. but it requests 1080ti.

Ive been a VR enthusiest since the 1990s dude, im not a noob by any means. 60hz witha low persistence display is fine. 60hz low persistence is exactly what the Gear VR uses, and thats a great hmd.

If they had eye tracking integrated already with a 500hz refresh rate, i wouldnt be worried about it.

Foveated rendering requires SDK and game level implementation. Foveated rendering is not an end all plug and play solution yet. There is a reason that only one HMD manufacturer (Fove) uses eye tracking right now. Not even Sensics does eye tracking on a massive scale.

Yeah may 2018. And who knows if it will even become a reality. And why 2 DP cables … I don’t get it. DP 1.4 supports 4k up to 240hz, so that’s even MORE bandwidth than you need: DisplayPort - Wikipedia

Just use 1 DP 1.4 connector, send 4k @ 180 hz to the HMD and then split that over the 2 panels. I’m not sure why you’re even talking about 2 connectors, nor why you’re talking about a special ‘x’ version.

i’m sorry to admit that “Public relations wise” they’re not very good.
You should be clear and direct. No playing around with words. Easy and simple.

Today we offer this: …
Tomorrow (date) we’ll offer this: …

Even if the product can’t make everyone happy you need to be clear, like oculus said “the rift is going to be 2160x1200” but we all wanted at least QHD. Were we happy? No. We managed. But they didn’t talk half way.

1 Like

“Pimax 8k, the headset that’s not really 8k and doesn’t support higher inputs than 1440p”.

Sigh …

1 Like