Official Pimax Now QUESTIONS ONLY Thread (Event on June 29th)

• How can a backer who returned their loaner upgrade to the DAS? I don’t believe there was an option for that. Will it cost more to upgrade after I receive my X?
1 Like

Great!

Then I have a couple of questions for the event:

When will we get the next PiTool update? Will it offer better framerates than version 260 (like what 258 had)?

4 Likes

Ah that’s a good one… I doubt the next update will happen at the same time as the event and most of the changes in the next version revolve around under the hood things for the 8kX and 8k+.

We will talk about Pitool for about 10 minutes though at the end with some useful new information.

13 Likes

Another question that I have for the Q&A session: whats the status of open source? How about Linux support? I know the latter is unlikely, but the former might help the community to get there eventually, at least.

1 Like

hello,
I use Google Translation.
i am backer.
I would like to know the state of development concerning sword sense controllers and when will they be ready?
and when the MAS and the LH will be sent to the backer without going through a complaint via a ticket.

My headset 5k+ is stored in a wardrobe because I do not have the LH nor controllers

5 Likes
  • Are You planning on implementing a “enable beta updates” feature in PiTool?

I’m always prepared to try the newest version of PiTool and and I keep an eye out on OpenMR, but it would be nice to have PiTool either check for stable (default) or beta (opt-in) releases at start-up… :wink:

EDIT: One more I forgot about :slight_smile:

• How about an (open) bug tracker so we can point people there and they can subscribe to notifications on specific bugs?
7 Likes

Good Morning SweViver

Thought I’d give you mainly something else to answer :stuck_out_tongue:

1. ETA for items to be released on Amazon and which territories/order (US,EU,UK). I’d rather pay more for the peace of mind and buy through a platform where I have the final cost upfront?

2. Ever thought of a more environmentally considerate platform whereby the headset is fully modular (for example I want to upgrade my 5k+ so I can just snap on some 8k screens and get a new cable)? Would reduce shipping volumes / plastic waste and make prices more incremental and therefore more attractive. (Plus the wife would definitely notice a second headset lying around lol)

3. Given Pimax likes to push boundaries have you had a look at Quantum LEDs screens? Science — Nanosys

2 Likes

As an early KS backer (#148) why is it I have received nothing more than the 8K headset and no sign of the extras I paid more for: 2x base stations, Leap Motion module, 10m cable despite seeing reports that all but 7 backers have received their base-stations? Plus no sign of any of the stretch goal products other than the free software.

9 Likes

I think everyone has just one question they want answered, and that is when can they receive the Pimax 8KX, and if someone were to order it on the website now when would they receive it.

2 Likes

Shipping ??? how is Pimax going to ship the 8KX to Backers and pre order customers
currently I have a comfort kit STUCK in Singapore since April ,so if they use the same
methods they have been using who knows when you would receive them once dispatched.

2 Likes

I’m X backer ~600 - I’m curious if I could have a batch estimate for when backers will get their X’s.
A slide like 1-10 July, 11-100, August, 101-400, September, etc
In any case it would be nice to know where I am in the queue

3 Likes

Two questions (probably already asked):

1. When should I expect my Backer Upgrade Plan A (Vision 8K X with Deluxe Audio Headstrap , Opt Out of All Stretch Goals Except Eye Tracking Discount) ordered the 6th of November 2019?
  2. When the Discounted Eye Tracking will be available for me and at what price?
    Thanks
2 Likes

Apart of XR and NITS and backlight questions that already were asked I have those:

1. Do u plan to make black rubberized housings? I really like blacks and blue look bad for me.
  2. I tried old pitool with backlight option on my 5k plus sn 204 but fw didn’t work, is it the case that older pitool versions don’t support newer 5kplus HMDs
  3. Will it be possible to use pimax as a virtual desktop on Linux
  4. Will deluxe audio drivers be sold separately so e.g. I can print 3D adapters and attach it to my own strap
2 Likes

Is there any progress on a “reset” or “calibrate” option for the motion compensation?

4 Likes

Hello
You promised a SMAS for preorder 5K +
How to apply ?
Is delivery automatic?
Thank you

3 Likes

So it has already been asked before but no answers so in summary

1. as a 8kx backer upgrade full package when will i receive the headset WITH controllers and base stations? without the entire package the headset is useless to me and not what i ordered in isolation. similar to @DaveBoulden I need the entire package so a target date would be good.

2. What is the situation on the faulty housings that only last a year at best? there was a post saying all faulty housings would be replaced FOC without time limit but that appears to have been reneged on as highlighted by @Castelunan

3. official communications - why are we using Swevivers youtube account for official broadcasts? is it now accepted that Swevivers comments and any comments from guests on this youtube channel from pimax are taken as official? eg interview @Castelunan has highlighted about housings here: Kevin Henderson, Pimax US, on Pimax Quality & Support at VRTO Meetup (House of VR) - YouTube is not on any official pimax youtube channel.

2 Likes

When will Pimax support the OpenXR standard and to what extent (HMD, controllers, full-body-tracking, eye-tracking, hand-tracking)?

4 Likes
  1. HDR capable screens? How deep colours and brithness will be on the 8kX? Are they 100% the same screens as in 8K+? Did you try to calibrate them?
  2. Will eye tracking module diminish brightness/contrast/sharpness? (Is there a glass inside the frame?)
  3. Will eye tracking Dynamic Foveated Rendering add latency in game?
  4. Will eye tracking help to have better IPD profile? (when each eye are not both at the exact same distance from the nose for instance)
  5. Will eye tracking frame reduce eye-box size a bit? (not seeing as much screen)
  6. Could you please share DMAS transducers infos and detailed frequency response?
  7. Will DMAS allow precise 3D holographic imaging with HRTF? How does this compare to cheap (but great) ChiFi IEMs?
  8. Is Pimax going to use VirtuaLink someday? Can you please remind us why it is not featured on 8kX?
2 Likes

According to another thread the 8KX will have only the one USB port at the bottom of the headset while the first version of the hand-motion tracker does not have USB pass-through.

So this means that those who backed the 8KX and hand-motion tracker will receive a version that is incompatible with use of eye-tracking (while using hand-tracking) and other potential modules, effectively forcing us to later buy a second version hand-tracker, if it ever comes with USB pass-through?

3 Likes

HI,
5k XR : Its colors are abnormally
DULL AND off the charts compared to other brands hmds using exactly the same OLED panels (I.E bright orange liquid and foam in HLA pops on vive pro whereas it shows more like a dull orangey brown on 5k XR…Same thing for any other color)
Is Pimax planning to address this issue in a future Pitools release (by adding options to change 5K XR color profile or panels nits target) or shall we consider
that 5I XR is history, can’t or won’t correct
the dark/dull color rendition?.

4 Likes