Pimax 8K & 5K+ Performance Boost & Improved rendering with new update!

Only he can answer but I think he noticed. After all, in the previous version he was going with steam on 50%, and on this new version he was using steam on 100% and said that now you can’t go below 80% (before it was ~40%).

The important fact is that on acceptable image quality he was getting better FPS. All the rest is really just technical details. Even if it was rendered on lower resolution, he was still getting better image quality than before (on Pitool 1x with 8k) together with better performance - and that is what really matters. So at the end it is about whether you trust him or not on this :-).

Also I checked the long review, he mentions that Pitool is almost always at 1.0 and Steam on 50% and reported resolution there is 3404x1808 (time 2:01:24) large FoV. The new tests with Pitool 1.0 and Steam on 100% show 2903x2557, now Normal FOV. So the new tests are actually on higher resolution, which would explain why it looks better. What is surprising is the performance boost.

3 Likes

Just FYI In English you would normally use “Opaque” rather than intransparent. But yes I agree it could certainly be explained better.

I just tried Skyrim… dynamic resolution deactivated of course.
With Pitool 74 I had around 70 FPS average at a resolution of 2668x2418…

Now with PiTool 76 I have around 80 FPS with a higher resolution of 2903x2557.

If you benchmark this, that would be awesome and a big performance boost…

BUT… the image of the new “higher resolution” looks MUCH worse than with the old PiTool on lower resolution! How is this possible?

11 Likes

I can only assume they are playing with the actual rendered area (outside the lenses). The resolution may have gotten bigger because they have padded the top and bottom with black space which is not actually rendered but helps the scaler.

What SS and Pitool render settings are those?

1.0 and 100% now with 2903x2557

I am afraid that only Pimax can really explain that. How exactly are the SteamVR rendered resolution, supersampling and PiTool “rendering quality” working together.

So it looks better on project cars and Il2 for sweviver with the new pitool at those exact settings and worse in skyrim for you? Lol, well if nothing else we know there is clearly something screwy going on software wise. I assume skyrim doesn’t force the render resolution to 1080p or anything like that the way some games do, Maybe there is some kind of interaction there?

The fact that the horizontal/vertical ratio has changed between updates I find very interesting.

I have absolutely no idea, Pimax should explain this. I can only tell you what I see :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, do the two look exactly the same in skyrim if you boost the render target till you get about the same performance as the old version (70fps or so)?

3 Likes

can you define how it looks worse? and what headset

edit

can you drop steam to 80, and pitool to 1.25 and hen 1.5 and report back on fps and image quality, and compare the image you get for a similar fps to before rather than 10 improvement? i think you have to approach benching from a blank slate.

On my side it looks definitely better at Pitool 1.0 now on both 5K+ and 8K but especially on 8K.

This is really weird @VoodooDE :joy:

9 Likes

Maybe it is possible that a miss-match in the ratio’s of input resolutions some how throws things off when it renders to the headset?

base resolution = 2650 x 1440

2650 x 1440 * 1.5 = 3975 x 2160 = looks good

2903 x 2557 higher resolution but a weird aspect ratio = bad picture

I don’t really know I am just hypothesizing at this point. Has Pimax reached out to Valve?

2 Likes

in skyrim. pix please. commence tester battle. XD

1 Like

They didn’t explain it during the beta phase and they wont do it now. Seems to be company secret… nothing we can do but guess. But I see what I see and Im very picky about quality especially sharpness and clarity…

Skyrim is a very bad example to test image quality. AA needs to be turned off, in game SS needs to be on max, no dynamic resolution and unless you go PiTool 1.75 yes u will see some jaggies because without AA the game is very shimmery on far distancr no matter how high resolution you put.

1 Like

How would you compare what you see on 8k now to on the previous pitool? Say new pitool at 1.0 and SS at 100% is slightly/much better or worse than old pitool at 1.5 and SS at 50-100%? We know 1.0 looks better than old 1.0 to you but does it look as good as old 1.5?

Only way to correct this is another party test it.

Ok, pimax, you know my address, send me both the 8k and 5k+ and i will settle this :innocent:

3 Likes

The legendary battle between @SweViver and @VoodooDE. Many will remember this day. Just add benchmarks! :smile:

1 Like

The new PiTool has increased the image quality on the 8K, there is no doubt. I could never use 8K with 1.0 and 100% before because of jaginess. Now its improved. Im not changing my statement from yestersay. Theres is nothing that will. I see what I see and I see it DAILY for almost 4 months now.

If someone has a different opinion then Im sorry i cant help you, but I wouldn’t spend 10+ hours on a video yesterday if I wasnt sure.

8 Likes