Pimax 8K & 5K+ Performance Boost & Improved rendering with new update!

New PiTool *.76 update takes some big steps in terms of performance and rendering!
Hope you will find it interesting guys :slight_smile:

Much love!
/Martin

53 Likes

First post! Watching now, please tell me I am not going to be left hanging dry with these latest 20 series benchmarks

2 Likes

Sooooo… back to the 8K? :)))

9 Likes

so whats the best now @SweViver weviver? the 5k plus or the 8K?

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the new informative video. Even if lens shots have their limits, but could you make some for comparison to before (8k-backer)? That would be great!

1 Like

Thanks SweViver, great news, hope is not lost for the 8K.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. Sounds like the 8K has improved enough to get closer to the image quality of the 5k when both are using the same Pi-Tool settings. That is great news and definitely makes one feel like there can be even further improvements for the 8k. Dang, this makes me want to consider switching back to 8k now…since I could get a similar picture quality with the same and even better framerates on the 8k in combination with the better SDE. I really like watching movies also and know that the 8k was better for that anyway…Got some thinking to do now…

6 Likes

I love playing on both :wink: But yeah 5K+ has the edge!

5K+ is my winner so far!

I promise I will, but I want to make it better than last time… i might need a better camera but Im working on it! Crossing fingers…

Definitely not! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

@SweViver for someone who would do 50% movie watching and 50% game playing would still recommend the 5K+ over the 8k after this new update?

2 Likes

Thank you again for all the work you put in doing all these tests martin.
This news makes me very happy :grinning:
Hopefully with a few more optimisation updates, pimax can get most if not all our current games running acceptably on the 1080ti.

2 Likes

75+Hz on normal FoV is pretty acceptable, is this still not to your liking?

1 Like

Huh? Who said anything about not to my liking?
Maybe re-read what I wrote

2 Likes

You stating that with more work it will later be acceptable?

1 Like

No. That’s not what I wrote is it…
I wrote how the news of this game running with this fps is good & makes me happy, as this is one of the games the headsets struggled with.
To be clear for you.
There is a list of games which were previously running very low fps.
Hopefully most or all will run better now or in future updates.
I’m happy.
This is good.

3 Likes

@SweViver

Please please sir, I know you are incredibly busy, but can you please report on how the PiTool 76 might help rFactor2. It had pretty bad FPS, similar to PC2. But PC2 is seeing a huge improvement and I’m hoping rF2 will see the same.

Maybe try again at Silverstone with 8 or 10 AI and shadows on low (they kill the FPS!).

I’d be forever grateful!

4 Likes

Damn it. I was so sure I was going to switch to the 5k after seeing all the reviews, but now I’m not so certain. If the image quality can improve on the 8k and get really close to what the 5k has, I’d rather stick with the 8k. I’m really surprised @SweViver , that you still prefer the 5k even though you said the 8k has better colors,brightness,SDE and now apparently performance. Is the difference in sharpness really that small now if you still prefer the 5k?

4 Likes

Sweviver, can you post an image of the optometrist letters charge compare 8K to the 5K using Pitool 76? Or just pictures that involve words, sentences…i want to see how readable is 8K this time around. You can check for yourself by going to Steam home page and start browsing and reading.

6 Likes

@SweViver would you say that if new image sharpening was added to 8k as suggested by Neal white. Would you put the 8k above the 5k+?

2 Likes

Hey @SweViver, sorry to bug you I know you are getting a lot of questions as a tester.

With the latest update it looks like the performance(FPS) of the 5k+ has gone down a bit and almost has the same if not worse performance than the 8k. Has the quality of the image for the 5k+ increased along with the increased demand? Or is it the same since the last time you tested?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Marcin. Would it be possible for you to try hellblade on the 5k+again but this time reduce the fov to small and decrease the ss in increments until the game is totally playable? I ask as I am an 8k backer who is swapping for the 5k+ and would like to play it on my pimax as I don’t own vive lighthouses or controllers…so really don’t want to wait until next year…thanks​

3 Likes