Pimax 8K & 5K+ Performance Boost & Improved rendering with new update!

Rewatch. Frames are more even if I am not mistaken. The 8k is performing better than it was in quality & fps compared to previous pitool.

Probably more useable now on the 1080ti but I think anything less is still 5k+ territory. Iā€™m not sure now either. Hmm I think itā€™s going to be ok either way and will mainly depend on your usage. Iā€™m racing games and the occasional flight sim so the extra fps from the 5k+ is still a benefit I believe. Happy to be told otherwise though. Meh

1 Like

look at the latest video on youtube from voodoo he did a find something intresesting

2 Likes

The question is, if the image quality is really the same as @VoodooDE claims in the video, or if the eventual degradation is just hard to spot. From the photos he used in the vid, it is really hard to tell.

If the quality in new PiTool is really the same as the quality in the old one, then I agree it is a mess, but it does not have to be a scam. I can imagine scenario, where Pimax ā€œoptimizedā€ the panel usage, and so was able to reduce the rendering resolution, while preserving the visual quality.

4 Likes

Yeah butā€¦ Sweviver mentioned that taking the new pitool below steam as 100% was now a bad idea and in the above video he seems to have it at 60%ā€¦

3 Likes

How come decreasing Steam supersampling below 100% now would be a bad idea? Surely this makes the 5K+ more difficult to run at default settings than the 8K now thenā€¦

I love the Muttley laughs. Even though I cannot understand a word he said. I kind of got the essence of what he was saying.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2330436f6a697bc75e58d76fc7bba15c/tenor.gif?itemid=3611770

4 Likes

No idea what changed. But as far as I understood from swevivers video. Pitool 1.0 and SS 100% performs and looks better than old pitool 1.5 and SS 50%. New pitool 1.5 and SS 100% looks better still but is slightly worse performance than old pitool 1.5 and SS 50%.

Is that accurate @SweViver?

3 Likes

The reviewer is annoyed because he must have only take screenshots and photos at his reference point,.so is having a hard time comparing and benchmarking. (Since Pimax adjustments have skewed the values and resolutions and makes it hard to compare)

Not sure if he has a decent gpu or notā€¦so will be interesting to see if performance for him improves at around the similar resolution points that he tests at in future

1 Like

I am sure he will, but my guess is DCS is a bit thirstier than IL2.

1 Like

Ahh, must admit my German isā€¦non existent. Given how vague and variable between updates the pitool/SS interaction is though I feel for the reviewers.

you basically need a table of all the possible settings and go through the whole set every software change. Not trivial.

SweViver demonstrated PiTool v76 makes the 8K run at higher frame rates, smoother and with better clarity at a lower Pitool setting (1.0) and higher SteamVR setting (1.0) than his previous review. Voodoo just showed resolution from new setting against old info and never demonstrated them in game.

1 Like

Everytime i hear Voodoo speaking German i can only hear HEAVY GERMAN NOISES :joy:

So glad he tested Elite ! Thanks !

2 Likes

I would not look boring but we 4kā€™s owners already know these settings.
Default panel settings for:
4k) SteamVr at 100% and piplay at 1.5;
5k) SteamVr at 100% and piplay at 1.0;
8k) SteamVr at 100% and piplay at 1.5;

5k is 1.0 because it has the native resolution (8kx will be the same)

All variants with the steamVr from 0 to 50% suck, from 51% to infinity improve clarity but worsen performance.
Piplay below 1.00 (1.5 for 8k) decreases the perceived resolution, beyond this value increases the perceived resolution but worsen performance.

2 Likes

Interesting that the performance of the 5k+ dropped. Seems like they should roll the 5k settings back to what they were in the previous build and have the 8k stay as they are. As long as this is possible and all they changed was the default render resolution of the two.

the best possible setting is to find the best resolution (piplay) so as not to fall below 50% in steamvr (recommended value)

Ah but NVIDIA Turing variable-rate shading could beā€¦
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/9g0ppv/interesting_new_features_on_the_turing/

ā€œThe fun part of variable rate shading, is that it looks extremely easy to implement for VR. So easy, in fact, that it could be a driver toggle that automatically works for all vr gamesā€

2 Likes

Can someone please clearly address what is said in this video? The auto-translate on this one is total garbage.

And seriously- if people start throwing the ā€œscamā€ word around again at this point, Imma lose my goddamn mind. This forum is a big enough shitshow as it is. PLEASE anyone speaking German- just give us a reasonable TL;DW on this, ya?

5 Likes

I am afraid you donā€™t miss too much on this particluar 10 minute clip of Thomas. He starts off with the picture comparison, which in my view suggests that the old PiTool version produces a better picture (look at the word Established) while saying that it is absolutely the same to him, ā€œCan you see any difference ? I canā€™t !ā€. And then he actually adresses exactly that section where I thought it looks worse now in v.76 and says that blur is likely from holding the camera a bit differently - cool, so forget about your impressions from the lens-shots, they rae random quality. Bottom-line seems to be that he when wearing the headset could not see any significant differences between the PiTool versions.

The remainder of the video is him ranting about the differing resolutions and that he cannot get it to fit exactly the values of his previous benchmark resolutios. Not very helpful, because there may be good reasons for Pimax to play around with the resolution (which resolution will bring the best efficiency between render load and quality improvement with the upscaler & lenses involved? Try & error, isnā€™t it).
And the main point for all of us is - okay, so if you can get away with only using 3/4 of the previous resolution and get the same picture quality, wouldnā€™t that mean that we get more FPS and maintain the same quality ? He is aggravated because he dislikes the benchmarks to not be fair this way - I donā€™t give a shite about being fair, I just want Pimax to use every dirty work-around at their disposal to get me the best picture with a reasonable framerate, and if my PC feels utterly abused by how they achieved it and sulks in the corner of the room for the rest of the night, I couldnā€™t care less. Foveated rendering will also be utterly unfair - the resolution outside the fovea will be appaling and a disgrace, and still all of us want it today rather than in 2020 - because it doesnā€™t matter.

19 Likes

That helps. I donā€™t feel any better :slight_smile: But that helps. Thanks :+1:

1 Like