New AMD GPUs and Pimax, any news on compatibility?

That’s all fine and good, and thanks for any kind of response.

But what PIMAX should be doing is officially stating the compatibility on their website for the PIMAX Crystal for AMD. Lack of saying anything, especially touching on any lacking tech to inform the consumer of what they can expect when purchasing a PIMAX Crystal unit is, what I would classify as, ‘irresponsible’.

Thanks for your understanding

1 Like

I think that’s because they don’t know the compatibility yet. My understanding is that AMD hadn’t sent them any cards (at least as of 1 month ago) while Nvidia sent them months prior to 40XX launch. So I can’t imagine they can commit to compatibility just yet.

2 Likes

Perhaps but that doesn’t change that Amd 6000 series gpus have been available to get things working.

Now on the Nvidia 4000 series cards atm 4090 it doesn’t look good that some users are experiencing atm unresolvable lag? issues that seems to require Nvidis and pimax to work on implementing a fix. As in theory tjis should have been resolved before releasing the 4090 or shortly after.

3 Likes

Well, Pimax may have to build first another Gen1 to analyz the 40xx thing , as all stock has been sold. :see_no_evil: :innocent:

1 Like

Talking about the 8K-X, a 7900 XTX with DP 2.1 should be generally downward compatible…?

1 Like

yes

20202020202020chars

2 Likes

8K-X Rev 1 works with 7900 XT(X) !! :partying_face:

I got my 7900 XTX today, and even before starting 3DMark for benchmark, I launched PiTool in order to check whether my 8K-X is recognized: It is, and it shows the Pimax-logo in space.

All other VR gaming tests and benchmarks still outstanding.

But at least, it generally seems to work! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Have you tried to playa gam3? People are saying it recognizes it but there is noticeable lag and dropped frames

Please do keep us updated! Also maybe try the open vr tool kit etc

1 Like

I’m am only playing with OpenXR since months already since it gives a significant FPS boost compared to SteamVR.

1 Like

Okay, launched ATS => directly from the start horrible input lags and image stuttering. Absolutely unplayable. <20 FPS in the start menu already.

And even in plain black SteamVR already, so not game-related at all.

Turning on Radeon Anti-Lag doesn’t change anything.

I don’t know what AMD has changed since Fury days where it last worked fine with my 4K / 5K+ - but this here is not working at all.

1 Like

This is good news. Though I have seen possibly 2 reports 1 here and 1 in r/pimax citing crashes and detection issues.

Might be an idea to compare gpu driver version, Vendor along with pimax particulars.

With the 4k were you lile other vega users needing to use a specialize firmware? The hd7950 and R9 series were fine.

A fellow whom upgraded from iirc the 6800xt which worked well. But the 7900 is having issues.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-12-2-rx7900

AMD have acknowledged that VR performance on the newest cards, on some games at least, is a bug.

1 Like

Seems like some blanket statement that could have been said for more than these patch notes.

At least they acknowledge it and I hope they will address it soon.

Yeah, definitely but I guess there’s a pretty long list of issues. Ultimately, it’s good that the acknowledged it like @er_garry said, and hopefully we’ll see the 7900XTX be a great VR option a few months down the line.

1 Like

I wish I could share your optimism regarding AMD and their driver support…

AMD seems to always start with driver issues with each new release. The good news is that they DO eventually refine them nicely. Sort of like Pimax. Nvidia drivers aren’t always perfect either and new cards often have glitches in some areas. My first ‘fancy’ card was an ATI card that was quite expensive back in the early 90’s. It wouldn’t work at all with my sim of choice back then which was SVGA Air Warrior on the old Genie network.
AMD will get there with the 7900’s. Eventually.

1 Like

Indeed not long ago they released a surprise legacy driver that gives impressive gains for older what was/is end of life cards.