New AMD GPUs and Pimax, any news on compatibility?

Ha, good to know. I only came cross him recently, appreciate the heads up!

1 Like

Hmmmph… Well. It seems to me that if A_M_D_ really wants to compete in this space with _n_V_idia, they’re going to need to do way much more than what they’ve been doing (which is what really? in terms of VR).

Otherwise, this (ME) person is going back to nVi_d_ia and ebay’ing his 6900XT. 7000 series doesn’t give me any confidence due to the historical trend of A_M_D’s insufficient action IMO. :frowning:

1 Like

HI

Personally I’ve never pro amd or pro nvidia, I’ve had ATI/Matrox /Vodoo3DFX /Amd/Nvidia cards since 1995.

We often say that we French people are not pragmatic like the Anglo-Saxons, but I’m going to become Anglo-Saxon, you have to be realistic, pragmatic in VR since 2012, which is the company that has invested in VR in graphics cards and developing graphics drivers for our headsets:

-Nvidia

At the last AMD conference last November, Amd talking about vr? Nope
Amd talking about partnerships with development studios for vr games? No
Amd only talked about flat/pc games in 1440p/4k/8k that’s all!!!

That’s it and it’s not Pimax / Meta / Valve that will force Amd to work on VR?
Intel and its new graphics cards are they talking about VR? No
VR is still a niche market and amd and other companies like microsoft don’t believe in it and don’t work on it.

Since the release of the Rtx 4090, in vr on youtube, we only see this for us simers, to see videos of 8kx + Rtx 4090 helmets on simulators like Dcs world / Mfs 2020 / Il2 Bob / Asseto / Iracing.
Do you watch videos in vr with pimax /G2/Index with amd cards in vr? very very little

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yeah… You’re right. I just know that competition is a good thing and it just seems A_MD can’t/won’t tackle VR with any noticeable efforts. Is it impossible to use an AM_D GPU with VR? NO
But when one is dropping, perhaps over a thousand dollars on a GPU, and one also wants to explore VR… What is one to do except go to n_Vidia? n_Vidia, by sheer market share alone, is the default standard that all VR companies prioritize. I was hoping things would change by now with _AMD and we’d see a massive push from them for their _GPUs, but it still shows it’s second fiddle to their _CPUs, with their +GPU drivers still rather flakey…

1 Like

hello

I totally agree with your opinion.
I too would like real competition from the gpu manufacturer for Vr.
It would be very beneficial for us in price, in game development with cooperation, in quality of graphics drivers.
But when AMD bought out #ATI at the end of the 2000s, AMD as a company was weakened to almost put the key under the door.
In addition Amd was in a war in processors Vs Intel.
And this war Vs Intel weakened amd so much in 2010 that for 8/10 years it did not develop anything in modern gpu and that left the field open to nvidia.
And nvidia has since become the GPU leader for gamers around the world.
In September 2016 when nvidia unveiled its gtx 1000 during its conference, unveiled a gpu adapted by its architecture, its drivers for the new technology that is the very nascent Vr with the oculus Cv1 / Htc Vive headsets, one would have thought that 'Amd, microsoft, intel were going to replicate commercially and technically??

We are still waiting for their response!!!

Aplushhsshh/Laurent :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Yes. I used to have an ATI GPU and Athalon 64. The drivers from ATI were notoriously bad, and the motherboard drivers for the AMD CPU almost as bad… So much so that I stopped building with AMD since like I think 2004. Since then, I haven’t gone wrong with Intel and nVidia.
But. I thought to revisit AMD after their 3000 series CPUs and build a system with a 5900X and 6900XT.
I’m OK with the CPU, but the GPU drivers are still kinda flakey with lots of unfixed issues and a weaker feature set. At that time, I wasn’t sure about going in to VR. But now that we’re seeing more headsets come out, I’m thinking to try. But with my AMD 6900XT, even if it works, I’m suspecting I may encounter more issues and limited support (to no support) by VR makers and AMD themselves.

So… Not saying nVidia doesn’t have problems too. But I think they’re just the more mature/established platform for gamers and with better VR support.

It’s hard to see AMD will make the necessary inroads with VR makers within the next 6mos - Year to sway me from moving away from them.

2 Likes

I have a full AMD setup since 2 year (when I bought my 6800XT), and I had 0 problems in VR.

I have a Pimax 8KX with the 90hz native mode enabled (first model), a Quest 2 and a Pico 4 (this two running by Virtual Desktop) and all games works without problems. Also I had a Vive Pro 2 and a Reverb G2 and they worked fine, but I couldn’t get used to their FoV and SweetSpot.

So AMD cards can run VR Games (at least the 6000 family).

It’s true that for VD the Nvidia 3000 family seems to be a little better, since they have a more efficient encoder. But I hope this will be fixed with the AMD 7000.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, but until Varjo ‘officially’ supports AMD, and until PIMAX is willing to ‘officially’ state that the PIMX Crystal supports AMD, and they state any limitations (if any) due to AMD drivers, it’s hard for me to find confidence.

It’s a TON of money to drop on a VR headset like the Varjo or Crystal. If it doesn’t work out and or doesn’t get the support needed by AMD, then I’m left with a headset that may not work or work as well as it could/should. And then I’m left buying an nVidia GPU on top of it.

1 Like

Yes, I’m fully agree.

