New 8K+ Owner - Visual Problem Difficulty Troubleshooting

@Cinemon
If you need help

Hello, I live just under 2 hours drive from you (near Bad Marienberg, RLP) and have a super well functioning 5k + and could help you
a = whether your 8k + is technically ok or Pitool software is set up correctly.
and
b = test my 5k + with my computer

feel free to contact me via PM
Jokuma

8 Likes

this really sounds like vision issue or nervous pathology.

I have 5k+ & quest as well, quest is super sharp, easy to focus with huge sweetspot, no double vision, no chromatic abberation at all. Pimax has issues with stereo overlap as already was mentioned but it’s solvable but if you even can’t see clear with 1 eye moving & tilting headset around without face cushion then this is the first case since 2016 (when I started interesting in VR) I hear about.

Sorry probably you already mentioned but do you have that drunk feeling when you try to focus with 1 eye?

I guess your headset is ok. The best case I can think of is visit to doctor.

2 Likes

Weird. That’s not how I would describe my Quest. I use just as much time finding the sweet spot on the Quest as I do on my 5K+.

Both take seconds but the point is the Quest is no different, to me, than the Vive or the Pimax regarding the sweet spot.

Mostly is has to do with getting the IPD right and the vertical placement (on both). Placing the headset high enough (they’re not supposed to rest on the nose as some think) is generally the issue, for me… :wink:

4 Likes

Are you using any 3rd party apps which can change vr res. like “fpsvr” ? have you tried take nvidia drivers to default settings?

2 Likes

Interestening, the first flag for me is that you seem to think the quest as horrible SDE, which is strange because its vertical resolution is like 1600

which for most people the sde is almost non existent. even though its pentile oled

the 8x+ has an rgb led at 2160 so there’s no easy it should be worse.

ate you sure what you ate seeing is sde?

do you wear glasses?

are your near sighted?

it seems your eyes have an high zoom factor.

1 Like

@bubbleball Is the actual version on the Website 260 the Same as the 260 Beta? Or are there differences?

How can I get a clean install of the headset and pitool?

@drowhunter I can see Pixels even on Apple Retina Displays, so its maybe only a wish that its in VR similar to Retina Displays.

I don’t think its the Placement or the Headset itself…I think it has to do with my sight or my perception.

1 Like

260 is only a beta. Haven’t had a stable release yet.

1 Like

Remember to also tilt the HMD up and down as well as left right up down.
I had to tilt the HMD up from bottom to get it to sit right.
Dose your HMD have the comfort kit fitted ?

Yes, comfort kit. I have tried all possible Positions :frowning:

1 Like

Try it with out the comfort kit fitted.
Should get you closer to the lenses.
If that makes it worse then try moving the HMD away from for eyes.

1 Like

Ive tried it without the kit too. It’s the same. I found out something this morning. If I hold the Headset 10 cm in front of my eyes and look through the lense, the image look sharp.

2 Likes

10cm from hmd without comfort kit? Or 10cm from comfort kit?

This sounds like you may need prescription lenses for VR. Have you tried this the Quest?

no matter what. if I have a distance of 10-20 cm from the HMD I can see relatively sharp. but its senseless. I mean a distance like this:

Imgur

3 Likes

That is very strange indeed. Suggests the optics may indeed be out of alignment. VR headsets are supposed to be collimated to infinite focus, much like an aircraft HUD.

If possible, you should take your HMD to someone with experience in VR.

3 Likes

That is quite excessive. If someone else has clarity it would seem maybe you might have some form of far sightedness.

3 Likes

That was my thought also. Especially since you had the same experience with the other HMD also.

3 Likes

Have you tried to push onto the lenses with your fingers to check if they are correctly clipped into their enclosure ?

2 Likes

well maybe Im not getting the sweetspot term right, will try to clarify what I meant:

E.g. I have a vive pro & in the middle it looks sharp, but if you move your eyes aside then all a bit smeared & some chromatic abberation can be spotted (it’s the case with vive pro only though), on quest if I look aside the whole image is sharp, sure if I will move my HMD far enough (0.5+ cm) then it will be out of focus, but not as bad as on other HMDs, e.g. on my pimax 5k+ I really need to do it precisely, while IPD setting has some freedom on Quest (Im 67). On pimax if I spread lenses a bit further from each other at some point I can see the image sharp on the side & even in the middle, but stereo overlap in middle is not usable. However when I configure overlap precisely in the middle I can not clearly see the image from I guess about 100-110 FOV (same as on common headsets). Also in terms of sweetspot index & rift S are good ones, Quest is a bit worse I guess but still really good IMO.

I guess if you close one eye & try to move different headsets around the clearest point you will notice that Quest has better clarity, probably you can also experience IPD issue though when one of the eyes is blurried a bit

1 Like

IMO oculus has the best lenses in the game right now, index lenses maybe tied. May be an unpopular opinion but the image is just super uniform on the current oculus hmds, you have to try to get any artifacts. For the record I think Pimax lenses are awesome, but yeah its a way harder to wear the hmd, and theres some definite chromatic abberation among other issues. Canting makes these even more weird feeling…

As others have said if you can’t get the quest feeling right I’d check your eyes tbh. My IPD is 62, and 59-65 are acceptable on the quest.

3 Likes

You do realize the optical distance should not change if the VR display is collimated? A pixel in the headset should appear to be roughly as far away as distant stars in the night sky.