[NextGenVR] Facebook Connect Summarized in Under 3 Minutes! - VR Metaverse and Project Cambria Headset

Yeah its so weird. Despite the reputation issues. Pimax blew alot of people away last week. All they need to do is keep quiet…dont say too much and focus on delivering what they said.

If they can do this without the traditional screw-ups even UploadVR will be eating crow in 2022.

HTC has failed big again that vive flow was the most underwhelming product of 2021.

5 Likes

Leap motion ? lololol

1 Like

This is why I think the rebrand was a good thing. I mentioned earlier that this year alone I have 6 real friends jump into quest.

But I have at least 2 more that were ready to take the plunge until the second I mentioned the need a facebook account.

The sooner that name is disassociated with the product the more people will join.

2 Likes

This is something that really annoys me in some respects.

1. Ppl need to take responsibility for there choices in use of social platforms.
  2. Parents need to take better care in knowing what there kids use and regulate and monitor activity.

While I am not overly fussy on FB; I use it as a tool knowing how they use information and choose what aspects I use of it. Since FB changed Oculus requirements to having a FB account. I have discontinued using Oculus platform.

For a cleaner self controlled experience I use MeWe; very nice as your privacy is more of a priority and is community funded(no adds) and you control what pops up in your news feeds.

FB primarily is there for old friends contact and finding ppl.

Okay maybe a bit if a rant. Jist often it seems there are ppl whom want to promote lack of free will. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

4 Likes

I fortunately infected my friends into pc gaming early on and lan parties became a weekly staple from the moment we could network Doom. While I will occasionally multi-play on line, it has never been the same as the live sharing of mayhem and refreshment with close friends in the same room. The yells of success and wails of defeat sound so much better in person.
All the online friend/unfriend stuff seems so shallow, when most people never meet IRL. More like a friendly button than a friend button.

You find out who your friends are when you ask them to help you move. Others find out who your friends were by what they say at your funeral (if they show up) :grinning:

5 Likes

Funny to read this here I also seen a few of mark passio his lectures like for example demystifying the occult
The problem is people think they know everything about the world that is programmed in their mind and there not seeing the things that they see as progress are just things that go a certain way because it is designed to move that way by the things in power and there design is to take things as far away from the human self so people can say dude you’re old or you don’t understand this but the problem is I think I see these things all to well
And if you know what the power structures goal is it is easy to see how there getting there

1 Like

Yes but you have to agree that if you look at our children technology has it advantages but it also has its downsides because do you see children play outside no because phones iPads game consoles are turning them into tech zombies and we as adults can definitely see the difference between using tech to youre advantage or getting used by tech turning you in to an autistic tech zombie when we were young we learned if you want to do something you put in the work but imagine those zombie kids when there our age trust me it’s going to be a whole other world and we will definitely feel like relics
But this path for mankind is all by design because they want people to turn into mindless digital zombies and yeah I don’t need people to convince me I’m wrong and I don’t need to convince others I’m right we will see for ourselves but It’s something to think about

1 Like

100% agree. Most ppl will never see whole picture. I also like Dr Bruce Lipton lectures about how human brain and mind is working. Some of them are on YT and Londonreal.tv

1 Like

Cool thanks I’ll check that out :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Infected? I guess that makes VR the stage 2 strain of that particular virus.

Go ahead an re-infect then.

3 Likes

That is an issue of parenting. We had the same issues arise with TV and Gaming consoles in the 80s. Parents whom didn’t regulate and monitor there kids activities.

Again we also have had our own Tech Zombies. One friend his parents had to take his Nintendo away to ensure he went to school. People often want to side step there own responsibilities 8n things instead of owning there part.

I know of adults in our own age group that don’t know about putting the “work in”

And I know kids and ppl in the millenial generation whom are go getters and know how to work. It is up to the parent to instill the values and skills. So you should avoid stereotypes even if a good % may seem to fit it.

Finding ways to entertain the masses is good for subduing them. You being on the internet, watching TV and gaming works well to that end. Richard Stallman has talked about issues with Technology while being a grandfather of Opensource.

Now you could be like many purists living off the grid working the land etc… But you’ve already accepted a lure.

3 Likes

Exactly… As parents it’s our responsibility to find the right balance even though we most likely need to change our own habits to do so.

Lead by example… :wink:

I’d I didn’t have (small) kids I probably wouldn’t get out much… :rofl:

4 Likes

I partially agree with what you say but be wary of a lot of things being set in place not for the good of the people but more to drive the people away from one’s nature I’m also someone that can appreciate technology to a certain degree but a lot of things aren’t actually for the benefit of the people for example they want to ban cash and only use digital currency but by doing so you give up a huge part of you’re freedom all for the so called benefit of the peoples health and there are lots of examples like that would you let someone put a chip in youre brain for direct contact with youre digital identity because there are people in power talking about these things it’s insane

I came from the banking industry. They have been trying to get rid of cash for decades. I stood in the lobby in a low income part of Toronto with a branch manager on a Friday (payday) and watched people lined up out the door for a teller with literally nobody at the 3 atm machines. When i ask why, the manager said. “All these people have had their debit cards revoked for abuse”.
Thing is 1/2 the economy is underground and only deals in cash.

