Newly arrived 8kx does not work, really frustrated (Solved, working with his RTX)

Glad I have an 8kx that works with 60 and 75hz, i never use 90.

3 Likes

Maybe some component shortage or EOL forced Pimax to redesign the PCB and make this new model.

Because recently a lot of VR HMD have issues with AMD Cards (Varjo, Arpara…), and they recognized that is a HW compatibility issue.

So maybe the new 8KX use the same decoder as the others HMDs, and that is the reason of the new compatibility problems.

This new FW is not compatible with older 8kX. Pimax explained this new model was to address the Nvidia 90hz issues and is stable; but they have not worked out lower refreshes and it breaks Amd compatibility

This could be an issue since people will start to flash older fws. A friend did and now I need the FW. Support ticket is created.

2 Likes

Indeed and pitool itself was flashing 299 on these new models. One user on Reddit had bad 2001 FW on his that only had 2 FoV modes until Support gave him a new version of “2001” which hopefully pimax stops releasing several different FW with the same version number.

Varjo and a few other Hmds only list Nvidia Specific support. StarVR One was also Nvidia only. Not sure on Arpara’s listed GPU support.

They said that the Thetered version not support AMD cards because they use Spread Trum in the DP1.4 by default, and their HW Decoder doesn’t support it. So maybe Varjo, StarVR and others use similar decoders with the same issue.

Just sent Good luck.

1 Like

Lenovo legion that I use is almost the fastest laptop available, the 3080 is on par with desktop 3070Ti, I would say half tier down.
Basically I did all your suggestions. The only doubt may be the usbc-DP Converter but works fine with my old 5k+

1 Like

5K+ doesn’t use DSC or HDCP.

2 Likes

Indeed your laptop was looked into and would likely worked as others whom have similar powerful laptops do work with the earlier 8kX model.

The issue appears to be directly related to only supporting 90hz. As.your link to pimax support forum showed the answer was iirc using FW 296 a pre 90hz firmware.

Wow, if that is the case then that is definitely a huge step back for those who don’t have one of the newer cards. Really a shame that the newer model has apparently lost all of its versatile functionality in pursuit of a stable 90hz goal. This is actually a big deal because every since the 8KX first released there have been plenty of reviews of people using it with 1080ti cards and recommending it to others based on that use. If someone buys one now based on those reviews they are going to be very disappointed and likely waste a lot of their time trying to figure out why its not working. I hope they figure out a way to resolve this and really hope that this limitation doesn’t find its way into the upcoming 12K also.

1 Like

Indeed if you recall 90hz mode had best success even with first 90hz firmware released last year in Apr on Amd Gpus from the start. Now broken even base Amd support.

This new version will not work on our GTX as they are not compatible with 90hz mode which is also likely why laptop support is broken.

Support confirmed that these 8kX are not compatible with GTX with a user on reddit, Amd gpu on FB and Laptops here with the Op.

1 Like

Real shame. I’ll have to keep this info in mind when people ask about how well the 8KX will work with a 1080ti from now on. I know I’ve recommended it in the past quite a few times based on my experience with it. Lack of proper support for my card is exactly why I returned the Vive Pro 2 when I compared it to my 8KX last year. The VP2 would only work with the 1080ti in the lower graphics mode which was very blurry compared to what I could get out of my 8KX with it.

1 Like

I have as well. This makes pimax look bad and those of us whom have posted our experiences for anyone whom finds themselves with a non working 8kX. Due to pimax not clearly informing ppl the new rev 8kX is “gimped”. It has already caused issues with Amd gpu users trying help others track down why it is not working. When all evidence suggests it should as it does for those with older 8kX.

This revised model should have been held back and only sent to testers while they fix compatibility and missing features.

Alternatively they could have temporarily had 2 skus with one Being called:

8kX RTX edition

• 90hz only Mode
  • Requires RTX 30 Desktop card.
  • Not compatible with Laptops or Amd Gpus.
3 Likes

Hi Guys,

More updates. I have purchased a new desktop PC (HP Omen 45L with 12700K+3080Ti), the hmd sort of works now, but it is very buggy…although once it works, the imag clearity is amazing (comparing to my old 5k+).
I have 3 major concerns:

1. In the most cases, there is no sound. I am with the DMAS version. I must plugoff and plugin the usb port so many times to get the sound work, if I am lucky enough… What is the problem? Seems to me a firmware issue. Any suggestions?
  2. The screen seems dimmer than my old 5k+, even at 100 brightness, is it normal?
  3. Will the 75Hz and the interpolation mode be added later?
1 Like

Is it possible to also send me that firmware too :slight_smile: looks like my 1 day old 8kx has the exact problem.

1 Like

I cannot send you unless you give me an email:-P

Sorry lol… emumanx@gmail.com many thanks

I am guessing you have an 8kX model that uses the 2001 FW? Judging by the 75hz question. If so in theory it might as they have said there trying to get other refresh rates working on this revised hardware as atm it is only compatible with desktop RTX cards.

DMAS issue seems odd. As a few folks with this revised 8kX have reported a variety of issues due to a bad version of 2001 like only 2 FoV modes. So you may need to have it reflashed.

Brightness I can’t say but was not my Xp with earlier 8kX model.

DMAS issue solved. Suggested by pimax egineers, we have to set the spatial sound effect to 7.1 in order to work…They should tell people this beforehand.

1 Like