New AMD GPUs and Pimax, any news on compatibility?

I think the point for me is that I’m paying up front for features that aren’t quite ready or mature enough. Or it means I might be crashing in my favorite game(s) with their newer drivers and have to stay on an older driver many months for stability. Which means I could be missing out on other features/improvements overall that they bring out finally with newer drivers.

Sometimes I feel by the time I get the experience I expected from the beginning, it may be time to consider an upgrade.

I guess again it kinda just comes back to nVidia for VR. If one wants the best possible experience, they’re probably or most certainly better off with nVidia over AMD.

Actually, given the issues with the 4090 and Pimax HMDs, even Nvidia isn’t always a sure thing right out if the gate

From what I’ve been reading, ‘on the whole’ nVidia has just been better historically regarding VR.

Generally a good info they are aware of this.
But unfortunately, I think I cannot wait until then with the 7900 XTX I’ve here, because I have to return it within the next week… And it can take AMD two weeks or two months … or longer… to resolve the issue. Not talking about X-Mas and New Year holidays right now.

So, even though it is a pity, I will have to return this one and perhaps give it a new try as soon as the bug is fixed.

Meanwhile, I’ve already ordered a native 16pin cable from cablemod for the next NVidia’s.

1 Like

Funny enough they actually just got FCC filing approved, and just put up the iPhone app for the AIO headset. Seems like they are aimming to ship next month but they have been saying that for months. They also are only communicating to the ZecZec backers (Taiwan kickstarter). That platform seems to offer refunds so that’s likely why. KS and campfire are over 3 months now without any communication.

Also, the “deactivated” thing is very misleading (deliberately so by Kickstarter, to make it seem like they done something). It just means that that button is deactivated (the button that leads to IndieGogo to give more money). The KS itself is unaffected. Kickstarter seems more and more like a giant scam to me tbh. Like I know that you’re agreeing to possibly never get anything etc but it just seems so shady in general. Not sure if I would be willing to use the platform again going forward after Arpara. Like Arpara literally broke the terms of service, not just unfulfilling the orders, and KS keeps just giving roundabout answers and ignoring.

Anyway, that’s off topic haha.

1 Like

ohh, AMD is really Hot-Stuff

(Overheating, bad construction - sorry, vid in german)

Yes, but Igor already as an information from an OEM, that it just might be a faulty batch with not enough coolant liquid in the vapor chamber.

So, there is a chance the problem itself can be solved easily and there’s just a number of already sold cards out there, which get too hot.

:pray:t3:

For the moment, I am still unsure for which GPU to go for:
4080 and 4090 have that little latency lag issue - but this might be resolved in the near future already. And NVidia GPUs generally are much more reliable in terms of VR performance.

On the other side, AMD as already admitted the VR issue in their driver release - so this hopefully might be resolved with the next driver release already, too.
=> In that case, another trial with a 7900 XTX might be worth the effort.
(Even though AMD cards still have problems with my 47"-TV as soon as I enter Windows safe mode - which doesn’t happen normally - but which is a bit laboriuos as soon as necessary…)

=> A good working 7900 XTX in VR at least on 4080 level, but without latency lags, would safe a lot of money…

Nevertheless, 4080 and 4090 do safe a bit more power / energy…

Dammit - not a good time for impatience :smile:

1 Like

We in the Watercool community are always happy to welcome new members. xD

1 Like

?? What do you mean? :slight_smile:

Water solve the temp problem.
But drives the costs almost to Nvidia level…(under Air)
The prices for good 40xx blocks are also beyond good and evil. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

This for sure.

But what I ment was: If it was a production error with just one batch, it is easy to solve for AMD / for the manufacturer => Just ensure that all other and the next batches are well filled and okay.
It would look completely different and perhaps disastrous for AMD if it was a constructional fault :cold_sweat: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Sadly true, lol. The ‘correct’ answer here is to wait a few more months and pick the card that does what you need it to do - instead of buying one now and hoping it will get there.

