Newly arrived 8kx does not work, really frustrated (Solved, working with his RTX)

What is exactly preventing my 8kx from connecting DP? It is a miniDP 1.4 port, It is the same as the desktop DP1.4, just smaller in dimension, the converter is just doing the wiring, correct?

1 Like

@PimaxUSA would you happen to know if the current 12K models that you guys are testing still support the GTX 10series GPUs? I haven’t had any luck upgrading my 1080ti yet, and I don’t have much hope that the GPU shortage situation is going to get any better anytime soon. Thankfully the 1080ti has allowed me to enjoy my early model 8KX.

1 Like

That is a good question. Pimax during 298 firmware had one for Desktops that didn’t support laptop setups. I don’t myself know the specifics. Save that maybe differences between desktop gpu and laptop gpu.

There is a related topic here: https://support.pimax.com/en/support/discussions/topics/60000406799?page=1
People are encountering the DP disconnected issue even for desktop users!!
Pimax, you have to take action!!!

1 Like

Do you happen to know where can I find the 298 firmware for laptops? I would like to try that… I have tried so many firmwares but keep failing…

1 Like

Your right this user has posted it seems to be the 90hz mode

Akindeji
said 11 days ago
All may not be lost…

There may be an issue with the 90hz display mode. Once that is activated it can cause the DP to stop being detected properly, especially if you are on a laptop. The problem is that once you have 90hz selected and the DP no longer is detected, the pimax application doesn’t let you select a different mode.

The fix is to downgrade to a previous version of both pitool and the 8Kx firmware. You need versions that don’t support 90hz, so by default they will switch back to 75 hz or 60hz.

Look at this thread

https://support.pimax.com/en/support/discussions/topics/60000403380

This is fine for 8kX made prior to FW 2001.

The newer 8kX thar comes with 2001 FW is not compatible with earlier FW. Pimax needs to create a FW for these that support other native refresh rates lower than 90hz.

@pimaxquorra @hammerhead_gal can you look into this?

4 Likes

Hello,

I would recommend you to file a ticket with our tech team, Yvette or Adonis are happy to provide tech assistance to resolve your 8KX issue.

Unfortunately it seems to resolve this will require an exchange for the older 8kX model as the new model is not compatible with laptops according to pimax site.

Since the new version only supports 90hz native this new hardware revision if not fixable will create a lot of issues for new consumers with such a limited support profile. As it has dropped 60/75 hz native, no upscale mode(though still advertised) and the new hardware lacks GTX support and maybe causing issues with Amd Gpus(see Facebook group).

Hopefully they can restore the missing features and restore lost compatibilities.

2 Likes

Pitool team is trying to support other native refresh rates lower than 90hz.

Then they should have held off releasing this revised model in a crippled state. It explains why there is confusion with this broken version

It was not ready for release.

With luck maybe not too many of these have shipped otherwise will likely cost a lot with returns with anyone with a laptop, GTX or Amd gpus.

3 Likes

So far martin and I only have tested on 2080ti, 3070 laptop and 3090. There aren’t huge numbers of samples just yet.

Already filed. Yvette replied me that there is absolutely no way to used with a laptop…Can you guys explore the options further?

MiniDP usually steps the signal down to DP1.2.

Here is a pretty good article about it: DisplayPort vs Mini DisplayPort — what's the difference? | LEVVVEL

The issue you are comparing it to that occasionally occurs on desktops is not the same, that is often caused by the driver recognizing the integrated card before the discreet card and therefore not allowing HDCP compatibility.

Ok, even this, pimax website states 8kx support DP1.2.
Second, when I use a usbc port which supports DP1.4, it is still not working.

1 Like

If it says that it is clearly incorrect.

USB-C also often does not support 1.4 when converted, you must be extremely careful with which converter is chosen - the converted signal must have both DSC and HDCP which most of the time does not survive the translation.

I would add laptop display adapters also often are 1 or 2 models lower than their desktop equivalent at the same model. i.e. a mobile 3080 is actually performs considerably less than a desktop 3070 and so on. Same is usually true for the CPU component and even the controllers (usb and even disk controllers etc.).

Even the best laptops are not usually in the desktop class except for very rare devices that are true desktop replacements. (there are indeed a few)

Conclusion: Does this mean it’s impossible to run an 8KX on a laptop - it can certainly be done and we occasionally do so only with very careful planning, preparation and expectations.

Steps required if you choose to do so with an 8KX:

1. Must have DP 1.4 end to end with all the features supported. This means DSC and HDCP and full bandwidth. Make sure your port adapter supports this as most do not.
  2. Must disable (or change the bios priority) of the integrated graphics adapter and cause the discreet adapter to be first. NOTE: Some laptops actually have a physical switch to do this. Those that have this make switching very easy.
  3. The Pimax cable on the headset does not matter (USB and Optical are the same when considering laptop use)
  4. Disable low power mode for the GPU and USB ports in your power profile and if you have a mechanical hard disk in addition to your SSD disable the rapid spin-down as this can be quite annoying when using for VR. Also disable Optimus if that is an option.
  5. Expect frame rates to be 1-2 model steps below the same desktop parts. So adjust your games and pitool settings accordingly.
  6. Make sure you are running the latest video card drivers.

Kevin the issue here is the revised 8kX Hardware and Firmware only supports 90hz native; no 60hz, 75hz.

The pre 2001 FW models are compatible with Laptops.

Note: FW 2001 is not compatible with earlier shipped 8kX batches.

8kX FW 2001 models are not compatible with AMD Gpus, Nvidia GTX cards like 1080ti or Laptop Nvidia GPUs. It is only compatible with Desktop RTX cards possibly only 30series. And only has 90hz Native no upscale or other refresh rates.

These 8kXs are broken to anything but a Desktop RTX card.

So conclusion was correcr with 8kX models that are compatible with FW 299 and older FW.

1 Like

Issues with laptops go way back and are especially acute on the 8KX because it pushes the limits to a higher degree.

The FW issue you are pointing out is complex, moreso than you describe and very likely not his issue as he was trying with dp 1.2 and then through a standard cable converter for the usb-c.

Pre and Post fw2001 have every issue I pointed out in my list on laptops as those are all essentially universal to any BOM 8KX.

With updated firmware the entire list and the sequence pointed out is exactly the same.

Can you send it to me too ak-u-ma@hotmail.de?

Or anyone else send me the 2001fw?

Pre 2001 and pre 298 works with Laptops in fact I recall Marcin saying he has used his old laptop with the 1070.

The newest 8kX Hardware that can only use FW 2001 is problematic. Likely in part due to only having 90hz native no other lower refresh rates available.

The Op’s laptop was verified the Usb-c is dp1.4 capable.

Just why create something like that if Pre era worked great?

2 Likes