Pimax 8K & 5K+ Performance Boost & Improved rendering with new update!

@SweViver thx a lot for a benchmark approach like that! Now aiming for each devices max Hz it makes them better comparable I think. Ok, the question of deciding got a lil more tricky though :slight_smile: you say for movies 8k is still king.
If you decide out of your guts, how much better is the 8k better for movies than in 5k+ in %?

1 Like

I guess that while the 8K is catching up a bit, the 5K+ still has a substantial edge in clarity, while most of the advantages of the 8K are rather minimal, not substantial. The SDE and future potential would be the two which should be considered more substantial, but with the latter it is just a guess if it materializes in the coming two years or not.

And the 5K+ decrease in performance with PiTool V.76 probably is just a hick-up and should be corrected in one of the next updates.

2 Likes

Unfortunately probably not as @Pumcy was using a 980ti & it choked badly. Causing him to get a loaner 1070. However the FoV options were not there. He might be able to revisit this.

I think part of tge issue stems from the dp1.2.

1 Like

@SweViver Please test Xplane again and AGAIN when you get your 2080Ti.
I need Xplane on pimax! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@SweViver

GPU usage is well bellow 100%(~60% avg), signaling there is still room for improvement?
Or because of high resolution card is hitting memory BW limits, rather than computing limits.

1 Like

Respectfully, I disagree. I am putting more faith in it that you would. On anything that supports it it literally is a magic performance enhancer, certainly in vr.

You are right, in that vr games tend to use simpler AA. And then people still have to super-sample them up the wazoo in steam to improve the image quality. We are supersampling up the wazoo in pitool and steam vr. Supersampling (spatial anti aliasing ) is gpu intensive anti aliasing.

If having this kind of AI super sampling replaces both simple in game AA, and super sampling in steam vr / pitool, then its going to have a radical performance improvement in any game that uses it. And great emphasis is being placed on how easy it is for companies to implement it. Its running a game at pitool 1.0 and steam ss 1.0 and no other AA cost in the game bar this and getting an image that looks like its been supersampled up the wazoo.

I will take it.

This makes it sound like games need to be coded from the ground up to support this. But this is not the case, and nvidia is doing everything to make implement it as easy as possible. from their faq here

Question: Can you walk us through how DLSS will be worked into the developer’s workflow?

Answer: DLSS is a post-processing effect that can be integrated into any modern engine. It doesn’t require any art or content changes and should function well in titles that support Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA).

this is why existing games are able to add it, like pub g and hellblade.

Incidentally, hellblade is a test case of huge importance , because hopefully training the AI for the main game means it will work for vr version and can be benched by sweviver once implemented.

1 Like

Or because he’s recording the video.

1 Like

Actually, DLSS, as I understood it, must:

1. Have support built into the game (which means, it is not something just turned on in the driver).
  2. Get specific “profile” i.e. machine-learned data from Nvidia (who will “profile” the game).

In other words, Nvidia first needs to run the game in “truth” mode, which probably means some insane resolution to get the profile. Then sent the profile to the devs, who then put it into the game. The game then, when running the DLSS algo, uses the profile and some smart look-up (read A.I.) to “fake” the higher res.

It seems to be quite convoluted method and I wonder, how many games will adopt that.

1 Like

It does not have to be coded from ground up, in fact, adding it should be rather transparent for the devs, but it still needs changing the game code (for at least enabling this feature) and then running the whole loop with Nvidia, for profiling the game (as I pointed in my post earlier).

The last part is what makes its use a bit clunky.

@SweViver Thanks once more (how many times will i thank you ?! ;))

did you receive your 2080ti yet ? I didn’t get mine (in France) despite having preordered it last month :frowning:

Anyway, i’m eagerly waiting for your review of the 5K+ and 8K running with this new toy, and looking forward to your answer to this question : with 2080Ti : 5K+ or 8K ?

Cheers !

Kenshoo

2 Likes

Except Sweviver isn’t using phrases like “substantial edge in clarity”. He is using more modest terms to the point he is saying it’s close but the 5K+ still has an edge. Enough it seems that he still favours it. But there is possibly personal bias as well plus (as already mentioned) it’s easy for him to say with two pledges under his belt.

I think the takeaway here is, if the 8K can be improved already despite Xunshu claiming they had reached a peak already, then who knows what will happen in the future. 8K could be improved further.

Therefore it is probably wise to stick with the 8K due to the other advantages it has over the 5K+. Remember, the 8K is the flagship product for Pimax not the 5K+.

3 Likes

Sounds good enough to me to stick to the 8K for now, will wait for the updated through the lens pics.
I am backer 3XXX anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah same same, after all I backed up Pimax 8k 200fov headset with sde totally eliminated full package.

1 Like

Sweviver When do you get your 2080 ?
we need to know what the 8k can look like with maximum grunt

1 Like

Well I think there being cautious with saying whether the 8k can be fixed as it’s possible but may hit a ceiling in how far they can improve it. With the unknown factor as to when & how much.

The 4k they had intentions of unlocking 4k 60hz compressed to 30hz but found out that part of the issue in doing so flopped as neither graphics cards supported the compression needed. That was supported in Arm Gpus. Plus I imagine other factors in the hardware.

Why conservatively best to play it safe with saying things folks will see as promises that may not be able to be fulfilled.

But recent news does look promising & as you say perceptual bias will play a role as it does in art.

2 Likes

What I think this really shows is that there’s still plenty of scope for software improvements. I like that pimax have already done several optimisations already and probably plenty more to come as they understand their product more and more. Great stuff to come yet.

1 Like

Whoopie, back in the 8K camp…For now.

5 Likes

just when i think i know which way i am going they throw me back into disarray.

5 Likes

I reccommend downloading latest vr rollercoaster. :laughing:

4 Likes

I don’t see anywhere where he says performance got better. It seems like the ability to mediate performance got worse because steamvr ss affects visual quality a whole lot more.