Pimax 5k+ received! Early experience (Spamenigma)

@SweViver Do you think he need to downgrade the firmware? I am not sure and I have to get some sleep as it’s near 1am and I have one keynote speech to make tomorrow.

1 Like

I’ve just upgraded back to .84 and its detected fine, so trying another downgrade.

2 Likes

Grats on getting your 5K+, I assumed you’re the first UK backer getting the hmd? How long that you have to wait for it to arrive from the time you got your shipping number?

Iirc @sweviver said that .84 also updated the hmd firmware, maybe there some way to factory reset the hmd to the original firmware, if not maybe you’re stuck with .84 and it won’t work without it, hopefully @sweviver can explain a bit more about how he downgraded.

1 Like

I did not downgrade firmware, just switched back to PiTool 76. First I played around with 84 on 5K+ and 8K, then switched back to 76 and both headsets were running fine…?

1 Like

Thanks! There might be one or two others received them today in the UK. Its taken 11 days from receiving initial notification of shipping.

1 Like

I think you might stick with .84 for now if .76 still does not work. And you can try Pitool renderer 1.0 and SteamVR 0.4-1.0 to get some feel. @spamenigma

1 Like

Yes you can downgrade firmware. I did that a few times during m1 beta. It takes a few minutes. Im not sure if Im allowed to share the information though, I need to check with Pimax team first…

1 Like

Yeah sure. I just feel SteamVR value downgrades the image more than ever since PiTool 76. It was never a problem running PiTool 1.75 and SteamVR 50% before the PiTool 76, that was actually my preferred settings. But something has apparently changed and now I feel it doesnt look good below SteamVR SS 80 or 70%. Have you noticed it @yanfeng?

1 Like

@SweViver @yanfeng Yes done the process again and so far getting the same problem (disconnected) on PiTool .76

I’m guessing its the firmware but interesting its not occurring for SweViver.

1 Like

Hmm very strange. You are using 5K+ right?
Ive never seen this so I dont know, but maybe try unplugging the DPI and USB + power and replug everything? :frowning:

It should NOT be the firmware as my 5K+ has new firmware but I use PiTool 76 again (did it all morning)

Btw is the power light red or green?

1 Like

Yes 5K+, I’ll keep trying. I do notice my main display flashes a lot and things stall for a moment when I went to . 76 so this is certainly looking like video connection.

oh and green light :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You seem to have gotten further than me, matey, although I am not getting that “Disconnect” issue. It’s SteamVR that does not like my HMD.

I think I am going to stop for a bit and go have some Starcraft 2 fun :smiley:

2 Likes

@SweViver I am using .84 and Pitool 1.0 / SteamVR SS 60% and I haven’t felt much problem.

1 Like

All these connection problems maybe because of the new firmware? I dont know. I wish I had it so I could investigate whats wrong…

@yanfeng thats great! I see lots of jagged edges on distance with anything lower than 70% and also clarity gets slightly worse.

Maybe Im just too picky haha…

3 Likes

OK, for now to speed things up I’ve gone back up to .84 and back up and running… Will do some testing from there and can look into the .76 scenario after some quick game testing.

4 Likes

@spamenigma Sometimes you need to wait a moment for the connection, and you can also try lift the headset and move it around a bit (as if trying to wake it up).

If that does not work, use .84 and wait for the Pimax guy to wake up.

2 Likes

The biggest problem I see with 84 is just the fact PiTool at default 1 is so high, so many Unreal games might not even start :frowning:

Hellblade didnt start at PiTool 1.0 and SteamVR SS 20% (as shown in the video). In game SS was 100% only,

1 Like

Didn’t you say even after you get resolution values back to what you had them prior, the performance is worse?

1 Like

No, rolling back to 76 gives me old resolutions again and same performance as with 76 before (as in my benchmark video). Sorry if I wasnt clear. I only used 84 version in this “Update fail” video to show the flaws. After making that video last night, I rolled back to 76 and things works good as before again :slight_smile:

4 Likes