Pimax 8K & 5K+ Performance Boost & Improved rendering with new update!

Don’t get me wrong- I don’t think you’re wrong at all. I would just encourage you to shift your expectations here, because of the dynamic between the various parties- Pimax, a handful of independent contractors, and us the backers. I think to set up any kind of real testing protocol, it would have had to be agreed upon quite some time ago.

Sounds like you are entangling your own pride in your professional domain here. It’s great that you have pride in your work, but starting your assertions about how other people should operate from this point is also not going to go far.

I only say this to offer some relief from the frustrations. We are basically day four here. I think a lot of us are pretty frustrated.

Yeah, I think Pimax has earned the right to not be accused of “scamming” anyone

8 Likes

i edited my post,it was the wrong word choice…

2 Likes

Guys I dont think this is scam, really, you should not use this word only because a “little” chaos in a new PiTool version…

Fact is that I got the following resolutions:

PiTool 74:
Rendering Quality 1.0
Steam manual override 60%
Resolution 2668x2418

PiTool 76:
Rendering Quality 1.0
Steam manual override 60%
Resolution 2249x1981

Its very hard to see a difference in image quality between 2249x1981 and 2668x2418.

The pictures I showed you were made through the lens with my camera and I’m pretty sure they look equal, the difference is only because my camera didnt focus well. Hard to capture…

15 Likes

With all that amazing stuff and loads of BS on youtube I did a quick search if there are any tutorials on how to benchmark your games to get the smoothest experience. Lots of hits on bechmarking but to my surprise none which an approach to a certain method. Optimization guides for certain games including how tos but nothing in general.

Which makes me wonder why people are just in for the numbers?? I heard plp saying "Hey my PC is so fast, it does 124 FPS on xy game… what is it good for if you’re on a 60Hz monitor??

If you’re on a 60 Hz monitor and have spare performance although having max Res and max ingame settings use downsampling to achieve a better AA until you go below 60 fps.

Then the results will be comparable on any device on any softare, I think it is simple logic.

1 Like
3 Likes

So… sweviver was wrong about the performance boost on the 8k?
Only the res was lower and he didnt notice?!
Cant believe. I am confused

1 Like

On other headsets il-2 is limited by the CPU, not the GPU, so I wouldn’t be surprised. In any case, the FPS is already close to 80, the max for the 8k. At first it seems there’s room to crank up quality, but the quick flight scenario is also very light. Worse case is usually low alt flight on Kuban, with lots of AIs.

I saw this in your video but what I am interested in is if there is a performance improvement in the HMDs as a result of running them with different settings than what was used before.

The older screen for ED was 49.3 avg fps with PT = 1.0 and SVR = .6 at Normal FOV
What would you get now in ED for avg fps with PiTool = 1.0, SteamVR = 1.0. at Normal FOV?

1 Like

From what I can gather here, nothing has been updated to actually make the scaler clearer on the 8k. There’s simply been a resolution adjustment in the new PiTool.

2 Likes

I think the same, but I’m definitely not sure.

2 Likes

So how comes sweviver felt it was a better quality picture? I’m confused.

Are we sure that these are the actual resolution changes or just changes to how Pitool talks to steam? Since Pitool itself doesn’t report a resolution values.

Seems those are two independent issues. I get the sense Pimax is trying to dial in the resolutions that play best with the scaler. But then there may be firmware changes that will actually improve the scaler? And then of course do you essentially need to re-bias those tunes to PiTool?

No I’m not sure, but thats why Pimax should explain detailed how the PiTool works together with SteamVR, for now its pretty intransparent for me and for many other people.

5 Likes

There are a number of variables on the table, and I wonder how far you need to go to equalize them across the testers.

CPU bottlenecking? Mobo BIOS version?
GPU model and bios/FW revision?
nVidia driver version?

Different testers, different rigs, different eyeballs. I think the closer the results appear, the more in the weeds we can find ourselves trying to quantify it. Pimax has really forced us into solely relying on an empirical testing setup. Hopefully more software revisions will keep pushing this process from behind.

@VoodooDE quick question- how long did you guys wait for v74 to v76? What about before V74?

1 Like

in original testing, to get an image of the quality of the 5kplus, the 8k had to render at a higher supersample setting.

Now both the 5k and 8k produce a better image at a same lower supersample setting

3 Likes

“better performance” aka “more frames without loss in visual fidelity”.
VoodooDE, dont get hung up on the resolution this early in developement, especialy on the 8k they will probably tweak things for month to come.

1 Like

Maybe he wants to do a fair benchmark so as to measure and confirm that performance and quality really have improved? I really do hope they have, and it’s not just the sliders being messed with without real optimisation.

1 Like

Voodoo said the performance is higher because the resolution is lower, what do you think?

3 Likes