1 Like

Technology is in the hands of the user. Some blame cars for why folks are getting fat due to ppl not walking to 0laces like the store.

As Dogbite said they have been trying to do away with material currency for years. I even participated in a study in Guelph, On Canada called Mondex. It wasn’t that bad tbh. I had a special wallet that allowed me to transfer funds from one wallet to another; no online connection required.

Now there is actually reasonable reasons to get rid of material currency. Money itself is literally dirty as many ppl handle it and it is not sanitized. So something like the movie Contagion is quite possible.

Now were not yet at forced augmentation like William Gibson’s Neuromancer or ST:Borg. How ppl choose to embrace and use technology is individual. And yes there may eventually come a time that the Movie Idocracy becomes a reality.

1 Like

That seems about right, they are still apparently approx. 6-12 months away from releasing their next headset. Of course they have shown glimpses of future headsets pretty consistently during the past years, just without clearly providing the timeline and specs.

But let us discuss the merits of the differences in approach between say Pimax and Facebook/Meta in one year from now. If Pimax release the 12K with the specs as announced all in good working condition no later than end of year 2022, then I guess they may have an advantage. But if they don’t, I personally would prefer to not be hyped for something incredible only to see specs and/or time-line suffer more the nearer the deadline comes. That would leave me with a bad taste, a sense of disappointment, even where the headset would objectively is a compelling offering nevertheless. The advantage of the Meta approach here is that they can take their time to develop & polish the product - and if it ain’t ready for show-time, it ain’t ready and they’ll postpone the release without inviting a sh!tstorm. And nobody will be disappointed in a good headset just because the announcement promised even better.

Different philosophy.

But I get your point that you like to be informed along the way what they are planning and how they are coming along. It just puts enormous pressure on Pimax to deliver.

I didn’t talk about watching TV with friends coming over.

I was talking about the introduction of new media tech, and what it does to people. Before TV’s stood in every living room, people would meet family, freidns, neighbours more freqently just to chat away a bit. Once TV’s arrived in masses, people started to settle for an evening in front of the TV. And take kids - they’d watch a lot of TV if their parents would let them to - I know hardly any parent who doesn’t have to restrict TV, nowadays Netflix/Youtube consumption of their offspring.
Consumption which happens alone, or say with a family member, but much less interaction between the viewers than if there was no TV. And the elderly would point out that people were talking more before the TV’s arrived.

I was just making the point that a trap many people fall for is to believe that the standard we experienced in our youth is the “proper”, “good” way how to do things, and modern tech is greeted with scepticism while in truth the values they claim to defend had already been compromised in their youth, and if you’d ask their parents, they would say the standards of their (now grown-up) kids is already too low.

2 Likes

Well to a certain degree things can be like that but I do not feel the need to go out every night to see my friends after a long days work but the point you’re making is we should go back running through the woods because then we are really going back to basic just wat I’m trying to say is the rate technology is evolving is fast and ok when we were younger tv just got out but watching a bit of tv doesn’t turn you in a digital zombie like people looking at there phone or iPad all day people in the street totally focused on there phone when riding a bicycle or even in there car it’s pretty insane

1 Like

TV turns you into a TVzombie. Especially once families started having multiple TVs. It was a concern when we were young as well. The Tube babysitting and raising kids. It always comes back to the values the parent has and instills in the young.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the TV had a comparable effect of sucking up all the attention of the individual - just that due to limitations of the technolgogy it wasn‘t as portable as the mobile phones are. And while watching TV is a completely passive thing, with the smartphones one could make the case that there is far more interaction, so actually you could even argue it‘s preferable.
The phenomenon you are describing, the Smombies, is just a snap shot of it having become mobile yet not satisfactorily integrated into the process: once proper AR glasses or even BCIs are available people will be able to divide their attention between the virtual and real world better depending on priority.

Don‘t get me wrong, I am not advocating that this will be a „better“ world we will enter into, and I see a big danger that the youth, when they start to move their inter-personal relationships more and more into the digital, virtual spheres, will see some fundamental changes to their social interaction, and it will be interesting to learn which psychological impact that has, what the longevity of such relations is, how authentic they are, how good these virtual friends will really get to know each other, etc… In 20 years from now there will be people whose priority is their virtual friends, who exist in the virtual depictation of themselves which they are presenting in social media, with Photoshop etc., and who will care less about their true physical appearance than that of their avatar, to name an example.

Our society is about to change some of its core social codes and interaction models, and the world will look different in 50 years. Hopefully there will be some level of recognition that it shouldn‘t be allowed to go too far. Thankfully there will be one thing at least which will prevent people going fully virtual - sex. You wouldn‘t want to have that only virtual, would you. Os that will force you to try to meet girls in person…

It‘s just that we are seeing all this happen right now, and there is no stopping it - so I guess it is better to learn how to cope with it and try to avoid pitfalls.

1 Like