New Pimax 8k X with weird firmware version

I hadn’t thought about movies or racing…good point.

1 Like

That’s disappointing as I have really enjoyed the Pimax. I hope you find it fine. Laptops really can’t power a pimax to its fullest right? I may have overemphasized the importance of 75hz as I realize its just 18% difference in fps performance and frametiming is not a deal breaker. I am admitted clarity snob. The smoothness is usually greater in 90hz. I just have a few games where I get better clarity by aiming for 75fps (or 37.5 with motion smoothing) but at any time I could drop the resolution a mere 20% and be at the equivalent 90hz all day and enjoy the smoothness of that. (IF I have updated and working 90hz firmware). You have not been cgeated by 90hz-only.
The laptop thing is the fault of the laptops in general.

But nothing I’m saying forgives Pimax for not simply calling it Pimax 8KX2… or perhaps Pimax 8KY (no that doesn’t work)… or Pimax 8k90…

2 Likes

Yes I can imagine. @SweViver had used the 8kX with his 1070 laptop in a limited capacity while working on PE. As long as you had a quality laptop(many are incompatible due to internals) it worked well until Firmware 298 that introduced 90hz.

Granted desktops were recommended for best experience due to being much more powerful.

If they can’t fix the new model you may need to see if they can ship you an earlier model that has greater compatibility or request a full refund.

It was one of reasons during KS and perhaps pre KS it was discussed the benefits of supporting lower refresh rates.

Movies being 24p makes 75hz more ideal than 90hz, right? Thats an excellent point I hadn’t considered that but then why not 72hz…

1 Like

That I am not sure. 75 on the 8kX was likely because they were going for max possible refresh rate at the time for native.

Xtal iirc there 5k and 8k models were originally 75hz.

2 Likes

Yes, that was me…both posts. After the Reddit post i discovered this forum so i started posing here.

3 Likes

Well said. I liked your analysis for sure. Thanks!

are you able to recommend a Dp converter can do all just that?

90Hz didn’t work on my 8KX with the standard 299 firmware. I have a desktop with a Gigabyte 3080 Ti GPU and 5900X CPU.

Pimax customer support sent me P2_DEBUG_8KX_M299_t20211101115020_r85cdd55_forEnableHDCP.dfu which has had 90Hz working perfectly for me. By the filename, this appears to be a special build which has HDCP support.

Your comment that HDCP support has been removed and won’t be coming back has me concerned that I won’t be able to upgrade to future firmware releases without losing 90Hz (which I won’t be willing to do). Is that the case?

2 Likes

Could anyone upload that FW and share it?

1 Like

@PimaxQuorra can you have the team release this firmware without needing it to be requested. @playa would add it to his repo.

1 Like

Hello,

You can try to download this firmware from the link below.
P2_DEBUG_8KX_M299_t20210922093913_r6066b70.dfu

1 Like

it seems to be not the same, as the name suggests?!

Hello,

It’s a different firmware, if you’re using desktop, I would recommend this version.

Is there a version for laptop?

1 Like

Still need P2_DEBUG_8KX_M299_t20211101115020_r85cdd55_forEnableHDCP.dfu tested your suggested FW and it didnt help.

1 Like

Here is the version @Sargon mentioned: P2_DEBUG_8KX_M299_t20211101115020_r85cdd55_forEnableHDCP.dfu

For me this is also the best 8kX firmware to date when it comes to 90 Hz support.

@PimaxQuorra wasn’t there the plan to provide these firmwares on the official Pimax page?
The PiTool auto update is still uploading incompatible fimware to people’s 8kX headsets. Me and others have reported this months ago - nothing happens…

3 Likes

You can forget about Pimax providing their Files properly, they dont even have an Version History for PiTool which would be very useful (For Example in my Case using Pimax 4K with Nolo which only works on specific Versions).
But dont worry, the Community started collecting a while ago, ill try to keep the Collection updated, thx to @Heliosurge for tagging me so i keep up-to-date ^^ > https://community.openmr.ai/t/downloads-collection-of-piplay-pitool-software-and-similar

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, heroic effort! Wasn’t aware that this exists!

2 Likes