As a fellow impatient tech buyer, I know how hard that can be. :smiley:

1 Like

Waiting is tough, but I’m holding until I see the 12k . If it looks good, I’ll build a new computer and pick my GPU then. I’m hoping that will be in the spring sometime. Or maybe, by the time the 12k rolls out, we’ll have an Nvidia 8090 or an AMD radeon 12000xtx to choose between.
:joy:

1 Like

Yeah, and this is my case in point exactly in another thread. They(PIMAX) having some trade up option from the Crystal to the 12K may potentially get more consumers to bite now on the Crystal and either keep it because it’s THAT GOOD, or trade up to the 12K if they have the system/money and if the 12K has some more desirable feature set.

PIMAX needs money NOW, not having people sit on their hands waiting for the 12K
Just my opinion, but for myself, I’d have a much easier time going with the Crystal if I at least had some reasonable trade-up path to the 12K if I decided I’d wanna do that in the future.

There are serious problems with using hdmi 2.1. It’s not used in VR devices because it has issues with performance degradation with cable length. We did test it extensively and it still could be potentially be used in a future device provided that the challenge with it are overcome. However the power feature has to be used because function without it is almost a non-starter.

4 Likes

It doesn’t make any sense for Pimax to have a trade-in from the Crystal to the 12K. The point of the trade-in is to push existing Pimaxians with Vision series headsets into the Reality series ecosystem. A customer with a Crystal is already in that ecosystem.

I’ve seen no evidence of this. Why do you think so?

1 Like

It’s ok. I’ll simply just disagree

Although neither you nor me nor anybody else here knows, whether this is true:

1. I am not responsible for the Chinese Covid politics in the past two years :roll_eyes:
  2. I am not responsible for the resulted logistic problems aroused out of this :face_with_spiral_eyes:
  3. And most of all: I am not responsible and disappointed, too, that even now - almost eight years after Oculus DK2 - with a dozen of good different HMD’s on the market, VR is still a niche :disappointed_relieved:
  4. I haven’t enough money, too :wink:
  5. My 8K-X is still working very well :smile:

So, after all, please tell me one good reason for me (!) (not for Pimax only) why I should change my 8K-X with that large FOV for a Crystal? :thinking:

=> vertical FOV is a little bit larger
=> but horizontal FOV is a bit smaller
=> and even with a RTX 4080, I still cannot get the maximum out of my 8K-X - so why wasting money (from my side of the table) for a brand new VR model if I still cannot use my 8K-X in driving and space simulations with large FOV, 125-150% SS at stable 75 FPS/Hz at least - not talking about the 90Hz-mode…

???

The Crystal certainly is a another good step in the highend enthusiast VR sector :+1:t3: (a niche within a niche, btw…)
But imho, it is interesting mainly for people coming from a 5K(+), perhaps a 8K, and probably for those coming from other manufacturer’s HMDs. Any gain coming from a 8K-X and perhaps even some 5K+ configurations with high SS is negligible. And with regard to the horizontal FOV even contraproductive.

Besides:
Buying a 1.6 - 1.9k $ VR HMD (and above) just for playing Candy Crush, Beatsaber or VRChat is a bit as casting pearls before swine :white_circle: :pig: :wink:

I appreciate and support your advertising for Pimax HMD’s! :+1:t3: :partying_face: :sunglasses:

But perhaps, you’d better do so in some Oculus-Meta, HP or HTC/Vive forums :wink:

(All this with a wink - just my personal opinion - no offense :slight_smile: )

1 Like

My comment wasn’t for expecting everyone will and should buy a Crystal.

Certainly, if one is simply happy and satisfied with their current HMD or none at all. That’s fine.

Though, I take it from the angle that PIMAX is a business that ultimately would like to make money.

I’m not an expert on the 8K, though I believe there are certain features that may be desirable on the Crystal that the 8K doesn’t have. That and the visual quality and lenses on the Crystal is superior as well.

Agree on the FoV. I would prefer the Crystal have a better FoV TBH.

2 Likes

Totally agree.

I wonder how many people who might of bought the 8kX were put off when Pimax announced the 12k as imminent and have been waiting ever since for a headset that never arrived.

2 Likes