8KX High Res/FOV is Moot if the 3D Depth is Lacking

You can’t compare the index as it’s minor canting & limited FoV & low res.

The effect of canting at first didn’t seem to need pp on the index.

Sure, just got me thinking I don’t know I have seen a full depth 3D experience, nor how to effectively measure it from one headset to another. Maybe they are all correct. Maybe they are all wrong and I have only experienced a flatter 3D effect, I can’t say. Previous experience is of course a big factor.

Eg I can’t really miss deep blacks having only used LCD panel headsets for any length of time, no doubt I would if I had an OLED headset to compare.

1 Like

You might not have a sensitivity to the effect. I think someone mentioned before as an example women often have less effects from watching 3d movies on average vs men.

Sebastian was able to see a wobble effect on the 8k without doing a specific test. That most don’t seem to observe.

Sometimes not seeing a difference is better than being able to.

3 Likes

I guess this is true because Index only has 115 “true fov” and still has a circular lens. Still the fact XTAL can achieve a distortionless wide fov means that new lens type is likely more important for Pimax to reduce glare and to get correct world view with no distortion, and possibly lens redesign could give extra binocular overlap, but maybe at the cost of fov on lenses.

Incorrect world scale, distortion and not enough 3d overlap area is Pimax’s biggest weaknessess at the moment. @Pimel Can you give us an idea about how the distortion and world scale is on the 8KX with the newer smaller panels, compared to the old 8K/5K+ and the XTAL which has no distortion? Does the XTAL also have an accurate world scale and depth, and better binocular overlap for 3d compared to Pimax?

1 Like

You might want to recheck on Xtal. It is clearer but not entirely without distortions. & due to weigh factors not really usable.

Well according to @Pimel there is no distortion at all on XTAL, as for whether distortion and the incorrect world scale/depth issue being the same thing or different things to distortion on Pimax headsets is yet to be seen.

One thing for sure is having a lower IPD range would mean you likely have greater binocular overlap and more easily experience the “3d effect”, compared to wider IPD users. This might explain why some users don’t get the “depth experience” with Pimax. Their eyes might not fit within the binocular overlap range to experience the 3d effect.

3 Likes

I can’t answer new detailed questions like this in hindsight with high precision. I had issues with the IPD on the Xtal which took away some of my focus. The 3D was there but I can’t put a grade to it.
I wish I could be of more help but it’s not something I investigated so I don’t think I should vaguely guess to answer your questions.

3 Likes

I actually think this was also due to the fov being smaller on the Xtal.

1 Like

@Pimel I will try to limit it to a simple question. In your review you said you saw no visible distortion on XTAL, do you feel like distortion was still noticeable on Pimax new headsets or less compared to the old 8k/5k?

Isn’t XTALs fov 180 compared to Pimax 170?

The demo I was shown (Aerofly) did not show me much distortion. When I mentioned it Martin told me they worked on the distortion profile and build a new one from scratch. I could easily believe him with what I saw in the headset.

3 Likes

One thing for sure is being in the lower IPD range would mean you likely have greater binocular overlap and more easily experience the “3d effect”, compared to wider IPD users.

This might explain why some users don’t get the “depth or 3d experience” with Pimax. Their eyes might not fit within the binocular overlap area to experience the 3d effect, which is smaller than the sweet spot and not immediately visible to us.

3 Likes

I often read here that the stereo overlap would be small with the pimax. Isn’t it especially large with the Pimax? The only factor that determines it is the inner edge of the lenses (as far as I know). And since the lenses almost touch each other, the overlap is very large. In other words: with the left eye one can look very far to the right in the Pimax and with the right eye very far to the left. This results in the overlap. One reason for the 2D character could be that the edge of the field of view acts as a reference value and this reference value doesn’t work so clearly with a large FOV.

1 Like

Depends on the lenses. If they can make the image seem to come from further left or right than they are in reality then yes. But if not then there is less overlap. So it’s all about them lenses and probably the person’s IPD too.

2 Likes

So the overlap results from the distance between the inner edges of the lenses at a certain IPD. You should be able to compare this distance with other headsets.

We would hope for Pimax’s sake they have fixed these issues.

The fact Index has the correct world scale and also uses fresnel lenses meant I thought it would be possible to fix without changing the Pimax lenses. But since Index is only 115 degrees and not really comparable to Pimax’s design (it sits somewhere between Vive and Pimax) I think either Pimax lenses need to be redesigned or a different lense type needs to be used. Xtal managed to solve this problem, but did they do it with a good distortion profile or their lenses?

only time and reviews will tell us if distortion is a lense issue or if it was a rendering issue that is now solved. ?

1 Like

I really felt the Xtal had maybe glass lenses. Like, no fresnel, just epic clear view. Much like my experience with the first Pimax v2 prototype in 2017.

I feel silly for not having inspected the lens type when i put on or off the headset. The guy at the booth put it on and off of me though.

2 Likes

Ah but other reviews have mentioned some distortion in the Xtal. But if you look at pimel’s review he also said the FoV height is narrow and that pimax’s Large FoV horizontal of 160° seems bigger than Xtal’s spec of 180° Horizontal.

Hopefully the fellow whom bought an Xtal will use @risa2000 Hmdq program to get requested rendered FoV vs claimed.

Is this the M2 prototype with non fresnel lenses which for some reason was discontinued that you tried? I never tried it so I don’t know.

Optical grade plastic can keep the cost and weight down if these were production issues.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/about-new-lenses/6007

Yes, the VR Days booth of Pimax in 2017 that pulled in many extra backers and then other lenses got used.

1 Like

That seems really dishonest thing to do to show the product and say it will have these new lenses to everyone in the forum and then make a swap to inferior lenses.