Pimax 5k+ received! Early experience (Spamenigma)

Yes, at a glance it looks flush and out of curiosity and faith I pushed it firmly and noticed it move 1-2mm inward which suddenly made the connection and become detected.

1 Like

Yeah they should print out a warning notice on a drop in sheet when the users 1st open the box it states if device does not boot to check plug connection 1st.

Really curious what your 1st thoughts were when you put on the hmd for the 1st time. Even if just at SteamVr home.

2 Likes

I’ll give a quick summary of that at the end of this setup experience.

1 Like

Damn about the phone. You got that covered by insurance?

The setting up of the HMD seems a little awkward but user experiences like this will help Pimax. e.g. some kind of Step by step process with a troubleshooter option on each step along with a forced restart.

A bit worried about the virus alert, you know, as their website kept having viruses on it so its not much of a leap to assume PiTool download was also infected. Never disable AV as a solution imo.

Looking forwards to your initial gameplay impressions.

1 Like

To be fair it is Norton. Windows Defender is better than Norton and people are reporting it’s fine on that front.

1 Like

OP, you can buy back glass for the S9 for about $15 on eBay if you don’t have insurance or anything on it. Then you can take a heat gun to your phone and very easily replace it.

2 Likes

Yeah, surprised Enigma uses this. Being a pro network engineer and all :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Haha, Commercially its still one of the best AV products I’ve seen and used, from deployment to stopping malicious crap. As I have most of my customers use it I kind of feel obliged to do the same myself, and overall its a better experience than many other AV solutions I’ve encountered.

1 Like

Currently the AV (Panda Security) on my private PC is blocking this forum. My laptop from my company and my mobile devices don’t see any issues with it.

So much for the reliability of the AV…

1 Like

Maybe it has changed since 2002 when it bogged my machine down to a crawl :smiley:

1 Like

@spamenigma thanks a lot for this almost live broadcasting of your Pimax experiences, really grateful to see all the quirks that we all probably have to face when it arrives.

3 Likes

Does it block other forums? Would be good to get to the bottom of the AV alerts that everybody have regardless.

1 Like

They have solid networking tools but their PC protection, last time I checked, was terrible.

1 Like

Stalled a bit here… I initially had .84 of PiTool installed, and have been through the process to downgrade to .76 to fix the issues sweviver highlighted last night. But so far I cannot get my HMD to be detected again. Still trying things!! and yes I’ve rebooted :wink:

1 Like

Waiting for Elite impressions.

Cheers !

2 Likes

I think you might need to downgrade the firmware. @spamenigma

1 Like

As its showing disconnected, I see nothing under HMD in PiTool including the firmware options. Unless there’s another procedure that can be followed?

1 Like

Congrats on your 5K+ @spamenigma! Sad to hear about the initial struggles u had, it looks quite strange to me as Ive never seen it struggle with connection, at least not the final units (the 8K m1 had some problems in the beginning).
And such a shame on the smartphone, hope you can get it fixed cheap!

Anyway, looking forward to see more updates :slight_smile: Enjoy!

7 Likes

Thanks for posting @spamenigma I’ve been lurking here a long time just waiting for this moment…can’t wait to get my own unit :slight_smile:

3 Likes