But I think it’s not all on the AMD side, because the first 8KX model have full support to them and even Mobile GPUs (Nvidia and AMD), but the lastest model doesn’t.

It will be very helpful if @PimaxQuorra or @PimaxUSA clarify why they lost compatibility with them. If is some standard not fully implemented in the AMD cards (and mobile GPU), or if they now relay on some “Nvidia tricks” to compress the image or similar (instead of use a standard).

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hi

Thank you for your feedback with your amd Rx 6800XT card in vr.
You say that there is no problem in vr, but what games do you play??
Me apart from #Alyx and some #roomscale games I drive a lot in simulation:
-Dcs world/Iracing/Il2 Bos/Il2 Tank/Il2 Flying circus

I had a friend from my simulation #Team who also bought an Rx 6800XT + HP G2 in Nov/2020 and he was disappointed in the simulation because he found the colors not beautiful + freezes in the simulation??

aplushhsss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

I’ve played a lot of games (Alyx, TWD, Arizona Sunshine, RE2 Mod, Contractos, Zero Caliber, Onward… etc), and also some sims like MSFS 2020, Assetto Corsa, Automobilista 2 or Porject Cars 2. And I don’t have any problem with my 6800XT.

For example in the MSFS 2020, with custom settings, I get around 30fps@2760*2760 with VD in my Pico 4, but thanks to the reprojection, the game experience is smooth.

But I remember that the G2 had a wierd issue with the drivers in SteamVR, because the 100% resolution was with a lot of supersampling instead of the native. And with that resolution, the 6800XT was struggled in demanding games.

3 Likes

thank you for your information, me in my g2 I pilot in simulation with #openXr/openToolsKit from now on, games more fluid than with #SteamVr
With My g2 I’ve Ss at 3800x3700 with My RTX 3090 and the game is amazing :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

In my observations, there have been a number of people across multiple platforms (Reddit, Here, Youtube etc…) communicating to PIMAX asking for a statement about PIMAX Crystal and compatibility with AMD GPUs. This has been happening since at least from their “Launch” video of the Crystal.
The only thing we have still on the PIMAX website is: “GPU: RTX 2080 or Above”
I’ve found no concrete official response from PIMAX about Crystal’s compatibility with AMD.

Partly, I believe there’s a certain lack of maturity within the company on the proper ways in which to communicate to the public and promote their products. Partly there just may be a lack of experience on the ‘Corporate’ level that borders on incompetence.
OR, conspiracy theory… PIMAX is in bed with nVidia in some respects on some agreement that nVidia will support full cooperation with PIMAX as long as PIMAX doesn’t do anything with AMD.

Either way, I think both PimaxQuorra and PimaxUSA 's hands are tied on this and are told to say nothing about it due to whatever the above reasons may or may not be.

Look, and from a business perspective from PIMAX, it makes sense for them to buddy up with nVidia, as simply look at the market share nVidia has. That’s the pathway to selling the most headsets, and to make sure it’s the best experience and working with the best tuning and features with a GPU maker like nVidia.

So while yes, AMD does NOT have a MAJOR leading market share in the GPU space, and the gap seems to just be getting bigger with nVidia, we’re still looking at around a 20-25% of users probably have an AMD GPU within 2-3 years old. GPUs that should have ‘some’ capability for VR to be worth the look.

So yeah, MAYBE we can get the PIMAX Crystal working well with, let’s say, an AMD 6900XT. There’s likely not going to be much if any help from PIMAX about it, nor AMD (unfortunately). AMD just does not have the clout and market share to be a convincing enough factor while on the golf range making these deals with VR makers that, likely, nVidia are doing.

So. We’ll have to wait for some bold adventurers with AMD GPUs to drop money on the PIMAX Crystal and hopefully provide independent reviews of the reality before it’s safe for people with AMD GPUs to buy a PIMAX Crystal. PIMAX doesn’t care about AMD, because AMD’s market share and influence, again, just pales in comparison to nVidia’s…

Best possible experience for PIMAX Crystal VR at this point is probably just the RTX4090. Even the new 7000 series from AMD probably still won’t make any dents. Early benches don’t even put the best AMD 7000 series capably of coming close to the 4090.

Reality sucks…

1 Like

Nonsense. With the old cards, AMD simply has to get its DSC under control at the driver level and that’s it. Nobody can say anything about the new cards because they don’t exist yet.

No Pimax Nvidia conspiracy, other high resolution HMDs have the same problem. (Xtal, Varjo)

1 Like

Only the Revised 8kX has an issue with Amd cards.

1 Like

If that’s the case, why yet has PIMAX or ANYONE from PIMAX provided an OFFICIAL statement of compatibility for the PIMAX Crystal with AMD GPUs?

I’m planning on building a new VR computer in 2023. I’d buy the 7900 AMD if Pimax supported its 2.1 display port.
Anybody know if Pimax might be planning on making the 12k work with that? The increased band width would be a great asset at that resolution.

1 Like

So the problem is a standard bad implemented by the AMD cards. Can @PimaxQuorra or @PimaxUSA confrim that?

I hope that the problem won’t happen in the new 7000 series, as them have DP 2.1

We work directly with both AMD and Nvidia and are excited to support both of them whenever technically possible. The goal is to be fully compatible with all recent graphics cards that offer sufficient horsepower to drive our latest headsets.

4 Likes