Now that VR days is Over. Is XTAL better than the 8KX?

Unfortunately I dont live in Europe or the Netherlands.

But since there are multiple people that tried all the headsets at VR Days. How does the 8KX stack up?

1 Like

It doesn’t seem like it. It has worse vertical fov. If you care a lot about colors maybe.

4 Likes

From what I could read the weight & comfort also made it not such a great choice for a user intending to spend hours with the XTal.

I have not heard/read anybody being truly excited about it, more like a proof of concept with some serious down-sides not making it really worth the bother (and that even before considering the price).

5 Likes

It’s hard to be excited about something that most people can’t go out on the store and buy. I think most consumers don’t even know XTAL and Varjo exist.

That and THAT PRICE.

Art Armin also said the xtal had rendering issues. Said in his opinion this was a big issue and brought it up to them.

I didn’t like the experience with the XTAL, it’s too heavy and you need to put the headset in a perfect position.
The problem is that it’s so heavy that when turning the head the headset was swinging, breaking the immersion a lot. And it was tight to my head.
Also, it has very low vertical FOV with a high cushion at the center.
Maybe it needs a lot of time to accommodate it well to your face to make it works properly, as when we received our Pimaxes at the beginning.

5 Likes

@Mlkconcept How much heavier is it compared to the 8KX and the other headsets?

I don’t know exactly, but if I had to guess, I’d say it feels the double, both with the head straps included.
The 8K X/+ with the comfort kit was glued to my face while turning my head, and it felt much more comfortable.
Higher FOV on the Pimaxes, and similar SDE.
Blacks, Brightness and colors the XTAL wins.

2 Likes

The XTal was good but the FOV vertical was bad even worse then small fov headset like rift-s and so, the lenses are better at Xtal but you notice that the raw “image quality” off the 8k-x is much better.

2 Likes

hello there,

how are the colors of the pimax 8k x vs the valve index?
Because the colors of my valve index are much better then the 5kplus,so i hope they are improved!

2 Likes

The Xtal was a weird experience.
Firstly, the thing is huge. Not heavy per se but a chunk bigger than Pimax.
Then there is the black borders, vertical the screen is really small, they focussed only on the horizontal and I think Pimax is bigger there too.

The one thing the headset really stood out for in my opinion is the clarity from left to right. No distortion at all and no sweet spot either I think, the whole thing was clear.

That was nice, very nice, but the other things make it a semi-great headset but with that price, it’s not worth it.

Here is some art to clarify:

8 Likes

I saw something more like this;

It was the first model, it’s 862,4 g the headset only. The new model is 12% lighter.

Head mount incl. balance counter-weight is 440 g, so the total is 1302,4 g.

13 Likes

You and your fancy smooth curves. I created art. Respect the artists.

9 Likes

haha, it was fun. I just want to point out that, under my perception, the center of the vertical fov was lower than the sides, artistically, of course

5 Likes

Very good discussion and thanks for the impressions. I too, was wondering about this. To think…all this time I was drooling over the thought of owning an XTAL and was even trying to save up for one eventually. Hearing these impressions about how the 8K-X is better overall is blowing my mind.

8 Likes

Pimax is better than XTAL now?

AMAZING!!! Time to get Quality Control and make the final revision of the 8KX.

Did you find the Colors and brightness better than the previous headsets on new 8k+8k-x?(vs 8k/5k+)

3 Likes

Very low brightness on the 8K X, related to problems with the cable, according to @SweViver
I couldn’t check the colors because I only could try the flight simulator, I was in a white plane.
Then I was going to try Pavlov but the game crashed several times and I switched to the 8K+.
On the 8K+ the brightness was better than the 8K X, I didn’t like the blacks, on par or worst than 5K+, maybe they increased the brightness on Pitool because, honestly the blacks were very bad. The loading page of steam vr was too bright/grey, also the third scene of TheBlu, the one in the abyss

8 Likes

Although it seems that this battle is rather lost by XTal than won by the 8KX, isn’t it.

I am not saying the 8KX is bad, haven’t tried either of the two yet - but the reason why the dark horse isn’t any longer as attractive as it seemed to be is simply because now people (not under NDA) could give it a try and expose that it is a nice proof of concept for certain elements like lenses, but not a properly refined product balancing out all aspects satisfactorily at this stage - and that is before even considering the price as a factor.

I mean the 8KX did win the battle fair in square. You have to realise Pimax was only known for some obsure headset maybe a couple people owned back in 2017 which was the Pimax 4K, although I own a different version of said headset. 2 Years to make a completely new consumer headset that comes close to a product in the thousands of Euroes range is impressive.

1 Like