[NextGenVR] Facebook Connect Summarized in Under 3 Minutes! - VR Metaverse and Project Cambria Headset

This is why I like Pimax. You guys reveal your ambitious roadmap in 2022 which we can all get excited about, while Facebook and HTC think that videos of dark snippets of their new headset and providing almost no detail would get people excited. When HTC has done this in the past, their reveals end up being disappointing. Facebook probably doesn’t have much to reveal right now on the hardware side.

8 Likes

No lack of uncanny valley. :7

Man, would Penn ever have elevated the show! :smiley:

Speaking of elevated: Had a bit of a giggle at that lady who was talking about games, who had this choreographed-looking set of spaceous expressive gesticulating to go with her talking, but the table (…or square-shaped grand piano? :P) was so high, she had to pull her arms up to do it. :9

I had a random thought during the Pimax presentation, by the way, that it and Varjo’s, before it, were kind of negative film images of one another: Varjo had a lot of people dressed all in black, and Pimax had its white void (albeit with warehouse reverb); One of Varjo’s dressers-in-black was this lady of chinese-or-nearby descent, working in Finland, and Pimax had this individual I can only imagine must have grown up in China, with a chinese father, and a finnish mother. I only need to figure out who Pimax’s opposite would be, to the most norwegian guy in the world. :9

3 Likes

I’m soon to be 59 and I ve seen so much tech improvements in my time. Slow of course but I still never would have thought I could play in virtual world . First the vive and last few years Pimax. Hopefully I’m still around for next leap. And I dont mean my dirt nap! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

We are a community here in this forum
Doesn’t matter if we agree on any certain subject which in it self makes us part of this forums great community. I see same people here as I did 4 years ago when kickstarter began. That’s why I visit every day

4 Likes

Facebook was good for me when my kids were younger and playing sport etc. So my family could keep up with what was happening. Now that they are at university I dont Facebook anymore.

1 Like

Sorry I just rambled there…lol

3 Likes

The evolution of the phone has been amazing. How it is used is sometimes anti-social. It is also dangerous when one can’t get their face out of it long enough to avoid being run down at a red light or just avoid walking in to others. That those folks would be so anti-social to people IRL and yet wish to find social connection in a virtual world, is the contraction.

All i can say to them is “hey, you look like you may have been really interesting as you slid under my car. Too bad we never got to meet”

4 Likes

For at work it’s a nightmare…used to be a phone call on land line at end of the day. Now its constant micro management. I run construction company…its non stop

1 Like

And guys running the jobs for construction job we are working on know nothing but look good in collared shirt and khaki pants

Wth!!!

1 Like

Again I ramble…someone please stop me

Lol

Its okay for one company to have a larger plan. The more people have VR for whatever reason the more games we get.

I’ve had enough of this chicken vs Egg situation. All we’ve had so far is eggs.

1 Like

lol. Company invents cars - screw those cars I’ll stick with the personal connection I have with my horae.

Company invents phone - Nah I prefer the personal connection of having to physical go someones house to talk to them.

Well , run by Meta.

The metaverse is inevitable , but eventually it needs to become decentralized and take on a life if its own.

I agree with most of what he was envisioning. Its basically the internet that you travel through in Vr. Every link is a door you physically walk through.

The difference is Facebook doesn’t own the internet.

1 Like

Agreed. Tech advances often have pros and cons. On some avenues things the phone, social networking(internet) etc… Can both help ppl with social interaction issues by providing a medium to help them interact and express themselves. That’s a pro. The opposite can be true as well as providing a means to hide from the world. Were seeing this with recent spotlight on FB for those whom haven’t seen these kinds of potential problems without monitoring and regulating use to have balance.

Then there is the time you realize you have become your parents complaining about how good the young have it compared to when we were kids. :laughing:

I’m very much convinced that UploadVR.com is in the pockets of Facebook or secretly owned by them. They’ve written more articles about their uninspiring Connect conference than they have about anything else.

2 Likes

Me too, I’d play more pop 1 if it had a storymode and single player. What I meant was VR is seen from the outsiders as even more isolating than annoying millenials who would rather have a meaningful conversation via SMS with emojis.

But its not the reality. I use sms to keep connections between distant friends without the hassle of having to have constant phone calls. When I see this friend after 5 years it feels like we saw each other yesterday because we are constantly in contact via messaging.

That being said i’m not anti-social. 2021 has been nuts from 2012-2020 I was the only VR evangelist of everyone I know.

2021 I now have 6 friends who bought a quest and we routinely go fishing and play 4 player demeo (As a kid IRL i coukd never find friends nerdy enough to want to play D &D in the basement but now I finally got to have that experience!

Whatever facebook is doing it’s working.

Im connecting with some friends weekly in VR more than I was when they didnt have VR.

3 Likes

That is the Heaney effect. :laughing:

However it can be said maybe not. As Palmer called Heaney out long ago as fanatic follower when he seemed to follow him around.

1 Like

Good example. I’m currently watching Peaky Blinders and something stood out to me . Imagine a time before phones took off, where getting one was considered a BIG DEAL .

Now imagine VR in its current form. Soon it will be as common place to pick up the VR headset or glasses to chat with someone as it was to pick up a landline telephone.

2 Likes

Indeed I remember when everyone thought video phone chat was coming and be standard. Seems only more today with things like Zoom are only really starting to make it more used.

Lol one of my friends literally said the same thing. He texted me after I sent him the link to the keynote and asked “Is he CG?” :rofl:

Yes it will be very interesting to see this weekends popular podcasts.

Who’d have thought that out of HTC, Oculus, Varjo and Pimax. That Pimax would be the winner of most unbelievable presentation for october !

1 Like