NoloVR and Pimax

Ah, never even tried that, but you’re probably right. So with that turned of, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work ? I mean SteamVR should then see NoloVR independently of the headset…

Conflicts are not excluded even more so on the beta version

Maybe Pimax and NoloVR work poorly because images on HMD are processed through software and Pimax drivers, while movements are being processed by software and NoloVR drivers. With smartphones, Rifcat takes the role that Piplay should play. But it’s just a hypothesis, since I have not yet received my NoloVR.

In fact, since v1.2 piplay includes “pvr steam vr driver”.
That’s why we can not easily change it like osvr’s steamvr plugin.

No, that’s been there from the beginning. That’s just the Pimax SteamVR driver. It’s just in a different directory.

Weird. Maybe Pimax doesn’t turn off the sensors correctly and still reports sensors to Steam. Otherwise I don’t see why this wouldn’t work.

Hmm but then again, mabye steam always assumes a HMD to report gyro data and that the problem is that Nolo has to report to Pimax, which then reports to Steam … not sure … But maybe it’s something like that.

1 Like

Or maybe NoloVR needs these sensors enabled to work correctly, if so, we’re in trouble. That latency delay ppl detected during Lyrobotix’s video demonstarations may be accurate afterall.

If so, why would nolo not release the nolo driver for pimax to GitHub?
As in the case of osvr, they simply need to post their modifications.
The key seems to have a pimax. So I guess it’s not even a normal way of running steamvr.
This is nolo’s answer.

http://forums.nolovr.com/discussion/184/about-setting-up-nolovr-with-pimax-4k#latest

I’m speculating that SteamVR always wants a headset to report gyro data. So that would mean that the Nolo driver would need to send its gyro data to the Pimax driver, which would need to forward it to SteamVR.

But it’s just speculation, I don’t know for sure how it works. But this would make sense.

There should be an override for NoloVR on the Pimax 4K to eliminate the constant drift and hasn’t it been established that turning off the gyro’s is an no-go on latest Piplay?

But how then leap motion and ps3 controllers do work with Pimax and Steam? (After spending hours of course)?
Another argument: given that NoloVR and Pimax can work together, I begin to suspect there will be some latency. In the NoloVR support forum, some users begin reporting a sensor delay.

Those controllers don’t send gyro data on your head’s movement. The whole problem is (I figure) that that device that you attach to your Pimax actually partly sends the same gyro data. Then again, I’m not sure why it doesn’t work when you set device sensors of, maybe Pimax didnt implement it correctly. Or maybe it is something else, I’m merely speculating here. I’m still waiting on my Nolo to arrive so I can’t verify anything myself.

1 Like

Direct link to the thread on the NoloVR forum: http://forums.nolovr.com/discussion/184/about-setting-up-nolovr-with-pimax-4k

Like @industria asks, was that video they posted fake then ? I don’t get it …

1 Like

No idea, i have watched it many times and i cant notice and ‘body’ movements on the video. Of course the guy is moving and trying to avoid something, but in the 3d space he is almost stable or maybe its just a difference between PC/HMD picture (they dont match exactly).

I have tried to setup nolo with 1.1.92 many times, but i cant get bodytracker working, at all. All hardware recognized, controllers are there, however they are bugged as well (flying somewhere behind me and wont recenter/point to the base station)

I noticed the same thing you did notice Industria. The movements of the camera are less fluid and soft than those of the guy.
I also watched this video:

Virtual controllers vibrate, as if the sensors failed to capture the perfect position of the real controllers. Of course this last observation does not have to do with the Pimax headset.

Well, here it is and I can’t even use it with the Pimax 4K:

Try it, maybe i was wrong and its working with some old pimax versions.

Can’t, my Pimax 4K gave up on me and Pimax Support on Skype have neglected to even respond for an good few days now…

I’m rather upset about the deception from Nolo and Pimax now. This should be working now, and the classic ‘our engineers are working’ doesn’t cut it anymore.

Pimax, please be honest with us and tell us a few things, such as why you blatantly ignore comments about your failing 1.2x drivers, why you jumped ship from 1.1.92 to begin with, and also why Nolo doesn’t work. These two items are not cheap, people who paid did not sign up to be beta tester but users. You are hurting trust from this unique community.

That said, Nolo needs to be hammered with questions about their controllers not working, especially with the Pimax 4k. Conveniently they have not sent anything about confirming my email adddress, so I can’t even be part of the nolo forum. Been days now and I’ve tried repeatedly to have them resend one.

I’m just fed up with false promises and shady ‘dodge around understand the bush’ responses these days. Just be honest, for once. Then twice… and so on.

1 Like

CryCoh I experienced the same problem. I wanted to support Industria in the NoloVR forum, asking for explanations, but my forum registration failed. This is very suspicious. CMM, sorry for your Pimax. Now I hope to receive at least the tracking number. I checked on Reddit if there was any new thread about NoloVR. I found one about OSVR compatibility that also seems problematic.

There was a problem before the driver update, but now it works well in OSVR.
I think Pimax is the same situation. So I’m looking forward to piplay update.

I saw the case of osvr and I decided to wait until next Friday.