Pimax 8K VR Frequent Asked Questions

@deletedpimaxrep1 I would say as long as you put out a disclaimer that native 4k per eye requires a top of the line gpu, let people have the option. You want people to know that the hmd is capable of native res.

IMO you should not make a different version and different price. You should fix the problem, even postpone deliveries if necessary, but sell only one version with full 8K (8Kx4K) native resolution. If not, I think you will lose a lot of supporters.

Foveated rendering is unnecessary when we have lens matched shading and vr works already. We can already push high AA in the center of the lens.

There is one, and we already found it. In fact Pimax has been talking to this company for a long time, it’s ultralow latency DSC (de)compression on a chip. At some point in time pimax wanted to add it as an add-on for the 4k, an external box between the PC and the headset to compress in realtime so the 4k could support native 4k.

1 Like

Throws on tin-foil hat:

What if the 5K is nothing more than the Pimax BE edition displays?

What if the custom displays for the 8K they’ve been talking so much about is nothing more than a clone of what’s already in the Pimax 4K with slightly reduced ghosting.

"Shudders"

Ok so let’s say that we really would need 2 DP ports (I don’t see why but ok). Then why wait till May 2018 !?!?! And why add $300 to the price, just for an extra DP port !?! It all makes no sense to me at all.

1 Like

Well if you say that there is a suitable dsc decoder, than none of this makes sense at all. Neither the second DP, the longer waiting time or the higher price.

1 Like

Hmmm actually … I just read back to that specific discussion and I think that specific DSC encoder/decoder only goes up to 60 hz: http://www.analogix.com/en/products/dp-mipi-converters/anx7533

So yeah IF the display panel itself wouldn’t support DSC, then I guess you’d really need 2 DP ports … But again, why wait till may 2018 and why add $300 to the price, that still doesn’t make sense.

Im sickened that we’ve gone from excited and optimistic to wondering wtf is real in terms of specs in the matter of 1 evening.

Well if DSC is really the problem, they should ship every unit with 2 DP1.4 connectors. That way they would not need DSC at all and thus the visual quality would be even better. Users could decide if they want to use 2 cables at native resolution are one cable at lower resolution or lower framerate. Price would increase of course but only slightly.
I could imagine this would also delay the whole thing a bit. But more like 2-3 months, not 5 months.

3 Likes

approved for me. this is their best option

This is what any normal thinking company would do.

i guess it’s too late now :confused:

Why not just run the damn thing at 60hz if the panel is low persistence and has displayport. Even dp 1.2 suports 4k 60hz. This is unbelievable.

Hehe this really is Pimax at its ‘best’. Users have been asking for native resolution since day 1 of the Pimax 4k … and then they release the 8k AGAIN without native resolution. LOL. It’s ALMOST funny. Does anybody know of a company who listens any WORSE to their customers ? I have a hard time finding one.

Then again, most VR companies don’t really listen to their customers I guess. The whole reason where even interested in Pimax is that the big guys are even worse.

Man, what a bummer …

well, the others are not even close to the 4k yet…

Looks like another damp squib from Pimax. :unamused:

I wish they had been clear from the start on what they were offering.

1 Like

Bc 60hz at low persistence doesn’t work with the human eye. 90 is literally the bare minimum.

You are wrong.

Gear VR runs at 60hz in low persistence mode. Its a fine hmd. Thousands of people own one, myself included. 90hz low persistence is just a safety precaution for people who dont have their vr legs. 60hz doesnt pose any problems. DK1 was 60hz full persistence, it was also used by tons of people.

60hz vr is a visual dumpster fire. 90hz standard is there for a reason.

1 Like