New AMD GPUs and Pimax, any news on compatibility?

Title basically says it all. I know Pimax had the 4090 a few months before it launched but it also seems like an unusual situation where Nvidia were sitting on them for a while. I do wonder if anyone at Pimax has gotten a 7900xtx/xt yet to test.

Main questions right now for me:

Compatibility with 2076 model 8K X
Compatibility with Pimax Crystal (and I suppose by extension the reality line in general).

3 Likes

With display port 2.1 we don’t need dcs anymore so we could drive the Pimax 12k qled at native res without display stream compression at 90hz with 6k per eye :heart::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ah yeah, that’s a good point! Isn’t the 12K going to be 2 x 1.4 DP though? Not sure if it’s possible to do 2.1 with it then. Hopefully it’s fine though!

2 Likes

The 12k will have 1 single Display Port 1.4

There is a version in the Pimax lab with two display port 1.4 though :smiley:

I guess that rules out AMD then, unless they have drastically improved their DSC.

@PimaxQuorra can we get an update on Amd gpu compatibility issues on the 8kX 2076 model? As well as Crystal/12K Amd gpu support?

5 Likes

The weird thing though on 2075 8kX Amd gpus have had better success with 90hz since first alpha/beta firmware vs Nvidia.

2 Likes

Part of me regrets switching to the 2076. I probably should have stayed on the 2075 and got the 7900xtx! Always get burned for chasing the latest and greatest VR hardware ha.

3 Likes

Source, please?

The last thing I’ve seen Pimax say about this was that they were still deciding on 1x or 2x DP1.4 or 1x DP2.0 during the MRTV interview some months ago. I haven’t seen any decision on this posted since then, though I presume DP2.0 is out since the nVidia 40 series doesn’t support it.

Yeah, I’d like a source too tbh. I know they said for sure, on the discord, that the prototypes use 2x1.4. I vaguely remember recently 2x1.4 being mentioned again but can’t find it.

For the crystal a single 1.4 DP will be fine, but again only with Nvidia due to their superior DSC. I don’t really see how the 12K could use a single 1.4 port, even maxing out nVidias DSC at 3:1.

I simply asked the COO and he told its a single display port 1.4 with dcs for the 12 qled

1 Like

That’s not what I’ve been hearing for almost a literal year now from them.

@PimaxUSA Could you confirm this? That would be wild if a single 1.4 DP is possible, I guess between pushing DSC to the limit and using foveated rendering?

3 Likes

We always could exchance the headset,i got the 2075 dmas model… :wink:

1 Like

A lot comes down to GPU and display bridgechips implementation.

If the 12k is delayed they maybe hoping for dp 2.0 being implemented in components otherwise likely will be just DP 1.4.

But yeah good to ask @PimaxQuorra to get clarification if possible at this time.

4 Likes

I would be interested if pimax has been in touch with Amd new gpu’s. It would be in there best interests.

2 Likes

@PimaxUSA mentioned on discord that they have indeed been in touch and working with AMD, but couldn’t give any insight into progress.

Edit: Just to clarify, he mentioned they were working with AMD in general. He didn’t specify the new cards specifically but that would be likely I’d imagine.

2 Likes

Appreciate the info. I am considering going to red team but of course not until i see reviews

1 Like

@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra Please support the new AMD RDNA 3 graphics cards. The number of computers that can handle high-end VR headsets is about to drastically increase because of their affordability compared to NVIDIA’s overpriced cards. It would be a shame for Pimax to give up market share by not supporting what will be a large portion of the new high-end market.

You used to support AMD graphics cards on the first model of the 8KX. I don’t know your reasons, but if they were based on using unsupported display chips in the later models, please figure this out on the Crystal and 12K. I’m sure one reason that made it more difficult was that the RDNA 2 graphics cards have lower memory bandwidth and lack DSC compared to NVIDIA cards, but this is no longer the case. The Radeon 7900 XTX and Radeon 7900 XT have on-par or higher memory bandwidth than NVIDIA’s RTX 4090 and RTX 4080, support Display Stream Compression (DSC), and have Display Port 2.1 ports.

The 7900 XTX and RTX 4090 both have 24GB of RAM and 1TB/s memory bandwidth. The 7900 XT has 20GB of RAM and 800 GB/s memory bandwidth, while the RTX 4080 only has 16GB of RAM and 720 GB/s memory bandwidth. All four GPUs support DSC.

If an RTX 3080 with a measly 10GB RAM and 760 GB/s memory bandwidth is supported, there is absolutely no reason you cannot support modern AMD graphics cards with much higher overall gaming performance, twice the RAM, higher memory bandwidth, DSC, and more advanced Display Port 2.1 connection. If we’re being real, you guys can get this working better on a 7900 XT than on an RTX 3080 10GB. Using proprietary NVIDIA technologies to achieve a slightly better frame rate, such as eye-tracked foveated rendering, is not a good excuse, as it will only work in a handful of games anyways and not provide a substantial enough uplift to warrant not supporting half of the market.

Not supporting the latest generation of AMD cards is anti-consumer and anti-pimaxian. I would be really disappointed to see the only truly high-end consumer VR company only support a single GPU manufacturer out of the paltry two options that we consumers must choose from. We all know the Pimax 12K will be delayed, and that’s fine, but please use that time to rectify this. It’s not VR 3.0 if it only supports NVIDIA cards and uses last-gen technology (Display Port 1.4). If you don’t want to support DP 2.1 since only AMD supports it, that’s fine, but at least match the base compatibility on NVIDIA cards with DP 1.4.

On a side note, have you looked into using HDMI 2.1 instead of DP 1.4? You get almost all the benefits of DP 2.1 except both NVIDIA and AMD support this connection. Almost double the raw bandwidth of DP 1.4 but it also supports DSC (as far as I’m aware). RTX 3000, RTX 4000, and Radeon 7000 all have native HDMI 2.1 ports. You may be hesitant to drop RTX 2000 support since at first glance they do not support HDMI 2.1 natively, but they actually can support full HDMI 2.1 speeds through the proprietary USB-C virtual link port NVIDIA included in that generation of cards (looks like it came in handy after all). There are affordable USB-C to HDMI 2.1 virtual link converters with support for things like VRR and DSC. This would allow for the those older RTX 2000 cards to still be supported (even though I don’t think anyone wants to run a Crystal or 12K with only an 8GB card).

I don’t even expect this to be ready at release, but I request Pimax to make a commitment to support RDNA 3 AMD graphics cards in the future. Perhaps you guys are working on this, and I truly commend you if you are, but I wrote this post because I have not seen anything to indicate that you are, and I want to put my appeal out there. If for some reason there’s a genuine reason AMD cannot be supported at all then I’m very curious to hear it.

I say all this as an NVIDIA RTX 3090 owner on behalf of all my friends and strangers upgrading to the new AMD cards and wanting to own a Pimax but will only be able to buy one with official Pimax support. If I weren’t lucky enough to find a used RTX 3090 on the cheap in this GPU market crash, I would have also been in this group of AMD owners, so I strongly feel the disappointment. Thank you for taking the time to read this; wishing you all the best.

4 Likes

And once again, you have to address the request to AMD! The card must pump enough data through the connector. Nothing ro do with pimax or xtal or varjo.

for compatibility with the old 8kx, the HMd is officially rated only up to 75Hz. 90Hz is a “can, but doesn’t have to work” For the new ones, 90Hz is standard with the option of 120Hz. This requires more data that AmD, at least with the old cards, cannot deliver.

I never really like the car comparison either, but this question is like asking the tire manufacturer to make the engine run faster. :wink:

1 Like