New Pitool 1.0.1.197 (beta) is available now

I concur on needing to turn off any antivirus software. On my first install/reboot on .196 my 8K headset wouldn’t work with steamvr. Check Help->Diagnose and hey presto, “Application integrity” failed + steamvr reinstall recommended. Disabled Windows Defender (and reinstalled steamvr because I am paranoid). And it worked!

2 Likes

So I actually installed the unpublished 197 from earlier today (and it also didn’t show 120hz), that updated my firmware. THEN the 197.R244 came out and I’ve installed that and there was no new firmware at that step. and now i still don’t have 120hz.

My headset firmware in pitool now shows: V2.1.255.244

1 Like

I’ve installed it. Everything worked fine. I can’t test VR right now, but the chevron color feature is working. What I’m most interested in is the ~10% framerate increase.

2 Likes

same here, except I even installed 196,197, then 197 R244 (firmware was updated with 196 install but no 120 Hz mode since)

1 Like

Same version for me. Best

• stop SteamVR (or any other running VR applications)
  • set the FoV to “small” in the Games setting of PiTool
  • reboot the device
  • now check whether you can see 120 Hz as an option
    Worked for me.
2 Likes

I need an option to manually update firmware again, this update bricked the HMD, will not turn on, I rolled back firmware and tried an old pitool but the headset is inoperable

It’s about the same as most other headsets but the pimax has a big vertical view that makes the horizontal seem cramped , just been using 120Hz with 200 SS on some games .Looks good despite the limited fov especially if you can turn up the brightness in the application .

my 5k+ is in rma I can not enjoy it right unfortunately :no_mouth:

2 Likes

I have headset FW V2.1.255.244 and Software V1.0.1.197 and 120hz works for me even do i have a hard time with the small fov.

1 Like

I wait like 7 minutes than turned off power at the headset - than of course bricked my unit but latter reseted HMD by removing power plug to it and than after Pitool restart it works and completed firmware update successful.

However I don’t have 120 hz mode :confused:

Now I have big question what firmware ver. we should have in 5k+ with new pitool ?? my says 2.1.255.244 ,
I have latest Nvida drivers from 29th of October

Issues i had found

1: I see slight flickering from the panels(like it can’t keep the 120hz properly, and does not look correct)
2: When using 120hz, the FOV is way smaller than 130 FOV(close to 110).
3: The panels become Very dark and the colors are more washed out in the 120hz mode.
(might be just an issues with how it’s dark, so the colors become too washed out, and not a vivid)

The big issue is how the 120hz is flickering slightly, like it’s struggling to stay at 120hz.

Edit:
My GPU MSI 2080 Seahawk.

At 90hz:
i use Brightness at -4 on all channels
Red: +2 contrast
Green + 1 contrast
Blue -3 contrast
Backlight brightness is set to LOW.

This makes it looks fine for me.
But changing any of these in 120, don’t really do much in 120hz mode.
And does not look like it should in 120hz mode.

Like i mentioned above, i noticed some stability issues in 120hz.
when i am staring at the panel, i noticed a slight brightness/flicker in the panel.

@Matthew.Xu

1 Like

I don’t have the flickering but the FOV does seem extra small, and it’s very dark even with high brightness set.

120 looks stunning though… I didn’t think it would be that noticeable over 90 but it really is. I can’t see me gaming like this but it’s a nice glimpse into future wide + high fps headsets.

5 Likes

Is there some procedure for resetting everything because mine bricked and I can not get it back

plug off power cord in pimax adapter

1 Like

ok, I don’t get it, i had to start pitool with it unplugged, then plug it in. I am on the rolled back firmware and I do have 120 hz

How did you roll back your firmware? just installed an older pitool?

1 Like

Actually I like this backlight “dark mode”, as an option of course, for dark games it’s great.
Try the intro of Asgard’s Wrath, the tree-man, with low backlight, and high contrast on 120hz and compare it to 90hz, looks almost oled, it’s great for horror games

Backlight Brightness;

-High
-Normal
-Low
-Dark Mode

@Matthew.Xu

8 Likes

Guys, if you have “Intelligent Standby List Cleaner” that had been promoted across various forums for better VR performance, disable that! It may screw with your Firmware update.

It killed my Nvidia driver installation earlier today. Then I killed it. Win+R and enter taskschd.msc then check that as well. Get rid of that stuff.

1 Like

Here a description how to roll back manually:

Description at 11:55

6 Likes

Not AV that causes this…
Still the same even now
[Edit]
Did a hard reboot og the HMD and reboot og PC, Pitool now updated the FW :+1:

2 Likes